PDA

View Full Version : Enlighten me!

KristaJ
08-20-2011, 04:53 AM
Hello All, New to the forum.

I recently got a Surly Cross-check to use as my new commuter bike but my husband (uber gungho road cyclist) thought it would work great for some casual Cyclocross training this winter. I've never done cyclocross and never ride Mt.Bike. Kind of been strictly into Road Cycling and commuting.

Got any good tips for a cyclocross newbie? Do's and dont's, suggestions, etc. I'm all ears!

Thanks! -Krista

redrhodie
08-20-2011, 02:50 PM
I wonder if you could find a training ride near you? They have them here weekly in Autumn. At the beginning of the season, they have also offer a free skills clinic. I haven't gone, but we'll see this year. I also just got a cross bike for commuting last winter.

Enduro_Rider
08-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Every cross series I've ever been near has a free weekly clinic where they let you practice on a real course. Check with your local bike clubs.

Practice mounts and dismounts. Then practice some more. Check out youtube for some videos, might be helpful.

I do a lot of cross races on my mountain bike and I find that I have to ride on softish tires (big block 8s) under low pressure.

Caddy
08-23-2011, 06:19 AM
You can also check with the local bike shop where you got the Surly. Oftentimes, they have a lot of information on clinics, races, and group rides.