PDA

View Full Version : Rollers

surgtech1956
10-16-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm thinking about my winter training plans(here in Michigan). I have a treadmill and we just bought an ellipital trainer. My plans are to ride outside as long as possible. I do cross country ski, but sometimes its into January before we get any substantial snow. So, I've been thinking about rollers. I don't necessary want to improve my form/technique, etc... but aerobic/fitness. I like the idea of rollers because they are easier on bikes. Any advice on rollers over a trainer??? Thank you

hammermama
10-20-2011, 03:23 PM
i have both. I live in Ontario, Canada, where the winter is long and inhospitable so riding indoors is a necessity. I had a trainer for several years and just got a set of rollers last winter.

I use the trainer for long sessions (over 1.5hours) or for intervals. I use the trainer for long sessions because I can watch a movie (to distract myself from the fact that I am getting nowhere fast) while on the trainer and for intervals because I can easily adjust effort. On the trainer, I would for sure get an indoor-trainer-specific tire (hard plastic, no traction on the road but really durable for the trainer).

I use the rollers strictly for spinning and for warming up (before doing strength training, etc.) and not usually for more than 1hr, maybe an hour and a half. I say this because the rollers (at least for me anyways) need more concentration. :) I cannot watch a movie while on the rollers, or have my children around otherwise I am at risk of losing balance and falling off, It's strictly the ipod and my spinning legs . I also find it harder to do intervals on the rollers for the same reason, risk losing balance when changing speed, standing up... The rollers are A LOT of fun though and great to develop/maintain your core. I credit the time spent on the rollers last winter with better handling in slippery situations (ice, mud..).

hope this helps. good luck in your shopping around :)
julie

jyyanks
11-01-2011, 07:17 PM
I actually bought a used trainer and used rollers for the price of what it would have cost me to buy one item used. I was not sure which one to get and didn't want to invest a substantial amount on $. For $200, I got cycleops mag trainer with block and a set of nashbar rollers.

I heard rollers are less boring but they take awhile to get used to. My plan is to start with the rollers and if I can't cut it, I will sell the rollers and set up the trainer.

ny biker
11-01-2011, 07:28 PM
I was told to start with the rollers in a doorway so you can keep yourself from falling while you get used to them.

So I went out and bought a new trainer. I just don't need anything new to practice right now.

SheFly
11-02-2011, 04:09 AM
I moved from all indoor workouts on the trainer to all indoor workouts on the rollers a couple of years ago. I am comfortable enough now that I can watch TV or have a conversation with someone else in the room while riding. I can also drink from my water bottle, stand a bit (this is still pretty hard for me) and change speeds to do interval work. My HR is ALWAYS higher on the rollers than it ever was when I used the trainer.

For me, the rollers are more interesting and have GREATLY improved my pedal stroke, form and handling skills on the road. I know you're not looking for that, but it is a nice benefit.

I can also ride the rollers for a couple of hours, though an hour is more typical.

If you HAVE to ride inside, either will work well for you. The rollers just have a steeper learning curve.

SheFly

surgtech1956
11-02-2011, 06:13 AM
I still haven't decided on either one yet. I like the fact that I could watch a movie on a trainer, but don't like the fact that its harder on my bike, unless I use my hybrid on it. With the rollers, I'm not so concerned about developing my pedaling. We did buy an elliptical trainer.

SheFly
11-02-2011, 07:15 AM
FWIW - I don't think the trainer is any harder on your bike than the rollers, depending on how much you plan to use them. I have used a trainer with my carbon race frame for an entire winter, and just changed the rear tire to something cheap. On the rollers, I now also change my tires, but I'm putting A LOT of miles and hours on mine through the winter...

SheFly

Sylvia
11-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Some roller manufacturers make a forkstand for their rollers. I know kreitler makes one.

You can see it here. http://youtu.be/fUGkWNJv9eY

Reesha
11-03-2011, 06:44 AM
I still haven't decided on either one yet. I like the fact that I could watch a movie on a trainer, but don't like the fact that its harder on my bike, unless I use my hybrid on it. With the rollers, I'm not so concerned about developing my pedaling. We did buy an elliptical trainer.

I have both now and I think I will like them for different reasons (will have more to add when I actually get decent at the rollers). I can only manage like 10 minutes on the rollers right now before I'm just exhausted and stressed out (that's WITH my partner standing right next to me to catch me when I start to fall! He is happy to help).

KnottedYet
11-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Why not get a snow bike instead?

I rode my el cheapo mtb all over the snow in Michigan. Worked great. Stay off the ice, ride in fields or parks, nice work out and you get your butt outside in the fresh air and have the thrill of facing the elements head on! Your bike handling skills will get a huge boost.

Wear your usual winter clothes, just add helmet.

Google snow bike and ice bike. Lots of good info out there.

solobiker
11-04-2011, 02:07 PM

I rode my el cheapo mtb all over the snow in Michigan. Worked great. Stay off the ice, ride in fields or parks, nice work out and you get your butt outside in the fresh air and have the thrill of facing the elements head on! Your bike handling skills will get a huge boost.

+1 DH got me a set of studded bike tires last year that work great. It is a little nerve racking at first espec in icy areas but they do hold great on the icy roads for the most part.

Reesha
11-04-2011, 02:30 PM

$$$

The rollers are the property of our cycling team at school and I'm able to use them in the off season. The new trainer cost me $125 bucks (for a CycleOps Fluid2 no less woo)

Another issue is busyness. I just have a ton going on, it will be easy to get on and off a trainer and get a nice demanding workout in without having to worry about the stop signs, stop lights and city traffic on a ride.

I'm going to aim for ten minutes on the rollers a day for balance.

KnottedYet
11-05-2011, 04:37 AM
Sorry, Reesha, I should have specified that I was replying to Surgtech there and her worries about biking in Michigan snow and salt. :o

surgtech1956
11-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks Knot, I was just thinking about using my Trek 7100(hybrid) or getting a cheapo mtn bike(from a big-box store) and using that. As you know, Michigan winters run the gamet in weather, sometimes theres no snow till January.