PDA

View Full Version : Small Person Big Bikes

skygayle
04-20-2003, 07:54 PM
I am so relieved to find other people are having a hard time finding good small bikes to fit women's bodies. I am 4'10" and have a 26 inch inseam. I do not live in a user friendly town so I have been talking to Terry people to possibly get one of their bikes. They are really nice people but I am not sure if I can handle the smaller tires. They are willing to take the bike back if I am not satisfied with it and what is worse I have to find someone to put the bike together. Help, need advise getting frustrated and discouraged. :confused:

DeniseGoldberg
07-01-2003, 03:40 PM
If you're still looking for a bike, I suggest you try Bike Friday. I bought one of their bikes several years ago as a travel bike, and I ended up riding it all of the time. Bike Friday makes bikes with folding frames and 20" wheels, so you'll have to get used to small wheels. The very cool thing about their bikes is that even though they have small wheels they feel like you are riding a big frame bike, they pack into a suitcase for traveling so the airlines don't charge you excess baggage for a normal-sized bicycle, and if you want to tour with them the suitcase turns into a trailer. I liked mine so much I bought a second one (different frame style) set up for touring.

Bike Fridays are custom built so they can easily be sized to match your needs. You can find details at www.bikefriday.com,and don't hesitate to call them - the folks there are super friendly and very helpful. Although the bikes are custom built, they will take them back if you're not happy...

If you're interested, I've done two tours with my Bike Fridays - see http://denise2002xc.crazyguyonabike.com for my journal (and pictures) of my cross country trip, and http://denise2003hawaii.crazyguyonabike.com for a short (10-day) jaunt around the island of Hawaii.

Veronica
07-01-2003, 04:18 PM
I really enjoyed reading your journal about your trip to Hawaii. We were there in February and toured the island on our tandem and plan on returning next February.

We also stayed at Macademia Nut Meadows and Charlene drove us to South Point and then to dinner and came back out to pick us up. Fabulous people and a wonderful place to stay.

Veronica

DeniseGoldberg
07-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Veronica -
It sounds like we're both addicted to biking in Hawaii... I don't have another trip planned yet, but I'm sure I'll be going back. My next bike trek is 2 weeks in Ireland in September!
I just read your Hawaii journal too - it definitely brings back memories. And Macadamia Meadows Farm was awesome. Next time I think I'll stay there 2 nights and use the extra day to ride down to South Point.

Veronica
07-01-2003, 07:46 PM
We're going to rent a jeep next time. There were a lot of places we didn't get to - Place of Refuge and Akaka Falls in particular that I really want to be sure we see next time. I want to do more snorkeling too. Oh and see more of the Park. We didn't go to Hawi, so that's on the list.

I've wondered what it would be like if we lived there. Would you eventually get tired of it?

Nahhh!

Veronica

Ali
07-02-2003, 07:25 AM
You didn't specify in your post what sort of bike you are looking for - road, mountain or general use. Have you checked out Titus? http://www.titusti.com/

They have mountain bikes sized to fit 4'10" and up (xxs). I'm 5'1" with long legs and have a racer x model in xs. I bought mine 2 years ago from Speedgoat.com and I'm very happy with it.

They also make road bikes and have a custom frame program as well.

Hope this helps.
Happy riding!

Kathi
07-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Ali,
How did you decide to buy a Titus? Were you able to demo it first? I'm thinking of a new mtn. bike and your post got me looking at Titus but there are no dealers in this area.

Also, how much does your bike weigh? My current bike is around 24lbs and because I am under 110 I'm looking for the lightest bike I can find. The Juliana Superlight is 26 lbs and it is supposed to be a light bike. So I'm probably going to stay with a hardtail.

I'm retiring next year and plan to do more riding out west. For that reason I was advised to wait until I determine what kind of riding I end up doing.

I'm feeling very confused right now. My current bike has some fit issues, but I'm mostly road riding so I don't feel like the expense of a new mtn bike is worth it. However, when I do ride the mtn bike I have to deal with the discomfort issues.

I could buy a Trek or Cannondale but I don't like the ride of aluminum.

And I definitely want the women specific geometry.

Irulan
07-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Kathi

And I definitely want the women specific geometry.

just curious... Why do you want WSD? Have you tried it? Or do you just like the concept? WSD ( at least of fishers and trek) is designed for a very specific female body type, a certain torso/ inseam ration which, if you happend to fit into that range ( long legged, short torso ) it will fit you great. If you have a balanced torso/inseam ratio or a long back, chances are you may not like the fit. Some of the features that they put on the WSD bikes like narrower handle bars, different length cranks and so on, can be added to any bike.

There are companies out there like Santa Cruz which build women's frames, but the term WSD I think is trek/fisher specific. I'd suggest you try a lot of different bikes for size and not be locked into a certain idea. I ride a 15" Kona which I guess is a men's frame as Kona doesn't do womens' frames.

Aslo, my Kona FS weighs in at 25# which is pretty light for a FS.

Irulan

Kathi
07-22-2003, 04:13 PM
I was mentioning WSD because my Voodoo is a unisex design. I bought it in 95 and thought it was wonderful because it was the smallest bike I had ever ridden. However, I ride non paved rails to trails on this bike (30 - 60 mi) and I was getting numb hands, sore shoulders, etc.

Last month I took it to the bike shop to have it checked for fit and the frame fits but the stem was way too long, 112 mm. So we put a 90 mm stem on it.

Now I don't feel centered on it. I feel all my weight is in the back. I actually feel I'm falling off the back. The bike now puts my lower back in a "C" position. The shop adjusted my saddle, we put it slightly nose down.

So last week we rode rails to trails in Pa. and Maryland. After 30 mi. my lower back starts killing me. I found that if I roll my hips forward and keep my back flat I'm ok. Also, I feel more centered and more powerful. But this doesn't seem right that I have to do this.

My road bike has a steeper seat tube angle and I feel none of this discomfort. I've ridden the bike for 3 yrs. around 2,500 miles a year and never feel this discomfort. Also, I'm much more centered on the frame.

I've solved the problem with the hands and shoulders on the mtn bike but now I've created another problem.

The shorter stem really helps the handling, however, I didn't get to try it on single track, 3 miles from the car last Thurs. something got in my front wheel and I did an endo. I wound up in the emergency room having stone irrigated from my arm. I also have a very sore and swollen elbow which I'm hoping is not fractured.

I really like this bike, its a nice steel frame. It's a Voodoo, which is no longer made. I've upgraded components over the years. I just need to solve this lower back problem. I have no plans to buy a Trek or Cannondale WSD. That's why I was looking at Titus. Their smaller frame geometry is similiar to my road bike frame.

Irulan
07-22-2003, 04:30 PM
OK,you had me confused becasue WSD is the trademarked term that Fisher & Trek use for their women's bike designs, but there are other companies out there that build frames for women, and that build custom frames too.

Luna Cycles
Santa Cruz
Titus
Wylder
Habanero custom
even Cannondale has a "Fe`minine...

Also, consider asking around for a LBS person who really knows what they are doing when it comes to fit. It sort of sounds you are getting the "here let's try this" treatment. If someone really knows their stuff, they should be able to anticipate what's going to go wrong when adjusting the fit. You should not be uncomfortable at all.. no shoulder/arm pain, no back pain, etc. MY butt doesn't even get sore but that's a seperate issue.

it'd be interesting to know if/how road bike geometry from a bike that fits could possibly be translated into a mountain bike frame. Sound to me, with your back issues that your top tube length must be off. I'm going to ask frame builder I know and see what he says.

This is just my 2¢ of course.

Irulan

Kathi
07-22-2003, 05:05 PM
Thanks for your concern. I haven't told them about this, yet.

However, on the Titus website they explain why shorter riders need a different geometry than taller riders. It really doesn't have much to with longer legs and shorter torsos like some companies make you believe, it has to do with a shorter femur and putting the rider up and over the pedals more. Some companies shorten the top tube but don't make other adjustments to make the bike fit properly.

Actually, I seem to have a shorter inseam and longer torso. I'm 5'2 and ride a 44cm road bike.

My LBS is the best in town. Glenn doesn't use a fit kit or other gizmos. He just knows from experience what the rider needs. I panicked when he ordered me a 44, down from a 47. I was sure it was going to be to small. The fit is so perfect that I get compliments from other riders.

I was probably never centered on the mtn bike but with that long stem I was so stretched out I never noticed. Also, I bought this bike in 1995, pre bikes for small riders. It was made smaller for short riders but still based on a 5'8" male.

Ali
07-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Hi Kathi
When I was looking to buy a new bike in late 2000, I originally wanted the Ellsworth sub 22 hardtail. (The bike I was riding was a 16" hardtail that was much too big). I couldn't find the sub 22 anywhere in a 14" frame, but one of the stores I called (Speedgoat) recommended the Racer-X. I looked them up and was impressed by the reviews that I found. I wasn't able to demo the bike - I sent my vital stats to Speedgoat and working with them was able to decide what size frame I needed.

My bike is the XS, I put on narrow grips, narrowed the handlebar width, cranks (170), stem (100) and of course a womens saddle. The last time I weighed the bike which is the aluminium version (I couldn;t afford the Ti version) it came in at 22.5 lbs with disc ready hubs/rim specific rims. I've since moved to PA from TX and have put on disc brakes to deal with the mud out here, so I've probably added another 1lb.

The bike is still very light compared to other bikes and I'm also a bit of a weight weenie as I'm only 105 lbs so I understand you wanting the lightest bike possible.

My bike was a large investment plus birthday and xmas monies, but I only mountain bike so for me it was worth getting something that fitted me and the riding that I do.

Hope this helps.

Alison

elevenpointfive
07-23-2003, 02:20 PM
OMG, Denise, what a tour! And you did it on a Bike Friday--that is SO cool. I've been thinking about getting one for my next bicycle. I don't own a car, and in my current poverty am not likely to, ha! And a folding bike would be SO much fun to have on bus/plane trips. I do have a folding bike now (a donation from a friend) but it's very much a city bike. 3 speeds, chainless drive, weighs a ton and doesn't feel like a full-size no matter how I adjust. Cannot imagine riding it for long at all. Here's a link to one like it:

chainless folding bicycle (http://www.chainless.com/foldingbikes.html)

I'm really short, too, and could use all the help I can get with fit. I despair of ever owning a "real" 700c road bike, you know? They just look so cool. My MTBs are 11.5" frames, hence my username. ;)

Kathi
07-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Ali,

Thanks for the info. My shop recommended the Airborne Corsica. It got a good review from a magazine in England. I'm not sure if it will ride the same for me as a man. That's why I liked the Titus website. It seemed more women friendly.

BTW, I was in your area last week. I rode the OhioPyle trail and the York trail. Then last Thurs. I did an endo on the NCR trail in Maryland. Wound up in emergency room at York hospital. They spent a lot of time picking gravel out of my arm.

lilogs
03-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Try lunacycles.com. They build tiny road bikes for women. They don't use the 24" wheel Terry uses (and it is hard finding tires other than those terry offers, which aren't very good). They will use 650c wheels, or, if you want, 26" ATB rims with super-narrow slicks ( a great idea, I think, as these wheels are even smaller than the 650c's). I bought a 'cross frame from them with 26" wheels, and I find it works really well for my size and the riding I do.