PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else watch Kona?

Lise
11-12-2005, 05:59 PM
I watched the Ironman World Championship triathlon at Kona...well, the highlights (!) today. Cried through a lot of it. The woman with one leg, the 34 year old with ALS, the 80 year old who all finished...amazing. I was babysitting my 2 1/2 year old niece. I had to explain to her why I was crying, that sometimes we cry when we're happy. Thereafter, she provided running commentary, "They on the bike! They clapping! you crying! now you laughing! Now they running! They clapping! You crying!" I hope some day she does a triathlon, and I can tell her about watching Kona together when she was 2.

Best wishes,

Lise

Running Mommy
11-12-2005, 07:01 PM
I dvr'd it and just got to watch it. Great coverage again, but I was AGHAST at Norman Stadlers conduct! The temper tantrum was OVER THE TOP! And how is it that your a pro and can't change your own freaking tire?! this isn't the tdf, it's a triathlon! Most don't even have neutral bike support. From the look on Normans face he expected them to follow him like his personal team car! And when he threw that beautiful machine in the lava like common trash?! i was appalled! I'm sure Kuota wasn't very happy either!
but thats ok, madame pele worked her magic on him. heh heh heh
but for the good.. Sarah and Jon ( I think that was his name?).. WOW! I was BAWLING at the end! I even had to replay the last 10 minutes so I could see them finish again.
Inspiring for sure! - Well 'cept for "Stormin' Norman" -

Lise
11-12-2005, 07:17 PM
I've got to agree with you on that. It made for impressive TV, though...and certainly highlighted the grace and dignity with which Sarah, "Blazeman", and the 80 yr old guy completed the race. I love triathlon! So, you're going for Arizonza IM next year? Have you done any 1/2IM races? (or as they now call it, IM 70.3, which sounds like a radio station to me!) The half-distance is my goal. I don't think I have the desire in me to go the full IM distance. Then again, I never would have dreamed I'd finish (much less start) a marathon, which I did last month.

It's getting chilly up here in Chicago--enjoy your autumn in AZ!

Lise

Running Mommy
11-12-2005, 08:54 PM
I was going to do the Soma half here, but had some scheduling snafus, so I'm jumping in w/ both feet! Have 4 stand alone marys and tons of sprints, but not even an oly! YIKES! Though I must say, I'm made for endurance, not speed, so as long as I make the swim cut off I should be fine.
Luckily our fall has been FABULOUS! Mid 70's to mid 80's and very few windy days. Though the wind will come in the spring, just in time for the race! UGH!
thanks for the encouragement! I'm going to need it!! I bent over to pump up my bike tire the other day and tweaked my back! Just one of those silly things, but I'm off to my chiro/pt on monday for some elec stim. It's not getting any worse, but not any better either. Luckily I can ride as long as I stay on my hoods, and can run as long as I keep my stride short, but I need to get some long workouts in. The sad thing is I pulled the same ligament last year around this time.... I sneezed.... Go figure!!
Personally I think it's someones way of reminding me that I need to do CORE WORK!!! but do I listen??? Ohhh nooooo..... :rolleyes:
Anyway, take care! And thanks again for the kind words! :)
Denise

crazycanuck
11-13-2005, 12:56 AM
I'm very very excited...We get to volunteer at the Western Australia Ironman in 2 weeks.....!!! We're on the cycle leg and am eager to watch the beautiful bikes go by. I'll keep my eyes out for Hamish Carter & Terrence B from NZ...

They might show about 5 sec's of the ironman on the sports news tonight but i'm not holding my breath...

c

DirtDiva
11-13-2005, 04:00 AM
You won't see them in IM, they're tri boys. Nice to see NZ getting 2nd in the men's and 4th in the women's, but I didn't get to catch it on TV (we've only got Freeview).

Running Mommy
11-13-2005, 12:54 PM
ummm isn't an IM a triathlon?? Last time I looked it involved a swim, a bike and a run portion... Or did you mean ITU or sprint distance?

DirtDiva
11-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I meant ITU/Olympic distance. Carter is the reigning Olympic champion and Bozzone won the world age group champs twice, but has now moved up to the elite men's competition.

Lise
11-13-2005, 04:44 PM
tlkiwi--Thanks for clearing that up about IM/ITU. I just sat here saying, "uh...huh?" It makes sense that they specialize in different distances and venues.

About Kona--the show I watched was an after-the-fact production. You can buy DVDs at (www.ironmandvd.com) It was phenomenal to watch, but without commercials, I'll bet it was only 45 min long. Not sure that's worth $35 of DVD! Maybe I'll suggest to my LBS that they buy a couple of DVDs and rent them out. I would certainly rent one of years past for, say, $4.

CC, that's so cool that you get to volunteer at IM WA! The excitement and comaraderie of races is like nothing I've ever experienced before. The fact that I discovered it at age 42 makes it all the better.

Denise/running mommy, good luck with the back. I know mine can act up with the slightest of wrong positions. Stretching my piriformis regularly seems to help. I am a midwife, and I realized that some of the positions I put my body in while delivering babies was making it worse. I actually saw an occupational therapist, who gave me some good suggestions. I'm excited for you as you get ready for the IM!

Best wishes to all-- Lise

KSH
11-13-2005, 05:44 PM
I was napping when my boyfriend left a message telling me it was on TV!

So, I missed it. DAMN!

Sounds like it was good!