PDA

View Full Version : bike fit?! Who knew!

Antaresia
08-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Basically, I've been window shopping for a new bike ever since I started commuting. My current bike was not meant for such a chore.

I've been looking online, at all the different steel commuters, and I've test driven lots of bikes and different LBS (and there are LOTS in Vancouver). Nothing felt right, I always thought it was because I was just so used to my beater - which is a wsd.

I did talk to one guy who was interested in fit, but he wanted to make a custom frame that was way out of my price range. I kept looking, still nothing fit. I even test road bikes where the shop guy would say "try it!" and didn't even adjust the seat post for me. Ugh.

Today, I went to a shop where the guy wanted to get me on, uh, I guess a "bike dummy" before even talking about what bike model would be good for me. He took my measurements, adjusted the bike, and omg put drop bars on it that FIT ME. I always thought I just sucked at drop bars! No! The dummy bike fit like a freaking glove! I have never been so happy ;_;

so we talked about frames and I bought a soma double cross, in black. If I'm lucky I can get sage green fenders & matching bar tape.

I'm putting this in "new riders" because I'm basically still bike-high, and this is kind of an obvious thing I'm blabbering on about that everyone probably knows about anyway. IT FIT, omfg it fit. Not some out-of-the-box speced bike that's probably for a dude anyway bike; a bike for me and I had no idea it could be this good.

If the world is really perfect it will fit good enough to stop my ulnar nerve from going wacky, and I can stop wearing padded gloves for my commute. I'm starting to get tan lines where my gloves are! It looks so stupid!

NEW BIKE! THAT FITS!

redrhodie
08-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Hey, we're Soma DC sisters! Mine is midnight silver. I love this bike.

Sky King
08-27-2011, 03:32 PM
What an awesome story!!! Be sure to send them a thank you note and to post on their website if they have one. Attention to detail and somebody who took the time to make it all about you!! That is a great bike too

Antaresia
08-27-2011, 03:47 PM
http://www.mightyriders.ca

I didn't even realize they charged for fittings, he must have tacked it on the to the price of the bike. Oh well, I don't even care because it was still cheaper than the 4 other places I asked about a soma build. It'll be mostly tiagra too.

He had the frame in stock, the only thing keeping it from being ready in a week is the fenders that have to be ordered. Reeeeealy hoping for sage green, but there was only one set left in stock, so we'll see.

Velocivixen
08-27-2011, 04:36 PM
I have read about those special "dummy" bikes where everything is adjustable almost like a slide rule in all relevant planes, then once you're in a good and correct position they can take the measurements and recommend the best bike, by fit, for your particulars.
Can't wait to see the bike.

Antaresia
08-27-2011, 05:14 PM
he even helped me with my bike form. Apparently, I have a really good core that supports everything like how it's supposed too. Bad shoulder position though, and he gave me tips on not screwing up my knee (which I'm currently in the middle of doing).

This was the bike dummy:
http://www.thebikebutler.com/bike_fitting/rider.html

AFS brand, anyway, if a different model. The font was weird and I read is as "***" when I first looked at it.

Crankin
08-27-2011, 05:36 PM
I just had a Guru fitting, as I am buying a Guru. Very complicated and I was a complete ball of sweat when it was over.

nscrbug
08-27-2011, 06:06 PM
I just had a Guru fitting, as I am buying a Guru. Very complicated and I was a complete ball of sweat when it was over.

Just curious...can a Guru fit be done if buying a non-Guru bike? There is an LBS that I know of around here that does the Guru fittings.