PDA

View Full Version : Burnaby Blowout

Pink Kona
11-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Got some much needed racing in this weekend up North in Burnaby B.C. They had a double day event with every single track event, with the exception of the 500m TT, Pursuit and Madison. Instead of Category classifications as we know them here in the states, they divide riders into A B and C groups (A's - pros, B intermediate, C novice). I rode with the B's - a packed field of 13 men and 5 women. Knowing I was going to battle a testosterone fest, I approached this weekend as merely several training races.

Having a packed field on Burnaby's smaller track (200m, 47 degree pitch) did wonders for the bike handling and manuevering between racers. I am still a little apprehensive about the Miss n' out races - mainly because of my spill at one during a competition at Alpenrose. Unfortunately I lost the race even before I started it - and thankfully got pulled right away. I'm definitely going to have to work on that mental block.

It was tempting to call it quits after two days of thigh burning action - the night before we had completed an 80 lap points race... I managed to hang on all but the last 8 laps. One of our last races on Sunday was a Win N' Out and I almost didn't do it. Good thing I did - because I managed to get third in the race! I was tickled pink. They are holding another weekend event in January I will definitely attend. It's a good measure to see how your off season race fitness is going as well as keep you dry in our lovely PNW weather.

If you're in the Northwest area and have been contemplating track racing - let me know and I would be happy to introduce you to the sport. It definitely needs more women!

BikeMomma
11-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Whhooohooo Pink! Good job with the win n' out....try try again with the mental block. Don't be apprehensive...just go for it. Hey I know - transfer the apprehension into your competitors. What I mean is - pretend THEY are your fear. That will give you something to zero in on. Get it? It's not in your head, it's in front of you, and your goal is to get around it.

I dunno....sounds weird and maybe a little goofy (or it maybe my exhausting workday talking) but I know without ever meeting you that you're a fierce competitor. Maybe giving you something "material" instead of mental will work for you.

Keep on with the racing! I'm in your fan club already. I love hearing what you're up to, results, etc. :D
-BikeMomma

Pink Kona
11-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks BikeMomma for the tip. Right before the Win N Out I asked one of my friends if I should race and he responded the same way - try, try and try again - even if you fail, you have to try. Track is funny like that - it will test you to see what you're made of. Every time I give it an effort though - especially when I think I'm going to fail - I am happily surprized and excited about the results. Regardless if that means a podium spot or simply finishing further than before in a race - effort is marked by the small successes along the way. Thanks for being such a fan! How's your training going?

BikeMomma
11-20-2005, 10:08 PM
hehe....I usually try try again, just because I'm so freakin' stubborn! :D I absolutely refuse to let fear or apphrension stop me from doing something I KNOW I can do. Once upon a time, I used to. Now, I guess, I have a different outlook on life, maybe from being older...I dunno.

The training is sortof stalled at the moment. I still do the Saturday a.m. rides, and those have been between 43-50 miles over some mild & steep foothills, depending on the route. But, the weekday rides, with the time change and the time of year, are gone, and since I work during the day, I can't ride then, either. My husband's work schedule changed, as well, and he's working both Saturday and Sundays now. I can't ask anyone to watch my kids for me BOTH days, so it's just Saturdays for the moment. There's an awesome ride they do every Sunday too -- hill training, bigtime, up in the real hills, not the foot ones! I'm thinking of switching my weekend ride to Sundays, but my sitters (either my mom or my best friend) both attend church on Sundays. I'd have to find someone else. Bummer, bigtime!!

I'm taking three classes at the Jr. College this semester (the last three I need for my AA degree), two are phys ed classes, the other one is a Philosopy class, and its HARD and demands alot of my time here at home (umm...supposed to be working on my paper right now, bad me!), so that, combined with work being very busy & working late some nights, makes the trainer hard to get on, too. The two phys ed classes are Volleyball (limited cardio) and "Walking for Cardiovascular Fitness". I have to show up with the class on Mondays, where I've been jogging laps lately instead of walking. Ran a mile the other day, then walked another mile, fast to keep the hr ticking. For the class the rest of the week, the instructor (a swim coach) is letting me log my miles & trainer time instead of walking, so that's been cool. I convinced him to let me use the bike for the cardio bit when I told him I have a hrm on my computer. :D He likes to see how many miles I was logging, and how fast, etc. But, now the miles have gone way down. A good sign, though, is that when I do get on the bike, I still feel good, and can handle a 50-mile, 18+ average speed ride with not much problem. If I can keep that up, I'll be ok. The first race I'm looking at is the end of February.

I might start bringing my bike to work again, like I did last winter, to ride during lunch. I would only get maybe 30 minutes of ride time (out and back), but it's something, and that's better than nothing. I tried to get the Personnel Dept to let me set up my trainer in the lunchroom before, but they were worried about liability. Heck, I'm willing to sign a waiver...just let me train!! We have a new Personnel Mgr now, though, so I'm thinking of making an appointment with her to talk about it again. I seriously will sign a waiver, so I don't have to go out in the elements and traffic to train.

BUT, the good news, and possibly the light at the end of the tunnel, is that my classes only have a few more weeks (uughh, finals!), and then I will have more time. And, my husband is trying to get a different position at his job, one that has WAY better hours...Mon-Fri, weekends & holidays off. He's looking good for that, so he's told.

So, there's hope for stubborn people like me. :D Hope your training is going better. Do you know your spring race schedule yet?

Pink Kona
11-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Wow - sure sounds like you have a lot on your plate! I commend you for doing it all - and still making time for yourself. Good luck with finals and your hubbie getting those better hours. How old are your kids?

Hopefully your boss will see the value in having healthy happy employees and will allow you to workout at work. Maybe you could show them some statistics about how much more productive employees are when they balance work and fitness together.... I used to work at Voicestream before they became T-Mobile and they had a workout room and showers for the employees. When I started getting serious about training for boxing (my previous neurotic sport) they even gave me time off from work to train. You never know what they are willing to put up with unless you ask - which it sounds like you have. I hope that works out for you! And if they don't let you balance your life out... then maybe it's time to start looking for something that will?

Ahhh... training. I spoke with my coach last night and this past month I've been putting on average 6-7 hours in the saddle. Well the cake walk is over as of next week. By the end of December I need to start putting in 15 hours. I knew it was coming.... but if I want to be faster next season the ground work starts now. The flip side - I can eat more!!!

Racing wise - our calendar is kind of funky this year. There's a bunch of good local hard races in the early early spring and then it tapers out. I could travel to do some of the NRC races but am not sure what kind of support I will have. Then track nats are in October this year. So my season either starts out with a big bang, tapers and then ramps back up or I ramp it up slowly from the get go. I should have more of an idea come Feb.

Have a great Thanksgiving! And again, kick some butt on those finals!

BikeMomma
11-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Hey Pink --

Sure hope you can make it to at least one of the NRC races...the McClane is the second race on the calendar 2006 National Racing Calendar (http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=1990) . It would be wonderful to meet you! If you have any idea if you can make it down, let me know a little bit in advance, so I can get a day off from work for a training ride with you (go easy...I'm just a Cat 4 racer...heehee). I'm thinking of doing the RR and maybe the crit. Not sure yet, as I prefer road racing. But the crit would give my family an opportunity to come out to see me race.

I'm also looking at the Snelling RR and Merced Criterium...usually the weekend or two before the McClane and raced on pretty much the same roads. It's smaller, less well-attended, and should be a good warm up for the McClane weekend.

Ugggh. I hear ya on the ground work. On the ride last Saturday, two riders split off to go on their long day in the saddle, one for a seven-hour ride in the hills around Coulterville (old mining town near Mariposa/Yosemite Nat'l Park area), the other for a four-hour ride. I felt strangely guilty for my measely two-hour ride (in the wind!). :rolleyes: But I had to get back home, since my mom was watching the kids (hubby works Sat's now).

I think most of my endurance work will have to be at home, inside, on the trainer. I still need to sit down and develop a training plan -- probably after this semester finishes I can get serious about it, since I'll have a better idea on how much time I'm dealing with.

Take care out there & have fun ~
Kim (BikeMomma)

edit: P.S. About support for the McClane -- I can ask around to see if someone is willing to pit for you for the crit (although I think it's neutral...), and if they don't race us together (I don't think they do for the McClane), and depending on how they stagger the different cat's, I can do the feedzone for you, if you don't have anyone else to do it (hubby?). I can't remember for sure if the 1/2/3's were on the course at the same time as the 4's in last year's race. I can ask. :) That is, of course, if you come.... :)