PDA

View Full Version : ISO quiet indoor trainer

ny biker
09-22-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm thinking about buying a new indoor trainer. The one I have works well enough -- it's a Performance Travel Trac 2000 that I bought used years ago. But it's kinda loud. I'd like to use the trainer more this winter that I have in the past, and for the sake of good relations with my neighbors (I live in a condo), I'm looking into getting one that is quieter.

I already have a mat to put beneath the bike/trainer, but I'm concerned that might not be enough. And I still need to turn the TV volume up pretty loud while I'm riding in order to hear Coach Troy.

So, what's the best trainer that is quiet?

Thanks!!

Blueberry
09-23-2011, 06:50 AM
I think my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine is pretty quiet. I can sleep in another room (with the door shut) while DH rides his (if he uses headphones - can't tolerate the TV even on low volume). And I'm a light sleeper.

If you're on an upper floor, I'd worry about vibrations. Maybe some of the floor padding plus a mat? My floor still vibrates with a mat.

TsPoet
09-23-2011, 08:57 AM
1up. Not silent, but not bad
http://www.1upusa.com/bike_trainer.html
also not cheap.

7rider
09-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Rollers.

ny biker
09-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Rollers.

Are rollers in general quiet or would I want to get a certain kind? I don't know anything about them.

Also, it would not be at all quiet if I fell over and hurt myself, what with the crashing sound followed by the loud swearing. ;) So that's something to consider.

7rider
09-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Overall, rollers will be quieter than a trainer. Less mass flinging around. Less mechanical noise.

If you're new or tentative, look for "parabolic" rollers, like these (http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1028825_-1___).

They are darned near impossible to ride off of them with the flared lip. But as someone who HAS ridden off regular rollers, I can attest to the fact that...it's not that bad. Really. Not the end of the world. Didn't crash. Stayed upright. Didn't rocket forward into the wall (or t.v.).

Rollers are much more gentle to your bike. They have much better and more real "road feel." And they help to make you a better, more efficient rider.

yougogirl
10-04-2011, 12:30 AM
I have a cyclo-ops and it's ok. My friend has the Kinetic and it is quite quiet, at least more than mine. I usually on the headphones when doing home sessions, so it's not an issue for me. Rollers are crazy. I'd get on my bf's once in a while back when I tried getting into Tris. They will definitely make you a better rider! Get the Kinetic!

ny biker
10-04-2011, 08:40 AM
The Kinetics are too expensive for me, unfortunately. I got a Cycleops Fluid 2 on Saturday -- thanks to the loyalty program at the LBS I saved 10%.

I haven't set it up yet. If it doesn't seem quiet enough, I'll get a second mat to put under it. But hopefully it will be quieter than the old one. It's the same one they use for fittings at the LBS and my recollection is that we could hold conversations with no problem while I was pedaling on it.

Owlie
10-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I have a magnetic trainer--it's not particularly quiet, but I figure that if my neighbors can have loud drunken parties at 1AM on weeknights, I can use my trainer during more normal hours. ;)

ny biker
10-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Well I'm trying to work with my loud upstairs neighbor to get her to quiet down, and in that spirit I don't want to be making noise with the trainer and cranking the volume on Coach Troy. Also I actually like my downstairs neighbors, who would hear the trainer noise more than the upstairs chick, so I don't want to bother them.