PDA

View Full Version : Every have a bad day? (mountain biking)

tablerock
04-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Do you guys ever have a REALLY bad day on the bike? One where you question why you are into the sport and if you will ever be any good at it? It happened to me last saturday--suddenly out of the blue (after 16 positive miles) I freaked out and couldn't ride anything!! I was walking stuff less technical than the sidewalk in front of my office (an exageration, but you get the picture). Things I normaly wouldn't think twice of I baled on.

What do you do when you have a day like that? Do you just give up and go home? do you keep riding (I didn't have a choice on Sat. if I wanted to get home)? Do you chant and do meditation? I was almost in tears at times I was so frustrated at myself!
I went out and hammered the next afternoon to try to rid myself of the residue of failure the experience left on me but it still isn’t totally gone even after two enjoyable rides. What if it happens again….
Any advice?

Irulan
04-23-2003, 09:32 AM
I have a few days like that. Here's how I deal with it because at times all I can see is how I suck and not what I can do.

I give myself to permission to do what ever feels best at the time... walking something, whatever. I've gotten to the point where I am so pissed at myself or frustrated that I am crying too... this is where I try and give myself a lot of nurturing messages like"hey it's a beautiful day', "you don't have to be ON every day" "give yourself credit for being out here" " there's always another day to push myself and try again"...

I try and stay out of my head and not listen to the "committee" that gives out lots of would'ves, could'ves, should'ves plus the if onlies.

I focus on my gut and what it tells me. I had a really bad airborne endo last year and for a month after I coulnd't ride anything that had a downhill. The way I dealt with it was go out and ride miles and miles of double track, alone, just trying to get to the comfort zone I had before. It took me a long time to get over that, and I still have trouble at that particular spot.

I think as women we are really hard on ourselves a lot. This is why I prefer mostly to ride with other women. I"ll find by talking ot them that we have a lot of the same shared experieces. I met another gal last summer who had a season similar to mine... new bike and a few bad wrecks to go with it. Even the best bike gal I know, never ever seen her dab, got a new bike and wrecked and was walking sections I thought I would never see HER walk... she just said she wansn't quite ready to try it again..

sorry to be so long winded.

Irulan

Kpicha
04-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Oh yeah, definitely! Just last Tuesday was one of those days where NOTHING was going right. My rear tire went flat and I had no pump :( and I just couldn't get a good feeling on the saddle no matter how many adjustments I tried to make.

B/c my tire was so low, I kept washing out and the smallest turns so I couldn't even come close to getting up any speed. I took one look at the climb that I usually try to make and then thought of all the chainsuck problems I'd been hearing about in relation to my bike and said, "forget it!".

So, yeah, it happens but there will be other days to ride and I take the good days with the bad and thank God that at least I have the ability to even get out and ride. Sometimes its even a month between rides so its even more frustrating when things don't go well! :) But, then those days when everything goes better than expected- those are the BEST :D

Cheers,
Kristina

MightyMitre
04-23-2003, 12:52 PM
I'm a roadie but I totally know where you're coming from, in tears and generally feeling miserable. And as for the "committe" - not always very helpful. They've had me going round in mental loops before now. :mad: ( Any suggestions about how I can shut them up Irulan? )

In January I had one of those rides. The weather was fantastic - very clear and sunny but very cold, frosty,with a biting wind , but I've done a few chilly rides this winter so I just wrapped up and went out.

By about half way round the loop the gremlins set in - nothing had felt right from the minute I 'd left the front door. The headwind along the coast road was a b*****d and because I'd left later in the day than normal there was loads of traffic down my normally quiet route, with a couple of cars tooting horns and gererally being rude.

Finally I just pulled in at a layby, fumbled around trying to eat some energy bar and generally felt very sorry for myself. If there had been a magic button to get myself home I would have pressed it about 50 times! After that I just limped home and then gave myself a hard time about it for the next few days.

What I'd totally forgotten was that even though it wasn't the best training I've ever done I'd actually got myself out there - even though it was totally freezing and most 'normal' people would have thought twice even about going down the shops. It had also been such gorgeous weather - the sea was pan flat and glittering, but during the ride and the days that followed I'd totally managed to forget the good stuff and kept beating myself up instead.

I've had similar experiences since but that was the worst because I was just so cold. After the last one I decided they were 'Mental Bonks' - just the same as when you bonk /blow / hit the wall when you don't eat enough, except they affect my head/spirit instead .

Next time I feel out of sorts I think I might try a sugar/glucose hit the minute I start to feel bad, rather that just trying to ride it out like before- just to see what happens - as i've got a feeling it might just help lift my mood.

But on those good days .... ahhhh.... :D

Tablerock, I'm sure you'll be feeling good again soon,don't be too hard on yourself. Just take a nice, easy ride, relax, look at the scenery and remember what it is you like about riding a bike.:) (Cool name by-the-way)

pedalfaster
04-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Like everyone else I've had those days. I tell myself "I'm still ahead of the guy (gal?) sitting on the couch eating twinkies and consuming a six-pack". :D

What's so bad about a good, strenuous (you hafta carry the bike!) hike???

Ride on!

Veronica
04-23-2003, 06:19 PM
Oh I never have bad days. ;)

I put my first scratch in my bike yesterday changing the rear tire. I dropped the chain - DUH! I was so mad. I know it had to happen eventually, but it was just stupid and clumsy.

The weather has been really iffy this week so I haven't been riding to work. A wet grade book would be a bad thing. I want a real spring and soon!

I had a good ride on Saturday. The volunteers for the Devil Mountain Double ride the course the week before, marking it and noting anything that should go into the route sheet. The full course is 205 miles, 20,000 feet of climbing. I knew I wasn't going to do the full thing. I got to mile 91 (9,000! feet of climb.) and decided my back was ready to be done. There were five of us riding on Saturday - only one finished. It took HER about 17 hours. My husband and I shadowed her for the last 25 miles. She finished at about 11 PM. Totally inspiring. A really nice group of people - very supportive and enthusiastic. I don't know that I would ever find doing the whole course fun - I'm not sure about that riding at night thing. But they offer a shorter version, a double metric, that I may try next year.

And I am now less upset about the scratches in Fluffy.
:)

Veronica

missliz
04-23-2003, 10:39 PM
Everybody in every sport has those days- and you'll have more. It's really hard to accept that the magic carpet ride isn't happening and the universe is conspiring against you, but those days are nessesary, 'cause wouldn't the good rides be meaningless with no spastic struggles to point them up?
Those bad days are really valuable though because you do have to struggle, and talk yourself through technique, and when the going is just break down and cry awful is when you become the better rider/ skier/ skater/ whatever. I had a famous coach come to town years ago for a three day camp (nother sport) and it was just the most horrible three days of my life- he worked us till we dropped. I went home and cried myself to sleep, I couldn't do anything right. When he left on Sunday he said the body learns and adapts when it's pushed hardest, that technique and combinations and all sorts of neat tricks get learned that way. So fifteen years later, I still surprise myself and a lot of other people with what comes out of that awful weekend. I'm retired from that sport, not supposed to play 'cause of knee damage but I go by anyway once in a while. The body remembers.
Spastic days are just part of getting to the next level- just don't do anything really risky, My spastic days on Miss Bike (cross country) seem to end in a headplant or require a lot of stitches, don't reccomend it. Go to the park and ride drills, learn some of eNd Overends neat tricks, talk out loud and coach yourself. Also good for getting home, and by the time you ride a MT bike, you don't care what the neighbors think anyway:D do you?
There's an easy explanation, too- you could just be tired. That'll make you ride like a sack of lead. I've been out for my fix before and been a complete mess when I should have gone for a drink instead; Even the super fit need recovery time, and get plain tired. Try not to beat yourself up over it. I bet even eagles have bad flying days. I heard one whining in the woods one day, not at all like the TV sign off image. Poor girl must have had PMS she was squawkin and bawlin so bad. :p

missliz

sempre
04-23-2003, 11:20 PM
I have to agree with everything that's been said here... I've managed to have two bad days this week, the first on Monday off-road, and the second on Tuesday commuting to work. For me it's really important to recognise that I'm having an "off day" and not push myself too hard. On days like that, I've found that trying to prove to myself that I really can ride tends to result in me throwing myself into situations that end up in lapses of confidence and crashes... So I just try to take a deep breath, think "zen" thoughts and have a slow, easy ride instead. Doing this lets me get a feel for the bike again, and hey, at least I'm outside in the fresh air. It is hard, and those days are the worst, but then there are always days that are the exact opposite, days where you get everything absolutely right and end up feeling like you're the best rider in the world!!! :)

goddess1222
04-24-2003, 09:04 AM
i have to chime in on this too. my situation is most unique because of my present occupation. i am on my feet, walking and running around for up to 6 to 8 hours at a time. i get pretty worn out, and right now am only riding twice a week. i get very frustrated because i want to ride more, but my fatigue levels are pretty high from work.

i just keep telling myself that i am doing the best i can, and cannot be expected to "do it all." there are many women out there who would love to get out, but can't. i find myself lucky that i have my health, and a passion for bikes that i can indulge.

Irulan
04-24-2003, 12:17 PM
So why is it that the commiteee shuts up when everything is going good!

I did have a great ride today. We went out in a very light sprinkle, four of us gals to Beacon... to make a long story short there are two tricky technical turns and I just dialed them in, first time ever. My one gal pal is just raving at me... you did it, you did it that is so awesome!! The committee did try to chime in that it was a fluke but I told it to shut up. :D

That's what I do to the committee: I talk back to it. Now it I could just get it to leave me alone for good.

Irulan

Adrien
04-24-2003, 12:22 PM
Oh man, I've had some *horrible* rides! Reading everyone else's stories makes me feel a little better though. I'm not alone!

Recently, I went out on some local trails with my husband and I wasn't feeling 100%, but I went anyway. I almost immediately had a small spill and it shook me up to the point that I'd totally lost my nerve and was walking *everything*. I was so frustrated with myself, but my husband (#1 good sport) was really supportive and just told me to trust my instincts and take it slow. My next ride was fantastic and my nerve returned!

gapgoil
04-24-2003, 03:30 PM
I have had those rides, when I wanted to throw my *precious* bike into the trees and wish that I had atleast driven in!!! So, I push from inside, and set myself to make it out...damn whatever put me in that place!!!
It's all in the mind set for me, if i wish it, I can get out....

Terry
04-24-2003, 04:11 PM
Oh boy...were the goddess's playing with the stars or something last Saturday? I wasn't going to mention my ride, but...

The ride was going well UNTIL the trail markers showed different numbers than the ones on the forest service map...as in, are we lost? So...after assessing that if we didn't turn back and take another trail, we'd be riding around a mountain all day. That was just a little dark cloud. I was leading, but when we turn around, I was in the back. No biggie until these two women on horse back came up behind me and and were paying no attention to the fact that I could not ride out ahead fast enough (over rocks up hill) and their horses were freaking out on me...the women just ignored my shout-outs to back off for 30 seconds, plus, ignored their horses being upset by my presence. On top of that, they were loud and gossiped something fierce to the point I was getting a headache. I felt as if I were in a bad dream where I could not get away and pedal fast enough...the guys were gone...OK, got over all that as soon as I caught up with the guys...But, right after that, I caught a bush in my derailer, fell to the right with the bike on me (you should see the 6" black beauty on my inner AND outter thigh). The derailer was mangled and I lost all but my 3 large gears. Then I bonked from all the nervous energy...plus guys never came back because I can "take care of myself" and "didn't blow the whistle for help". So, I stopped, said a few cuss words, took my shirt off, sat down and ate some food. After that, I just could not get my focus back. I had slipping gears, could only ride straight aways and the last 1.5 miles was all up hill...all my skill were gone and I was dabbing, falling so, I stopped and walked it in. I was too beat up on Sunday to try and ride; lots of bruises that didn't show up until the next day.

Took the bike to the mechanic...$5.00 bucks later, a pat on the back, I was fine. I also found a wire choker full of rinstones that hooks into my helmet beautifully. It reminds me of a circus elepant's head jewels...Missliz, this tiara thing really does cheer up the day.

One more thing...
I don't think the guys understood. Sigh...glad you ladies are here.
Terry

Kpicha
04-24-2003, 04:29 PM
Yikes, Terry! What a nightmare of a ride! I'm so glad i don't have to deal with horses on our trails after hearing about that. Geez, and then the thought of possibly crashing in horse doo-dee isn't all that appealing either :( Good thing you landed in a bush! (I hope that was a good thing)

I'm glad you came out alive and in one piece,
barely! :) I'm sure that bruise is going to look, oh so lovely, in a day or so.

I hope you're not scarred by that incidence and are out riding again soon!

Cheers,
Kristina

Irulan
04-24-2003, 05:52 PM
So Terry, the horses came up behind you and the riders wouldn't give you a chance to get off the trail? That is really messed up. We have mixed use in our area, but people try to be really respectful of each other's "mode". I especially respect the riders who acknowlege that there horses are big and stupid.

Anway, hope your next ride is better. My hubby did that once skiing... I had a really steep falling descent and lost a pole, literally was hanging onto a tree, and he was more worried about the lost pole than he was me... because he knew I could take care of myself. He got really reamed for that by an older gal who was with us at the time. I think all we really want at times like that is a little chekcing up on, even if we don't "require" anything.

crashing through horse poop isn't so bad except for the bikers behind you when it flings off the rear wheel into thier face.
Irulan

MightyMitre
04-25-2003, 01:28 AM
Eek Terry, what a nightmare- horse poop and bruises - that's a rotten combination. Hope the bruises go down quickly.

I agree - it sometimes it's nice just to be checked up on. This is defintily something girls tend to be better at that boys. I think girls are better at imagining how they might feel in the same situation and offer words of encouragement.

Not doing the boys down at all, bless them, but unless they can see a physical problem, that they could maybe offer a practical solution to, I think they find it harder to understand. If you're not in some kind of physical difficulty then why would you're riding be affected.

This totally isn't a dig at the guys , I know a lot of us have very supportive hubby's ect - more of a insight into how they're brains work and why they sometimes act like they do.

Or am I just giving them an excuse to ride off and leave us behind...... ;)

goddess1222
04-25-2003, 10:40 AM
eek Terry, how awful. the horse thing angers me to no end. people can be so inconsiderate to others.

as for the nasty bruise on your leg, won't it be cool when you go to work and people ask you how your weekend was, and instead of the typical "i went shopping, nails done, read cosmo mag" that others do on the weekends, you can tell them you did the REAL girly thing. and have a gorgeous bruise to show for it. the guys in the office will probably be more impressed than the girls. (no i am not trying to stereotype here).

HAIL TO THE TIARA!!! Liz is most definitely right that it fixes a sad head.

Terry
04-25-2003, 12:51 PM
Thanks for all the support, ladies. Let me clear up a couple things. The horses were behind me about 10-12, up to 20 ft. The riders were tailgating and making myself/the horses miserable. The one rider spoke to her horse and said, "Get used to it. You're going to see a lot of them", meaning bike riders; then, she just went back to talking to her friend. I actually flagged them to go ahead and the one said, no, that they were fine behind me. Just blantent!
Now, I will say other horse folks we met up with that day were great and we all thanked one another for "sharing" the trails...

The guys...I'm not mad at them for not coming back in as much as they are just guys who are into their "ride" just like we all are...
but, us girls do check up on one another a lot better. And I agree that their brain-logic does not registrar the same as ours

However, to their credit, one ride this spring, a wind picked me up and moved me a foot to the side of a trail that had a drop of about 2 stories (it was a slope and I would have slided/rolled) They saw what happened and said, "We have to turn back because the wind will carry you off like Dorthy". They insisted on going back even though I thought I was OK to keep riding/not scared...guys.

So, Irulan the hubbie was concerned with the ski pole because, of course, you could take care of yourself...sigh...at least he got some instant feedback from an outside oberver. Guys...
Terry

Irulan
04-25-2003, 01:20 PM
I can see where horses going the same direction as you could be a sticky situation if you aren't going faster than them!!

RE: what I said about DH... that was a long time ago, and we've both grown up a lot. I think he's perfect now. :)

One time I was on a ride in British Columbia that **I** picked that turned out to be way over my head. I was really losing it, sat down in the trail and cried and the worst thing was I couldln't blame it on anyone else because I had picked the ride!

Irulan

tablerock
04-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Thanks you guys! You made me feel so much better about myself and helped me get through the week. I stayed off the mountain bike this week and concentrated on road riding, but tomorrow is Saturday and I am going to try again. Terry I love the rhinestones on the helmet!! My husband gave me a tiara about a year ago when I won an award at work (I am the library Goddess) and now I wear it when I am having a bad day at work, especially when I am chairing an especially difficult meting. It never occurred to me to wear it on the mountain bike!!! I may just have to take a picture and share it with you guys!
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE—NO BAD RIDES!
Tablerock

Veronica
04-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Go for the picture! I really enjoy seeing the different pictures people post.

Veronica

Adrien
04-28-2003, 10:40 AM
*sob* I can honestly say that yesterday took the cake. First, I should say that Kpicha is incredibly nice and understanding. I met her for a ride yesterday, and 20 minutes into our warmup lap I misjudged a log obstacle and endo'ed quite spectacularly. I landed hard on my right arm and really jammed it, so I had to quit and go home.

This morning the rest of my body caught up with my arm and now I feel like I've been hit by a truck! It looks like I'll be off my bike for at least a week. Wah!

But, Kpicha was really sweet about everything (especially considering how far she'd driven to meet me for this ride) and I look forward to meeting her for another ride, in which I promise not to ruin all the fun.

Irulan
04-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Adrien
I misjudged a log obstacle and endo'ed quite spectacularly. I landed hard on my right arm and really jammed it, so I had to quit and go home.

haha, done that a few times. Every one tells me I should learn to fall correctly... evidently those with a martial arts background understand tuck and roll a whole lot better than I do!

I've often thought that getting into the mat room at the HS with some one to teach a few tricks on how to fall and tuck would be a good thing...

Irulan

Kpicha
04-28-2003, 04:24 PM
Hey Adrien,

I sure hope you're feeling better today! That didn't look like fun at all! Although, it was a little bit funny looking when I looked up and saw you almost completely perpendicular to the ground.:eek:
So, I guess next time out, it'll be my turn :(

As far as the duck, tuck and roll thing goes, how in the world are you supposed to roll with a bike still attached to your feet?! Imagine how funny looking that would be!

Anyway, I can't imagine trying to unclip while at the same time, flipping over a log:eek: That whole duck, tuck and roll thing sounds like a good plan, provided that you're not clipped in anymore ;)

Cheers,
Kristina

aka_kim
04-28-2003, 05:01 PM
Reminds me of an article Bicycling Magazine printed a few years ago on how to avoid an endo. You were supposed to:
1) realize it was coming
2) unclip
3) propel yourself over the handlebars like on a gym pommel horse (!!)
4) land on your feet but away from your out of control bike
5) Then, maybe, throw your arms in the air exultantly and wait for the judges score. (OK, I made this part up.)

They even had pictures. It seemed ridiculous to me, but they were serious.

aka "Kim"

Kpicha
04-28-2003, 05:20 PM
LOL! Yeah, I remember seeing that and one final step; as you land on your feet, you quickly spin around to catch your bike. Woo-hoo, Wonder-woman! :D

Adrien
04-28-2003, 06:17 PM
Reminds me of an article Bicycling Magazine printed a few years ago on how to avoid an endo. You were supposed to:
1) realize it was coming
2) unclip
3) propel yourself over the handlebars like on a gym pommel horse (!!)
4) land on your feet but away from your out of control bike
5) Then, maybe, throw your arms in the air exultantly and wait for the judges score. (OK, I made this part up.)

Ha! If only I'd remembered about the snappy dismount! This was my first-ever endo, so I'm not sure I scored very well. What do you think Kpicha, it was at least a 6.5, wouldn't you say? My favorite part was the sensation of my chin gently bouncing off the ground. Hee. I should get extra points for that.

pedalfaster
04-28-2003, 06:37 PM
Your posts made me chuckle....when I endo my first (conscious) thought is always "where's the BIKE???!!!". I now try to put my feet up in the air to "catch" the bike, rather than have it come down <keeerrrrplunk> on my head. Any endo survived without a trip to the ER is a good endo IMHO.

Terry
04-29-2003, 08:06 AM
Oh my god, Adrian, an endo...geez. Glad you're OK. Get out the ice and rest! Oweiiii!

How's the helmet and bike? Did you check your helmet for structural or hairline fractures? My mechanic told me to always check the helmet after a fall and to buy a new one ASAP if any structure problems result from a fall. Anyone else have any input on this information?

As to falling and rolling, my experience has been that serious falls come so fast that you don't even KNOW you've taken the dive until you've all ready landed. As to unclipping, my pedals automatically come unclipped upon hard impact. My understanding is that they are supposed to do this, sort of like the airbag going off. My shoes have unclipped twice during hard falls. I don't worry about staying clipped-in if I hit a surface that cause a hard fall...I know the shoes/pedals work.

Also, if I know I'm going to fall well, MAYBE one foot makes it out but that still doesn't mean I'm not going to come up bruised, ect because I broke the fall. Also, my body tends to wait a day or so before it decides to flair up in pain from a fall. It's always been my understanding that when people have minor car fender-benders that the pain from the car jolting doesn't come on for a few days, so, this makes sense if you look at the fact that riding is exceleration and hitting a soild object that cause a fall cause the body to go into a "shock" mode for a day or so.

I had a pretty good run on Saturday (Trail #100), but we started late. By 10:30, the Phoenix sun was in it's glory, so we didn't finish the entire loop...even the dogs we passed were dragging and beat from the early heat. Luck for us, the sun is now rising at 5:30 and it's already in the high 60's at that time. Time to go north...
BTW, there's a great MB race in the Prescott area this weekend. It is on a fantastic trail called the Great Basin Loops. Loop'py doop, boulders that your pedals won't fit through, and creeks that criss-cross the trail making it one heck of a ride.
Cosmic Ray, "the 1/2 oracle 1/2 sage" of AZ trails to bike/hike, gives it his primo stamp of approval...just watch out for trees that grab your derailers and horse manure. :D
Terry