PDA

View Full Version : Being visible isn't enough

newfsmith
11-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Anyone that has seen my bikes rigged for winter night commutes knows that they are hard to not notice. 2 headlights, minimum of 10Ws each, large (4x6 inch) rear lights, a flashing LED helmet light on the front of my helmet and the big, new Cateye taillight on the back of my helmet. Ankle bands, wrist bands, 4 inch square patches of retro-reflective material on chest and sleeves, and a safety triangle on the back. I use the helmet lights to warn drivers approaching from side streets, looking right & left at every intersection.

So tonight, I actually saw a driver put their hand up to keep my light out of their face and proceed into the intersection. I still believe in being visible, but you just have to watch out for the yahoo's anyway.

crazycanuck
11-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Newf...just reading your description gives me watery eyes just thinking about the lights...

I love blinding motorists with my bright light...I can't stand the cateye flashing ones though...ow.!!!

C

Selkie
11-13-2005, 07:01 AM
You go Newf! I have a really bright headlight, which I love. My "nightrider" bike has a flashing big cateye taillight, a couple of those cool little lights Performance sells, and reflective tape on my rims and helmet. I might put my spare taillight on my helmet---saw some guy with one on "flash" mode and you couldn't miss him.

Now if I could only find a good, warm pair of gloves. I have some gore windstopper ones, but they don't cut it when it gets in the 30s.

CorsairMac
11-14-2005, 11:32 AM
It just goes to show yet again - no matter what time of day, what you are doing/wearing, cars just don't think of us as vehicles! *shakes head in sadness*

Mick: I have a pair of Avenir heavy windproof/water resistent gloves that I wear from about 20 down to the low teens. Lower with liners. I also have the PI Lobsters Claws but found they're hard to shift in. I wear them on the days the wind chills are under 5.

https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/11606

I bought them from my LBS but this is very close to the style I have.

Selkie
11-14-2005, 12:40 PM
thanks for the tip on the gloves! I ordered some Louis Garneau lobster style gloves, but I'd prefer regular gloves.

It's supposed to turn downright cold later this week. Last Saturday, I had my first 'below freezing' ride of the season. How did I do it last winter? sheesh. Better question is how do all the ladies in New England ride throughout the winter? Dove chocolates must give them higher body temps :-)

anne_77
11-14-2005, 03:56 PM
I have some pearl izumi insulated women's gloves that are actually too warm to wear in the 30's - as I discovered this weekend (I ended up riding bare-handed with the gloves in my back pockets!). Maybe you should give them a try if your hands get cold.