PDA

View Full Version : First Ride on New Bike!

annette
04-21-2003, 04:43 AM
Hi There,

I recently bought a Specialized road bike and went on my first ride yesterday. It was 30 miles and it was awesome! That matches the longest ride I'd ever done on my mountain bike so I am very pleased.

One problem I had is that my hands got extremely numb after the ride and my fingernails actually turned blue. Is this because of the pressure on my hands or because I was a dummy and didn't stretch or cool down properly? It kinda scared me because I was also a little lightheaded.

Anyway, I love the bike, just gotta figure out how to eliminate that hands problem.

Thanks!

Kpicha
04-21-2003, 05:16 AM
Congratulations on the new ride! Sounds like you had a good time except for the hands.

It sounds like you have too much weight on your hands. There are a lot of variables in correcting that kind of thing.

When you bought the bike, did you get it fitted? Which bike shop did you get it from? I'm thinking that in our area Spokes, Etc. in Vienna is the only Specialized dealer that really knows how to do a good fitting. They're especially good with road bikes. The Bike Lane in Burke is also good but they're not a Specialized dealer.

As far as the hand thing goes, it could be that the stem is too short, or the saddle nose could be tipped up just a bit to keep your weight from shifting forward. I'm sure there are other things that you could try that I don't know off the top of my head right now but the first thing would be to get a good fit.

SOrry, I can't write more now, I have 10 month old grabbing at me

Cheers,
Kristina

annette
04-24-2003, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the advice, Kristina. I bought the bike at Spokes in Vienna and they didn't fit me when I picked it up, so I am going to take it back on Saturday and make them do that. I am hoping that will help, plus I realized I was probably nervous with the first ride on a new bike so may have held on tighter than normal.

Annette

Irulan
04-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by annette
I bought the bike at Spokes in Vienna and they didn't fit me when I picked it up, so I am going to take it back on Saturday and make them do that.

excuse me while I rant but WTF is up with a bike shop that sends a new bike out the door without fitting it? Did they offer? You have to "make" them do it? That's a service that should automatically come with a bike without having to ask for it. If nothing else it gives them the chance to sell addtional stuff to you in terms of stems or whatever. What brand a dealer sells is not related at all to their ability to offer and do a good fitting

all things excused if you were in such a hurry to try it out that you didn't let them fit it...:)

/rant

Irulan

Kpicha
04-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Annette,

Well, it figures, the one shop I recommend is the one that blows it! :) Have you tried A-1 Cycles in Herndon. They're right off of Centreville Rd. before you get to the Toll Rd. If you do decide to get fitted there, just call ahead and make sure their "fitting guy" is in. Don't go to anyone else though. I knew more about fitting than the regulars there. :(

Yeah, I just had a frame built up and the bike shop I went to just handed me the old frame and new bike and said, "that'll be $75". Gee, thanks!

No fitting or anything. At the very least, I was expecting to hear, "Enjoy your new ride"! And to top it off, I had to go back b/c the rear tire (tubeless) isn't seated properly so it goes flat every other day and when I brought it in, the guy pumped it up and told me "Oh it just needed air and that its part of the nature of tubeless tires" :rolleyes: Yeah, right!

Anyway, I hope you get everything squared away and loosen up on the bars :) for your next ride!

Cheers,
Kristina

aubergine2
04-26-2003, 05:09 PM
Definitely go back to the LBS, or another one, that can fit you on your new bike properly! Also, it is not uncommon for MTB-ers to have hand problems when they switch to road. Check that seat position to make sure you are not tilted down and sliding forward in a way that puts pressure on your hands. Loosen the death grip on the bars. And, most importantly, change your had positions frequently! Try alternating between draping your hand over the brake hoods (thumb on one side, fingers on the other) and gripping the flat part of the bars closer in towards the stem. Remove one hand from the bars at a time and shake out, flex fingers a few times, etc and do this frequently. Good luck and happy riding :)