PDA

View Full Version : how are these shorts supposed to fit anyhow???

Barb
04-20-2003, 07:03 AM
I ordered my first pair of shorts. They are a little loose in the waist and not quite as tight on my legs and butt as I thought they would be. Do they stretch out? If so they will be too big. Should I order down one size? The size charts show that I ordered properly but I am not so sure.

KTeach
04-20-2003, 09:37 AM
SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOUR SHORTS ARE TOO BIG. THEY SHOULD FIT COMFORTABLY CLOSE TO THE SKIN, NOT TOO TIGHT AND NOT BAGGY. I'VE NEVER HAD A PAIR THAT STRETCHED OUT, EVEN MY LEAST EXPENSIVE ONES. I FIND BIKE CLOTHES SIZES, LIKE ALL OTHER CLOTHING TO BE INCONSISTENT, IT'S A NUISANCE FOR MAIL & ONLINE ORDERING...YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP TO ORDER CLOTHES FOR YOU-JUST BE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE TO KEEP THEM IF THEY DON'T FIT.
THIS MAY SEEM OBVIOUS BUT ... MAIL ORDER PLACES ARE USUALLY GOOD ABOUT STANDING BEHIND THEIR PORDUCTS. IF YOU CALL THEM AND EXPLAIN THE SHORTS DON'T RUN TRUE TO SIZE THEY SHOULD SEND YOU ANOTHER PAIR WITHOUT SHIPPING CHARGES AND PAY THE RETURN SHIPPING TOO. HAVE THEM SEND YOU A SMALLER PAIR FIRST BEFORE YOU SEND THE OLD ONES BACK SO YOU CAN COMPARE.

zen_grrl
05-29-2003, 07:21 AM
I've found that with lycra shorts you can often order a size lower than you'd usually be. The key thing is that you get quite a snug fit on your legs, when you put them on you should be able to move around without the shorts riding up. Try squatting down or raising your legs to your chest one at a time to test the movement.

Its worth noting that if you haven't bought cycling shorts with "grippers" (slightly sticky stuff around the bottom of the legs) you may find that the shorts move on your legs no matter what the size.

KTeach's advice is good - get a smaller size to compare. It's often worth going to your lbs and trying on different brands and sizes for fit before ordering online or from mail order companies.

aka_kim
05-30-2003, 10:04 AM
Also check out the sizing charts here on TE, at http://www.teamestrogen.com/reference/index.asp

I *wish* I could find shorts that ran big. I think Pearl Izumi has a secret plan to make any woman weighing over 100 pounds feel like one of those "fat bottomed girls" Queen sang about. :)

Kim

Veronica
05-30-2003, 10:30 AM
But you look great on your bike. One of these days I'm going to put up a picture to prove it!:p

Veronica

aka_kim
05-30-2003, 11:01 AM
<blush/>
I really do wonder how some companies determine their sizes, though. I'm generally kinda medium sized, but I just squeeze into medium Pearls, and it's not a boost to my ego to think I need to wear LARGE shorts. Now if I generally wore a large, and had to wear EXTRA-LARGE Pearl Izumi's, I would be quite unhappy.

Terry shorts, otoh, seem to run a tad large, or maybe the fabric is just a little stretchy.

Anyway, the sizing charts are a big help.

And back to how should the shorts fit -- you generally don't need the $100 muscle supporting whatevers for shorter rides. I really used to like the $30 REI shorts just as much as the expensive PI's.

Now on to the really important issue with shorts, the @!&^%# chamois!

Kim

Veronica
05-30-2003, 12:25 PM
The Pearl Izumis have too much chamois running down the inside of the leg for me. I felt like I was wearing a big diaper. REI has a great return policy (thank goodness) because they went back. I like stores that have that policy - if you don't like it - return it no questions asked. You can't always tell how they'll feel on the bike until you've actually tried it. I'll only try something new if the store has that policy now. Biking stuff costs too much to have it sit around unused.

I like Castellis for longer rides. They seem to have the right chamois for my anatomy. I like Sugois short shorts since they help even out my tan lines.

Veronica

missliz
08-15-2003, 12:01 AM
You know, going to the LBS and trying on, then not buying anything really sucks. Personally, I like and need my LBS- REI isn't going to come in at 6 AM early Sunday morning to give me a part so I can fix my fork and make an event two hours away.
If it's your first pair of shorts, you should be buying them locally so you can try on and get help with them. The few extra bucks they cost is worth the education you get. The LBS knows that most of the clothing sold is through the mail, but they still stock the stuff to help out the customers. And not so the deadbeats who don't buy can save five bucks at Supergo. For shame!
I bet you girls wonder why you don't get taken very seriously when you need a good mechanic?

missliz

hibiscus09
08-15-2003, 03:58 AM
I have Pearl Izumis and bought a medium. I wear a 2 to 4 in clothing, but I have a small waist and round hips and thighs. The legs fit snug (not uncomfortably) and the waist is too big. They were my first pair & I like them okay but my bottom looks like a giant basketball. I thought all cycling shorts felt like giant Kotex. :D

Grasshopper
08-15-2003, 03:59 AM
The first pair of shorts I bought came from my bf's recommendation. I won't say the brand because the padding in these things was just ridiculas!!! To put it mildly...it took all the girlie stuff, split it in half, then the padding made it look 3 times as big as it is!! (there are websites specifically for this "condition") I'd never tried on shorts and he told me that you get use to wearing them, and you won't think they look wierd, all that jazz......other than the pad they felt wonderful, so I take them home and show him and he bursts out laughing at me and asks me why in the world I bought them!!