PDA

View Full Version : Varicose veins down under

Em-a-Lee
08-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi Ladies,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with varicose veins in their lady parts? I have one that developed last night after a short but challenging ride with lots of climbing. I have a saddle I like though I am going to experiment with the positioning some tonight. I've been riding for 4 years now and I've never had this problem. All the research I'm finding deals with this problem as a part of either growing older and uterine prolapse or pregnancy, of which neither condition applies to me. I'm wondering whether I should be worried about this and stay off the bike or if I should ride on. Is it more like that it's caused by the straining climbing hills or due to positioning of my saddle? Will it go away after a certain point? Should it be painful?

Thanks for any insight you might have.

OakLeaf
08-18-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't have experience with it or any real knowledge, but I do have a male cycling buddy that had a varicose vein in his "taint." He said that it went away spontaneously after being there for a long time and it never really bothered him riding. I'm sure you'd have to have a saddle that fit you well though, so as not to put pressure on it.

See, it isn't just us women, cyclists of both sexes are totally non-squeamish talking about body parts with their riding buddies. :cool:

You might could ask your doctor just to be safe.

Em-a-Lee
08-19-2011, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the reply! I had planned to ride last night but a big storm came up and I took that as a sign that the universe wanted me to sit with an ice pack on my hoo ha. So I did. It was a little tender yesterday, not painful but it was like I could tell it was there. Today it's better after the icing. I think if it doesn't go away in a week or so I will call the doc. Still interested in seeing if anyone else has had the same issue.

Biciclista
08-19-2011, 06:13 AM
please go to your doctor!!!!!!!!

Em-a-Lee
08-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Called the doc today but only spoke with the nurse. Her recommendation was to stay off the bike and avoid pressure to the area. But seeing as I am training for a half iron I don't have that option. So I rode tonight, only 20 miles and then ran 3 and there are no changes either good or bad. Cross your legs... I mean fingers that it doesn't get worse! I don't have time to be down.