PDA

View Full Version : New bike!

Ered_Lithui
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
After much searching, I just bought a Scott CX Team in XS! http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/product/10048/55783/218128

Fit was a challenge. I'm 5'3" with a short torso, and with most cyclocross bikes, even the smallest size had a top tube that was far too long. This one's pretty good already, but I'm still going to get shallower handlebars to bring the reach in. (I test-rode a Specialized Crux that had the *perfect* position but was otherwise not right for me, so I'm trying to imitate that with some modifications to the Scott.)

It helped that I got a screaming deal. The bike shop had swapped out the rear derailleur and shifters with 105, but I'm fine with that for the price. Tomorrow we go back to the store to sort out stem, handlebars, seatpost, and other details.

I'm almost looking forward to fall. Almost. (It's hard to get over the fact that summer has only just started.)

Now to get the body ready.

Ered_Lithui
08-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Always good to hear about any bike with a short top tube.

Heh. I knew we were on to something when the only serious criticism I could find online was a thread of guys complaining that the bike didn't work on a test ride because the TT was obscenely short. :-P

redrhodie
08-11-2011, 07:04 AM
That looks great! What do you plan on doing with it? Racing? Riding all winter? So much fun to be had!

Ered_Lithui
08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
The plan is to race! After cross season it might become a winter bike. I'm really excited about finally participating after watching for two seasons.

Caddy
08-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Congrats on your new purchase!

I've been a lurking the forums for ages, but felt compelled to finally post because I am 5'2" and also had a heck of a time finding a cyclocross bicycle that would fit me. I never got to try the Scott because no one around had it in stock (plus the standover looks to be too high for me), but I am going to be receiving a custom build on a Specialized Crux - neon yellow - in about one week.

May I ask why the Crux wasn't right for you?

On a side note, one of the staff at a bicycle shops I called actually said to me, "They don't make bikes that small, no offense." when I asked about a 48cm. Then, when I pointed out that they deal with Specialized, who makes bikes in 46cm, he screamed, "WOW, they actually make bikes that small! Again... no offense."

I choose not to do business with them.

Owlie
08-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Nice!

Always good to hear about any bike with a short top tube. Thanks for posting:)

Yeah, really--I've been hunting for a 'cross bike and finding one with a short TT is a pain!

Congratulations!

Caddy
08-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Yeah, really--I've been hunting for a 'cross bike and finding one with a short TT is a pain!

Congratulations!

http://halfdraft.us/post/1501557905/roundup-cyclocross-bikes-for-short-riders
I used that as a starting point.

Owlie
08-18-2011, 12:32 PM
http://halfdraft.us/post/1501557905/roundup-cyclocross-bikes-for-short-riders
I used that as a starting point.

Threadjack:
It's not so much the top tube--for me, it's the combination of top-tube and standover, because I'm a little shy of 5'7", but with a short torso. I need a top tube measurement that is typically for someone a few inches shorter!
/threadjack

tytbody
08-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Please explain how the Top Tube effects a fit. I don't want a bike with the Top Tube. I prefer the walk through as that's what I'm used to and, I have been told I also have a short torso and long legs.. I don't dismount probably effectively and that top tube hits my tulips and that's not good. So I prefer no tube in the middle.

Glad to read your excitement about a new bike. I'm a beginner but I'm here to learn.

Owlie
08-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Please explain how the Top Tube effects a fit. I don't want a bike with the Top Tube. I prefer the walk through as that's what I'm used to and, I have been told I also have a short torso and long legs.. I don't dismount probably effectively and that top tube hits my tulips and that's not good. So I prefer no tube in the middle.

Glad to read your excitement about a new bike. I'm a beginner but I'm here to learn.

It's not the existence of the top-tube that affects the fit. Really, the top tube length (or effective top tube, for bikes with a sloping top tube)--from the center of the seatpost extension to the center of the head tube (or thereabouts, depending on manufacturer)--is an incomplete shorthand way of saying "reach". I say incomplete because there are plenty of other things that affect reach--seat tube angle, stem length, handlebar type, seatpost setback. However, with the exception of the seat tube angle, these can all be changed to one degree or another.

If you're short-torso'ed like me, the effective top tube length (combined with seat tube angle) is often a more limiting factor in the size of bike you take than is the stand-over height. For example, based on leg length alone, I take a 54cm or even a 56cm road bike frame. But because my torso is so short, a 50cm (for a unisex bike), 52-54cm women-specific--all depending on the bike and manufacturer--are often better fits.

Ered_Lithui
08-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Welcome, Caddy! The issues with the Crux weren't related to the frame itself -- it was the components and pricing. The Crux I tried out had SRAM Apex (which felt really clunky) and road-style brakes with very little clearance. Even so, it was priced $400 or $500 above the (discounted) Scott, which had better components. Upgrading or building a Crux from scratch with 105 or Rival would have cost me even more.

I think you'll be really happy with the Crux. I liked the geometry, weight and handling, and it's a good-looking bike! I hope you'll post pictures!

And WHAT is it with shop dudes like the one you spoke with? I'm around the 25th percentile or so for women my age, and right in the middle for American women overall. Hardly a freak of nature. But bike-shopping sure makes me feel like one.