PDA

View Full Version : So... I might be getting a job with a boss who is a triathlete!

KSH
11-13-2005, 05:43 PM
So... I am in the interview... to find out that one of my "hopefully soon to be" coworkers is a triathlete... and so is my "soon to be" boss! How cool is that?

Daryl... my possible coworker... competed in an Ironman even... and my possible boss... almost went to the Ironman in Florida this year (but had to drop it due to work hours!).

If I join the team... they are doing a TEAM TRIATHLON in Galveston, Tx next year! I told Daryl, "Well, I did swim 1.2 miles in 39 minutes... open water... HA!"... as a selling point to hire me! Unfortunately, another girl on the team is an Olympic swimmer. DAMN!

Oh well, I think it is so cool that I might be working with some triathletes real soon!

Lise
11-13-2005, 05:48 PM
That is so cool! Heaven help me if I ever have to mention my times in a job interview. I'd be a goner! I do believe, however, that midwifery (my profession) is, itself, an endurance sport. If I can work 39 hours with only a couple of 20 min naps, and deliver 7 babies in 19 hours, heck, what's a triathlon? Or a marathon, for that matter? ;) The training and competing (well, I think I'm competing...not sure the other racers do!) keep me sharper and in better shape to do my job.

Soooo...what kind of work do you do, that it's so triathlete friendly?

KSH
11-13-2005, 05:54 PM
That is so cool! Heaven help me if I ever have to mention my times in a job interview. I'd be a goner! I do believe, however, that midwifery (my profession) is, itself, an endurance sport. If I can work 39 hours with only a couple of 20 min naps, and deliver 7 babies in 19 hours, heck, what's a triathlon? Or a marathon, for that matter? ;) The training and competing (well, I think I'm competing...not sure the other racers do!) keep me sharper and in better shape to do my job.

Soooo...what kind of work do you do, that it's so triathlete friendly?

Yea... your job sounds VERY demading... but oh so rewarding!

I will be working with a sofware company... my job will be to write curriculum and train internal and external customers on the software.

Not really the "field" for triathletes... which makes it even more amazing that 2 of the people I work with are ones!

We will see if my "times" amazed them enough to offer me the job... HA! HA!

Lise
11-13-2005, 06:00 PM
We will see if my "times" amazed them enough to offer me the job... HA! HA!
I'm sure there's a more correct word than "times"--splits? Or is that just for running races? Jeez, you'd think I didn't subscribe to Triathlete! :rolleyes:

Anyway--softwear folks are an interesting and varied bunch. Sounds like you just happened into a little nest of triathletes! Good luck with the job.

Lise

Running Mommy
11-13-2005, 07:34 PM
No your right Lise- It's "splits" as in "my run split suffered because I hammered on the bike leg"... So I guess it's "legs" and "splits"... :o
But at least if you "tri" as well, they will know exactly what you say when you say "I have to get out of here on time cause I"m doing a long brick tonight"..
The first time I said that to a coworker she thought I mean't drugs!!! :eek:
Good luck w/ the job, hope you get it!
denise

RoadRaven
11-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Its very cool KSH to have fellow atheletes in your work environment

My boss is a triathelete too, and so is one of my co-workers. Together they both encouraged me into the cycling leg of a corporate triathalon at the start of this year. They know I only cycle, but they are both interested and genuinely listen to my small successes... and I love to get them talking about what they have done...

Its great!

KSH
11-14-2005, 05:19 PM
But at least if you "tri" as well, they will know exactly what you say when you say "I have to get out of here on time cause I"m doing a long brick tonight"..
The first time I said that to a coworker she thought I mean't drugs!!! :eek:
Good luck w/ the job, hope you get it!
denise

Yea... well... seeing how one of them dropped out of doing an Ironman due to long work hours... that might not happen! :eek:

But... on the up side... they won't think that I do drugs! :p