PDA

View Full Version : Cycling the Blue Ridge Parkway

profŕvélo
11-14-2005, 08:13 AM
The DH and I are planning to cycle the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway next summer with two other couples. He's already bought a book and has looked around on line for advice, but I was wondering if any of you TE-ers had any real-life experience with this and some wisdom you could pass along....

We're planning to go the credit-card route, staying at motels or inns and with relatives (we're lucky enough to have two of those along the Parkway), rather than camping. We'll take a train up to the DC area and work our way south.

DeniseGoldberg
11-16-2005, 06:00 AM
I haven't toured there myself, but there are a few journals over on crazyguyonabike.com that might be helpful. Maybe you've already found these, but just in case - here are some links.

Blue Ridge Trip (http://richtour1999.crazyguyonabike.com), by Rich Haubert

Blue Ridge Parkway (http://hillsaregood.crazyguyonabike.com), by Victor Weinreber

Blue Ridge Parkway, 2001 (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/?doc_id=823), by Bob Omerod

--- Denise

profŕvélo
11-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks, Denise, I'll check those out.

Blueberry
11-16-2005, 07:04 PM
I haven't ridden the entire trip myself either, but I have driven portions and ridden other portions. 2 big things: I seem to recall reading somewhere that one of the most popular books significantly underestimates elevation gain at some key points. Something to keep in mind - if my brain manages to recall where I read that, I'll post it. Secondly, be aware (if you aren't already) that the parkway is non-commercial. This means that you'll often have to go off the route by several miles to find shelter which may mean climbing up a rather large hill to get back on the parkway.

Otherwise, enjoy! It's some beautiful riding. And it's nice to not have all of the commercial traffic.

Carrie Anne

profŕvélo
11-17-2005, 08:26 AM
We, too, have driven some portions and cycled some portions--we've done the Assault on Mt. Mitchell and so are very aware of the elevation gains! The access points to the Parkway do tend to be a bit steep, don't they? My DH is going to do some detailed planning so that we won't get stuck with big surprises. Thanks for the tips.

runnergirl
11-27-2005, 11:38 AM
I too have only done chunks of it. The bottom end of Skyline drive is 2.5-3 hours away, so club members get together to go climb there every couple months (when it's warm enough!).

Don't miss Roanoke-it's about a 30 minute ride off the parkway, it's an oasis of culture in the middle of backwoods VA. The downtown has great shops and restaurants, very neat "feel" to the town, and even though the roads are busy, the cars seemed more considerate than what I'm used to.

trigurl
02-01-2006, 10:26 AM
I live in ROANOKE!!! and ride the parkway here a LOT. It is very hilly here and I believe Shenandoah is even MORE hilly. When you see the sign to Roanoke/Vinton/Stewartsville, give a wave or you can call me! I actually live in Stewartsville, just a few miles from the parkway.

There is quite a bit of traffic on the parkway but most are friendly, in the summer we do get several RV's traveling the parkway - which I think is illegal but they go the speed limit for the most part. Watch for deer and hiss at the groundhogs:D scares them, I don't like groundhogs so I always make noises when I see them to scare them off. We have horses and groundhog holes can break legs.

Have fun and if you want to call and meet up pm me

I just noticed you were from Greenville, I grew up in Greer!!

bouncybouncy
02-02-2006, 08:31 AM
profŕvélo...i am in asheville:) when does this grand holiday start??? i live a stones throw from the parkway...maybe my hubby (by then:p ) and i can join your peloton for a day?

profŕvélo
02-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Bouncy and Trigurl, I'll let you know if we ever get our trip planned out. I have to get quite a lot of work done on my dissertation before the trip in order to be able to go at all. The original idea was to go in June. I'll keep you posted...Send some *work* vibes if you can spare any.