PDA

View Full Version : bruised foot?

latelatebloomer
11-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Hey, have any of you ever bruised the ball of your foot during a spinning class? Now that I know how hard riding on the road is, I've gotten pretty ruthless about cranking the resistance on the spin bike. However, I did a good hard class on Wed night, and noticed a limp/pain/tenderness coming on Fri morn, with no other injury or mis-step to account for it. I'm soaking my foot with Epsom salts and applying arnical gel.

Aw, man, did latelate just invent another way to hurt herself? :mad:

Trekhawk
11-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Hey, have any of you ever bruised the ball of your foot during a spinning class? Now that I know how hard riding on the road is, I've gotten pretty ruthless about cranking the resistance on the spin bike. However, I did a good hard class on Wed night, and noticed a limp/pain/tenderness coming on Fri morn, with no other injury or mis-step to account for it. I'm soaking my foot with Epsom salts and applying arnical gel.
Aw, man, did latelate just invent another way to hurt herself? :mad:

latelate - how is the foot feeling?

Make sure you give it plenty of rest down want to end up with a recurring foot problem. You really are working hard, just thinking about your spin classes makes me want to sit down for a rest.

Take Care mate and hope your feeling better soon.
:)

PinkRacer
11-21-2005, 02:02 PM
YES I've been there.... and it got much worse for me worse... I went to the Doc several times who thought is was a minor sprain. Finally after a year of pain in the ball of my foot I begged for a referral to a podiatrist…

Now 3 surgeries later I hope it’s finally healing…. (I had had surgery again in October and I’m still wobbling in a “special shoe”… :o

Having been super athletic my entire life left sesamoiditis and fractures of my sesamoid bones. http://www.podiatrychannel.com/sesamoiditis/

Both were totally broken in half :eek:

Asking the podiatrist what I could have done to prevent this is being fitted for orthodics years ago… They make them for all sorts of shoes these days. Or having used dancers pads for spinning class to pad the ball of the foot. who knew?

Mine is an extreme case but it never hurts to get it looked at. :rolleyes:

Now I have a Titanium foot, hum I should get a bike to match! :D

DeniseGoldberg
11-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Now that I know how hard riding on the road is, I've gotten pretty ruthless about cranking the resistance on the spin bike.

I have to start by saying I have never been to a spinning class, so I have no idea what you are asked to do. But from a cycling on the road perspective, cranking the resistance on the spin bike - by which I assume you are making it harder to pedal - is not a good technique for (real) cycling. Pushing hard gears is a good way to hurt your knees. You are much better off changing gears as the terrain changes so you can always maintain a good cadence.

--- Denise

latelatebloomer
11-22-2005, 03:37 AM
Thanks, Hawk, Pink, & Denise - the foot is much better with soaks, arnica, and wearing cushy shoes for a few days, so I don't think I did anything more serious. This is just another situation brought on my tendency to overdo/outdo and make unreasonable demands on myself.

Annoying, 'cause a brake problem caused me to lose the previous weekend rides, and I couldn't pedal, this past weekend.

Denise, there's a lot of spinning and cadence work in class, too, but perhaps in part of our location in the hills and mountains of PA, and the number of road riders, we do work on standing and seating climbs with resistance. The instructor is always cautioning us - this was my fault, my impatience with the big changes I'm asking my body to make. Sometimes I forget to treat her like a friend.

Pinkracer, I think a woman with a titanium foot could fix much of what's wrong with the world today. :rolleyes:

annie
11-25-2005, 05:05 PM
latelate,

Thanks for starting this thread. It made me really think about how I've been treating my feet and why I've got some pain going on.......... And also, thank you to PinkRacer for the link to the podiatry channel. Interesting info there. Much as I would like to feel (and BE) invulnerable to the pains and aches of overuse and aging, I need to realize I'm NOT! And I'm not alone and there are solutions and preventative measures out there. Thank you both for bringing them to my attention.

annie