PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Rapid Fire Shifter

itself
08-27-2011, 04:44 PM
I am looking to go to the newest Shimano mtn bike rapid fire shifters. I really like the fact that they have a two way release. This allows the rider to choose between either using the thumb or the index finger.

Shimano's website is a bit confusing. I see the Saint SL shifters, and then the XT and XTR. Is the Saint an entry level? Is XTR still their top of the line?

Thanks!

jessmarimba
08-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Pretty sure the XTR is still the best. Per fatcyclist's latest reviews, the newest makeover of it is pretty amazing.

I'm on my first bike with SRAM and seem to forget every time I get on the bike how the shifters work :)

Aggie_Ama
08-27-2011, 05:21 PM
SRAM convert, mainly because my Gary Fisher had them and now my Specialized has them stock. I do like them better but I had 2006 era Deore on my old bike, so it is really not a good comparison.

XTR is still their top of the line group. According to their website Saint is a downhill/all mountain line. I don't know how that would change the performance.

itself
08-27-2011, 05:33 PM
I have SRAM on my bike right now (grip shifters), and I am just not impressed. The cassette is loud, and the shifters are clacky and "feel" cheap.

Anyone know the best place to get a good deal on the XTR shifters?

Thanks!

TsPoet
08-27-2011, 05:42 PM
I have SRAM on my bike right now (grip shifters), and I am just not impressed. The cassette is loud, and the shifters are clacky and "feel" cheap.

Thanks!

What bike you planning on putting these on? I have them (the old style) on my Bacchetta Giro, and they work great . But, I've been told by several people, including the B boys that they won't work on superman bars due to reach and angles.
But, I guess I lucked out - honestly they work great. But, but, you might double check before laying out the cash.

itself
08-27-2011, 05:51 PM
What bike you planning on putting these on? I have them (the old style) on my Bacchetta Giro, and they work great . But, I've been told by several people, including the B boys that they won't work on superman bars due to reach and angles.
But, I guess I lucked out - honestly they work great. But, but, you might double check before laying out the cash.

The ICE B1. I love the bar end shifters on my Bacchetta Ti Aero 24. I can't imagine using a twist/rapid fire on it due to the angle. I think it would be super awkward.

laura*
08-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Shimano's website is a bit confusing. I see the Saint SL shifters, and then the XT and XTR. Is the Saint an entry level? Is XTR still their top of the line?

Top to bottom of the MTB groups:

XTR, Deore XT, SLX (renamed from Deore LX), Deore, Alivio, Acera, Altus, and Tourney.

Trekking/touring groups:

Deore XT (same as MTB), and the new Deore LX.

Downhill groups:

Saint, and Hone. Saint is somewhere around Deore XT level. Hone (it's been discontinued) was somewhere around Deore LX / Deore.

Catrin
08-28-2011, 04:49 AM

Thanks!

Which SRAM shifters do you have? I've X0 on my Gunnar and they are awesome! Until this year X0 was the top of the SRAM mtb line. If they made X0 grips for 10-speed they would be on my mountain bike in a hot second. I certainly prefer the grips over triggers due to some hand issues. I've been told to avoid SRAM below X7.

itself
08-28-2011, 05:38 AM
This is the first bike I have had twist shifters on. I have the X9s, and just find them very clacky when shifting into higher gears. Now remember, I am just to bar end shifters which are super quiet.

The new style triggers are pretty cool with that two way release feature. They also have the SRAM double tap shifters that sound pretty neat.

jessmarimba
08-28-2011, 06:33 AM
I have SRAM x9 trigger shifters. No complaints here. Though to be honest - even combined with an x0 rear derailleur, I think the shifting is less smooth than the Shimano XT setup on my Fargo (I think the Fargo has Dura-Ace shifters. The specs don't spell it out, but it was some weird situation of "only quality road-bar shifters available for 9spd at the time"). Could be a lot of factors there though...the bikes have about the same mileage, but the Fargo hasn't seen as much dirt and rocks :)

itself
08-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Are more mtn bikes coming set up with SRAM? Geez, I have been a huge Shimano fan for years. I just think there componenets are plain better. I know, SRAM is an American company, and I do hear their RED line is pretty nice for road bikes.

jessmarimba
08-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Dunno! Mine was built up by a shop owner for himself with a hodgepodge of whatever he had around. (SLX cranks, XT front derailleur, x9 shifters, x0 rear derailleur).

Aggie_Ama
08-28-2011, 08:00 AM
SRAM is cheaper which is why I think they are coming stock on more bikes. Makes it nice if you are a serious mountain biker because it is not if but when you will need to replace parts. That is especially true is rocky, dusty Texas. My bike shop also said they have a way easier time resolving any warranty issues with SRAM. I personally like the thumb shifting only, it seems to be more intuitive to me. I am running X7/X9 combo on my Epic and have no problems. Now if I had a choice of Avid Elixirs or something else I probably would go with something else. I think there are better brake manufacturers out there.

itself
08-28-2011, 09:23 AM
I would rather spend the money upfront, so that in thinking about replacing it, it is a matter of "if" not "when." I have always purchased bikes (except for this one because I wanted to give the X9s a try), with higher end components, because I do honestly think they do perform better. In the case of Dura Ace, I do think it is more flash with the cash. I've always been a huge fan of Ultegra.

Mama Coosa
08-29-2011, 05:16 AM
I'll take Shimano over Sram any day. The two-way release is just one of the many reasons. I love having the option of using my index finger or my thumb depending on what position my hand is in at the moment.

I think Sram shifters feel crappy. Sram drivetrains are also a lot more finicky. I work on a lot of bikes and the Sram bikes always seem to need a lot more TLC.

And Sram brakes can go right to hell.

To each her own, though.

itself
08-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks Momma Coosa! I suspected that the Shimano Rapid Fires are worth the extra $$$. Which model do you have?