PDA

View Full Version : Got my wetsuit--commited now!

Lise
11-18-2005, 07:44 PM
My new wetsuit arrived today! It's an Ironman Instinct "femme-fit". I walked around the apartment with it in the box for awhile. Then I opened the box, and put the wetsuit (folded up in the bag) down on a surface in every room of my apartment. Eventually I took it out of the bag and put it on my bed. I went and peed. I checked my email. I bit the bullet and put on my tri shorts and bra, and on with the wet suit! I even read the instructions!

I got the WLA size--Women's Large Athena. I think maybe I should have gotten the WL size. I'm smaller than I used to be, and I'll probably get smaller--or tighter, more muscular--over the winter, if I train like I plan to.

I have a sleeveless, short legged wet suit I wear for the Oly tri I do in a warm lake in August. It's perfect for that. But I want to do another one (or two) in lakes that are said to be really cold next year. So I made the commitment, and bought the suit on sale.

Anybody here with experience between WL and WLA size? :confused: It sort of bunches up under my armpits, and only there. The rest of it fits well. I'm 5'8", 148#, and wear a 36D, but maybe it's built for women even more "Athena" than I am. I'm going to call the company tomorrow and ask their advice. I may return it and try the WL size. Wishing I'd taken the time at the expo in August to try both on! Hindsight. Sigh.

Still. It's really exciting to be the kind of person who gets a wetsuit in the mail! Next big purchase is a "real" tri bike next April at the Bike Expo. I'll be asking y'all for advice, believe me.

Any suggestions on wet suit fit are much appreciated.

Lise

Running Mommy
11-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Lise-
Hmm they make an athena cut now huh? I'm only 5' 1", but I'm built like a stump. Add to that the 30 extra lbs I'm carrying around, and yeah- I'm an Athena.. sigh.. But a few years ago I went through the wetsuit by mail thing.. 6 suits later and I finally found one I could squeeze my butt intuo.It was a shorty too. But I did end up keeping 2 of the full suits. They are actually sleeveless "johns" one is an xterra and I think the other is a QR. They are both womens size large. If you want a smokin deal and don't need sleeves send me a pm. I really don't need 2 full length suits.
Not trying to sell you anything. Just thought of it as I was writing to say that I've "been there, done that" with the by mail thing! And I thought.. hmm maybe I could give one a new home. They are brand new, the xterra was worn once by my friend Steph.
Anyway, good luck w/ the search. I know how *fun* it can be (cough cough)... I really think someone needs to make wetsuits for REAL people!! lol

Nanci
11-19-2005, 03:02 AM
There's a wetsuit company called ProMotion that makes bigger wetsuits for shorter people. I almost got one last year, had it ordered in fact, but the company rep guy called to say he thought I needed a different size, and I just gave up. I've lost enough weight now, though, to be somewhere remotely close to the height and weight listed on the chart, if I stand on my tip toes and subtract a few pounds, and am hoping that by spring, I will be able to commit to a suit. For diving, though, I've had to buy three custom suits. Too bad they don't make those for tri's.

Nanci

Lise
11-19-2005, 07:36 AM
I'm waiting for the earth to turn far enough around that folks on the West Coast (of the US) wake up and start answering their phones :p I'm going to call the folks at Tri-Zone and ask their opinion of the WL vs. WLA fit.

RunningMommy, what do you think is the benefit of sleeveless vs full sleeve? I got a sleeveless short suit after trying a short sleeved suit--with the sleeves I felt like I was scooping up water with every stroke. I passed it on to a friend who loves it, though. My main reason for the shorty wet suit is so I can swim in my bra and tri shorts. At 36D, there's no way in H*LL I'm running in a swimming suit! I ordered the full suit for warmth and bouyancy in colder, longer swims.

I feel lucky with my long legs as an athlete. I am really even more impressed at your IM plans, learning that you're 5'1" and not thin! Have either of you ever seen Jayne Williams' book, Slow Fat Triathlete ? It's hilarious, and filled with useful info for the not-svelte-yet-athletic. I discovered the book in June, devoured it, gave it to my triathlete buddy, Nicole, and have emailed several times with Jayne. Her website is www.slowfattriathlete.com Enjoy! L.

Trekhawk
11-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Have either of you ever seen Jayne Williams' book, Slow Fat Triathlete ? It's hilarious, and filled with useful info for the not-svelte-yet-athletic. I discovered the book in June, devoured it, gave it to my triathlete buddy, Nicole, and have emailed several times with Jayne. Her website is www.slowfattriathlete.com Enjoy! L.

Hey Lise - I dont do Tri's but I do like a good read. I checked out the link and wow what an inspiring woman. Ill be getting a copy asap.
Thanks for posting the link and good luck with your wetsuit hunt. :)

Lise
11-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Hey Lise - I dont do Tri's but I do like a good read. I checked out the link and wow what an inspiring woman. Ill be getting a copy asap.
Thanks for posting the link and good luck with your wetsuit hunt. :)
I think you'll love it! Another great one is Swimming To Antarctica , by Lynne Cox. As the book cover says, "She's Lance Armstrong with body fat".

I called Tri-Zone. Their idea was to ship me the other size wetsuit, and then I try them both on, and ship back the one I don't want. OK. We'll do that. They're rolling out a new model, so these (Ironman Instinct) are on sale everywhere. Fortunately, they have one of the other size in stock still.

I can't explain why I love triathlon so much. But somehow, even if you're not so great at any one of the sports, there's always one you're better at than the others, and so you (I) feel like a success. Plus, people of all shapes and sizes do triathlons, and they're friendly and supportive. At least at the level at which I compete!

BTW, it was some unknown woman from this website that helped me figure out what to wear in a tri last spring. It was my first swimming-pool (vs. open water) swim in a tri, and they didn't allow wet suits. I was flummoxed about what to wear. I wrote to customer service at TE, and Susan found a thread from (what I now realize was) this discussion board. Told me just what type of bra and tri-suit to wear. It was perfect. Thanks, oh unknown helper from last April! :)

Lise

Running Mommy
11-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Lise-
Thanks for the link. That IS me! The chubby girl!! To get a better idea of the body "issues" I have you can check out my pics at:
http://photobucket.com/albums/a157/tony66denise69/?sc=1

Anyway, as far as the wetsuit.. I like the sleeveless. Back in the day (high school-80's) I used to surf in the chilly waters of norcal. Not only did I wear a full suit but an insulated cap and booties. We're talking COLD water! So I'm used to being in a full suit, but for some reason I feel more comfortable swimming in a sleevelss. I feel claustrophobic w/ sleeves on, or like I can't take a full stroke. Maybe I just haven't found the right suit? Personally I think it's my sausage arms... sigh... :rolleyes:
Anyway, the way I look at it is unless the water is below 65 I should be fine in sleeveless. As long as my torso stays warm I'm ok. And let me tell you- I will NEVER do a tri in water below 65! HA HA HA
Oh- and thanks to whoever gave the promotion idea. I think over on trinewbies there is a way to get a discount on them. I'll have to check it out.
Also Lise, if trizone isn't working give the folks at tri sports a call. They are FABULOUS! They are like the TE folks in terms of service. Top notch and VERY friendly. They also ship really quick. I'd give them 3 thumbs up if I had an extra thumb! :D
Anyway, good luck w/ your search, and thanks for the positve IM vibes. I need them right now! I'm in a training RUT! it's NOT good!! OY!! I'm thinking that maybe I need to start posting my training log. Maybe it'll make me feel more accountable... I'll have you girls to say "hey Running mommy, where are you" if I don't post! ha ha! I tell you, i need an industrial strength kick int he pants!

Lise
11-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Look at you go! Those pix are so cool! You are going to love Slow Fat Triathlete (SFT). Although you probably already know everything she talks about, but you'll laugh right along with her.

I want to do a tri in Lake Geneva, WI next fall. They have a 1/2IM up there. I am thinking I'll do the Oly distance next fall, to check it out. Much more hilly than anything I've yet done, so I hear. Also a cold lake. That's why I got the full suit. My friend N. wants to do the marathon with me next year, and I don't want to train for/do my first 1/2 IM followed 5 weeks later by a marathon. Maybe it would be fine, but it seems over-ambitious. So I'll do the Oly Lake Zurich tri mid-August, the Oly Lake Geneva tri mid-Sept, and the Chicago Marathon 10/22. Whoo-hoo! I must be an athlete! :eek: :D :eek: :confused: :D

I bought (and figured out) a new scanner! Here's a picture of me at the end of the Chicago Marathon.

Thanks for sharing the pix. You'll pick up the training again soon. One day, while you're saying, "whah, I don't wanna train!" you'll be pulling on your shorts and shoes and bra and shirt and heading out the door. Don't give up.