PDA

View Full Version : Another clipless ?

VeganBikeChick
08-04-2011, 05:05 PM
So I went to my LBS today...I've been slacking on the bike, due to hills frustrating me, so thinking if I go clipless I'll have that additional power and will be able to fight back at the hills with at least something ;)

Anyway...was talking to the guy at the LBS about SPDs vs Candies vs Speedplay Frogs. Mentioned I was a newbie, super klutz, and need to be able to quickly unclip in traffic.

He strongly steered me towards Shimanos, rationale being that because you can adjust the tension, the loosest tension on SPDs is more than on the Crank Bros, which are nonadjustable and thus a little tighter in tension.

Obviously, I'll need to try them out for myself before making a final decision, but anyone else strongly Team Crank or Team Shimano?

zoom-zoom
08-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Loosest tension on Shimano SPDs is really nice and loose...and seems to loosen with time. I have new Shimano SPD-SLs (the road pedals) -- those are NOT loose. I had a near oh-$hit moment during my first road pedals ride, yesterday. They seem to be loosening up a bit with use, though. Phew! :p

Eden
08-04-2011, 06:06 PM
I think I'd steer you more toward the frogs - I haven't used them, but I understand from others that they are passive release - they don't take much force to get out, but are still secure when clipped in. I'd really hesitate to encourage anyone to set their release tension very loose on adjustable pedals... *if* you clip out when you do not intend to, the results can be pretty disastrous.....

(my husband had a pair of faulty pedals - he accidentally unclipped both feet when he stood to sprint through an intersection.... it was not pretty to see him go flying... fortunately he was OK)

zoom-zoom
08-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Did you get the cleats with the 6 degrees of float? They are available either way. Definitely prefer the float.

Yup...that's what came with the pedals. I don't notice it too much. I don't think I'd want 0 float, though. But a few degrees are good.

Velocivixen
08-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I don't mean to throw a pedal wrench (haha) into the mix, but what happens if you go clipless and you still suck at hills? I don't particularly like hills, but have noticed that on the hills I keep practicing it's getting much easier. Not trying to dissuade you from clipless, but don't know that they're a "cure" for not doing well on hills. I do understand what people think about with clipless you use your hamstring muscles on the upstroke and this gives you extra power, etc. What gears are you using for hills? Do you have enough low gears to get you up the hills? No pedals in the world will get you up hills if you don't either have the strength/endurance OR the gears to do it. I just don't want you to get your hopes up and have it not become a reality. Of course, who knows, you might go clipless and do great on hills. I'm just throwing it out there as something to consider. I'll be excited to hear how it all works out. I have nothing to add about specific clipless pedals though.

VeganBikeChick
08-04-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't mean to throw a pedal wrench (haha) into the mix, but what happens if you go clipless and you still suck at hills? I don't particularly like hills, but have noticed that on the hills I keep practicing it's getting much easier. Not trying to dissuade you from clipless, but don't know that they're a "cure" for not doing well on hills. I do understand what people think about with clipless you use your hamstring muscles on the upstroke and this gives you extra power, etc. What gears are you using for hills? Do you have enough low gears to get you up the hills? No pedals in the world will get you up hills if you don't either have the strength/endurance OR the gears to do it. I just don't want you to get your hopes up and have it not become a reality. Of course, who knows, you might go clipless and do great on hills. I'm just throwing it out there as something to consider. I'll be excited to hear how it all works out. I have nothing to add about specific clipless pedals though.

Thanks for the input, VV. I do notice that every time I climb certain hills, they become a *smidge* easier. I am already in the lowest gear possible when I start my ascent. I wish it could go into even lower gears ;).

Clipless may not be a cure-all, but anything to encourage me on the hills and on the bike is better than nothing. I will definitey report back once I've "been there and done that" :).

RubyTuesday
08-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I am far from an expert on anything bike, but I ended up buying Shimano SPD's. I wanted the ability to unclip easily and was steered away from Speedplay frogs because I wanted to do endurance riding and was told about hot spots under the feet from the frogs. Supposedly, there is a wider riding base and your foot isn't being hit in the same small spot on the Shimano SPD's. So.....knowing nothing, that is what I have purchased. I have been riding them now for about three weeks and find them very comfortable. The biggest issue I have is they are so comfortable, I forget I am riding on clipless now and then. So, I have to repeat the mantra at every stop sign and signal..."Don't forget to unclip, stupid". I learned to repeat that after my first fall in five minutes on clipless pedals. Haven't done that again yet. Amazing how a scab on your elbow will talk to you.

I have to say that unclipping isn't that hard. My clips are set at factory and I have left them that way. They seem to be getting slighly looser after these three weeks. I have gained quite a bit of power on hills.

Catrin
08-05-2011, 04:14 AM
I think I'd steer you more toward the frogs - I haven't used them, but I understand from others that they are passive release - they don't take much force to get out, but are still secure when clipped in. I'd really hesitate to encourage anyone to set their release tension very loose on adjustable pedals... *if* you clip out when you do not intend to, the results can be pretty disastrous.....

(my husband had a pair of faulty pedals - he accidentally unclipped both feet when he stood to sprint through an intersection.... it was not pretty to see him go flying... fortunately he was OK)

Bingo - I am new to clipless as well (< 1 year using them) and I had a world of trouble with Shimano - and they were installed/adjusted properly. They were also hard on my knees. My Frogs have been great out of the starting box with no problems at all. As Eden noted, there is no tension and are fully passive release - I was afraid that having to move my ankle further to get out of them would be a problem but there hasn't been any problems at all. I've had foot surgery so I do have some ankle flexibility issues but not problems at all with these pedals :)

westtexas
08-05-2011, 04:22 AM
I have to put my vote in for Shimanos. I really like mine and have never had a problem with them. I have never had a single issue with clipping in or out and it's always been quick and easy.

I think I may even put them on my new steel bike since the platform pedals make me feel so weird!

Owlie
08-05-2011, 06:31 AM
I love my SPDs. As you can see, it's a matter of personal preference.

ShubieGA
08-07-2011, 03:23 PM
I started on the Cranks, and switched to SPD-SL's. I am pretty used to them now...no falling. It's funny though, I am a hill slug, but I know it's mostly mental (even though I am in the lowest gear the whole way). I used to be afraid that I would not be able to unclip, and it made the uphills worse. But lately I am gettting more confidence and don't think about unclipping - I think about getting there. ps. I use the cleats with float (yellow trim).

melonyogloo
08-08-2011, 09:39 AM
I used Shimano SPD, SPD-SL, and Speedplay Frogs. I love the Frogs the most when riding in urban settings. There is no metal spring in either the pedal nor the cleat. It used a elastomer on the cleat to engage the pedal. Instead of stepping on the pedal to engage a la SPD, you slide your feet onto the pedal. Frogs provide a lot of float (~20 degree) and because of that, you will need to twist your heels out more to disengage. Since there is no spring, there is no resistance when you clip out. It helps if you have some sort of knee problem.

merbella
08-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I just upgraded from my Trek 7.6 hybrid to my new Madone. LOVE it! But, issues with clips. I was SPD on my old bike and the bike folks convinced me to go to road clips and pedals. They put adjustable LOOKs on. I have tipped twice :( and am now a big paranoid. Tried adjusting but can't find the sweet spot. Now it seems I have too much play between shoe and pedal before the release. Any thoughts????

zoom-zoom
08-08-2011, 10:35 AM
merbella, I have no advice, but I can sympathize. In the past week I went from Shimano 2-bolt mtn SPDs to road SPD-SLs and had a tip, yesterday. Even on the very loosest tension I REALLY struggle to get my feet unclipped (I have no clue how anyone could possibly ride with the tension set high). I've put >2500 on my "new" bike and yesterday was the first fall I've had on it. Now I'm feeling gunshy. I LOVE the road pedals while riding and the hot spots I'd get on the outside of my feet during long rides is no longer an issue with the larger pedal/cleat, but getting in and out is starting to stress me out. If I have to stop fast I'd certainly crash hard.

One thing I read was that some road shoe soles are especially curved and can make a cleat bend a bit, making it not seat well in the pedal and causing it to be especially difficult to release. I'm suspicious that this is the issue I'm running into, especially since I have my cleats attached a few degrees outward/lateral for knee comfort. What can help in this instance is a very small shim around the medial/inside rear bolt (helping to raise the cleat off of the shoe in that spot), which can help flatten-out the cleat and make it seat better. We're going to try that with my cleats. LOOKs are similar, so maybe that would help you, too.

Velocivixen
08-08-2011, 07:49 PM
@VeganBikeChick, did you decide yet? Not trying to be pushy, just curious how it's going. Thanks.

VeganBikeChick
08-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Not yet, I'm on my 6 night work stretch but plan on testing them out this weekend.