PDA

View Full Version : strained sartorius? how'd THAT happen?

Biciclista
09-08-2011, 05:31 AM
The sartorius muscle starts at the outside of your thigh and with a graceful s curve ends up on the inside of your knee.
http://rpmedia.ask.com/ts?u=/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/Sartorius.png/250px-Sartorius.png

according to Livestrong foundation, strains and sprains of sartorius muscles are often found in runners and skiers.

So how did I hurt mine? any other cyclists ever do that? It's healing well but it was the strangest thing, i could trace the whole muscle out for the first time in my life because it was so ouchy..

The ride I hurt it on was almost completely flat and i spun gently up the only hill because by then my legs were already sore.

redrhodie
09-08-2011, 04:29 PM
I don't know about that particular muscle, but my guess is (from personal experience) that we're more likely to have weird injuries when life is stressful. I think you're probably more tense right now than you've ever been. I hope it gets better fast! Take it easy, and maybe get a massage. I recently pulled a muscle while I was sleeping (definitely stressed), and massage really helped.

NbyNW
09-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I agree with Red, stress could be a factor.

Do you have a regular MT that you like? If not I can give you a referral, mine works on a lot of cyclists. He has also been talking to me about using breathing to release stress and muscle tension and suggested I check out a group breathing practice. I was thinking I might give it a try, if I can manage it in my schedule.

Catrin
09-08-2011, 05:17 PM
I had problems with my sartorious last year when I had all my overuse injuries. I've also noted that it tends to still bother me when I am using SPD pedals...which presents a problem for spinning class :(

Biciclista
09-08-2011, 07:12 PM
red and NbyNW, yes, you're right. VERY stressful times.

What is an MT?

thank you Catrin, glad I am not the only one. My leg is almost better, I just had to quit riding a few days.

NbyNW
09-08-2011, 08:58 PM
sorry. Massage Therapist.

Kalidurga
09-09-2011, 07:21 AM
I have issues with my sartorius, but mine are cramps rather than sprains. Considering how that muscle is used to lift and turn the leg, I would think that misalignment during pedaling could definitely affect it.

Aggie_Ama
09-15-2011, 04:07 PM
I believe that is the same muscle I developed an injury in back in 2005. It was an overuse injury from running/cycling.

Biciclista
09-15-2011, 05:57 PM
thanks guys. In the space of a week, it healed completely. The only bad part is i have no idea how I did it. .. except for stress.

NbyNW
09-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Glad you're feeling better! I think once you've eliminated any potential mechanical cause, it's very likely stress.

I think you'll find ways to cope and work through it ... some kind of "new normal." Perhaps it's an early reminder to take care of yourself even as you are trying to focus on taking care of Don.

We're here to listen, and whatever else you need, just let us know.