PDA

View Full Version : Computer Experts - advice requested

tulip
08-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Strange place to seek computer advice, but I'm nearly clueless when it comes to computers. I think some of you are pros at this stuff.

My laptop battery won't hold a charge, and it's time for a new one (battery, that is, not laptop). Any advice on the type and where to get one?

I have a Dell Latitude D830 that I purchased in 2007. It's been fantastic and I've had no issues up until now. Should I just get a replacement battery from Dell, or are there trade secrets that I should know? Should I take it to a local computer person? I would like to have a little bit of knowledge before I talk to someone about it.

I do not have an IT person at my disposal; if I did, I would ask him or her.

Thanks,
tulip

ny biker
08-01-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm not an expert -- I never use my laptop battery, since my laptop rarely leaves my living room -- but it looks like the battery you need is available at Amazon, and the price is probably good.

Biciclista
08-01-2011, 01:23 PM
try dell's website. or google the name of the computer and look for the accessories.

ultraviolet
08-01-2011, 01:44 PM
I have an off-brand replacement battery for a five (or six?) year old Dell laptop that has worked just fine for me for the past two years. I think I picked it up from either Amazon or NewEgg.

You would be fine with either ordering a replacement from Dell, or going with a replacement from other sources. Usually, you'll pay more to get one from the manufacturer, but some people find a little peace of mind from that. Doing a search on your model name/number should turn up numerous sources for price comparisons.

tulip
08-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone. I had not thought of Amazon. I am not an online shopper, obviously!

I looked at Dell, and that's probably where I'll end up, but I wanted to get some info from folks who know more than I do (and who aren't interested in selling me a battery).

Thanks again.

emily_in_nc
08-02-2011, 06:10 PM
I just ordered a replacement battery for my HP laptop from Amazon for way less than HP wanted. It is brand new, admittedly, but it holds a charge for a loooong time, fits perfectly, and seems fine in every way.

radacrider
08-02-2011, 06:15 PM
There are also different sources online that also sell Dell batteries for less than Dell. There is also eBay, where I have purchased replacements for cheaper than from Dell. The thing to look for is what the mAh rating is. Sometimes the cheaper ones may actually be lower, meaning less power and less duration. I just did a quick search and seems the range is like $30s to $80s.

Owlie
08-02-2011, 06:23 PM
I got batteries from Dell (actually, my old one needs a new battery...), but my last battery was purchased when the computer was still under warranty and I didn't want to do anything to compromise it when the computer has known power problems.

You might well be fine with an off-brand.

tulip
08-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks. I called a friend who called a friend who is a bona fide computer geek. He said that there's nothing wrong with the non-Dell batteries. Since Dell wanted $155 and non-Dell wanted $43 for the same battery, you can guess the rest. It ought to arrive in a few days.