PDA

View Full Version : Kanata Lakes, Ottawa

han-grrl
08-23-2001, 12:10 PM
Enjoy it while its there. A maze of single track. Lots of fun. It is doomed to become housing in the next two years. :mad:

gapgoil
03-20-2002, 03:06 PM
Great to see another female rider that appreciates Kanata Lakes. I discovered it last year with my boy-friend, and can't wait for the spring. Any idea if it is still "rider-friendly" this year?

han-grrl
03-21-2002, 07:09 AM
HI There

actually the kanata lakes riding area is set to be housing in a few months apparently. The national capital mountain bike association (NCMBA, www.ncmba.com) will still work on the trails there for now as well as fortune. We need to unite as a mtb community to show the land owners and the national capital commission that mtb-ers aren't just irresponsible mountain dew ad types. to show them we care about our environment and our trails. You should join us on trail building days, gapgoil...it is a lot of fun and very satisfying to see trails built/repaired. there is a link to a discussion group from the above ncmba web site. see you there!

Han

gapgoil
03-31-2002, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the link to the Ottawa area board. I had many intentions of joining last year, however, work and the cottage stood in my way. I remember one of the "founding ladies" (lisa) had mentioned that she was hoping to do all women beginner and intermediate rides last year. Do you know if they ever happened? Let me know if you hear of any, I'd love to check it out.

Hope you've been out and enjoying the fab. weather this weekend.

later,
r

han-grrl
04-01-2002, 11:28 AM
it's defintley worth joining and going out the trail maintenance days. the only way the landownders will let mtb keep using the trails is if they see us taking care of the trails.

there were a few rides last year, hopefully there will be more rides this year. the problem is the NCMBA doesn't have enough volunteers to take the ball and organize somethings. i will try and do a few things myself including a women's trail maintenance day. come out for the events!

hope to meet you soon

Han

gapgoil
04-15-2002, 07:42 AM
Hey Han,

Just wondering if you had the same thoughts about the NCMBA, it's pretty male dominated. I may be too early in the season to see any info on organized days and stuff, but I'm keeping my eyes open. Unfortunately I am out of commision until likely the end of June, but after that would like to get out with some ladies for a ride.
Have you been out much this year? I tried to put my time in before last week, but like I've posted earlier, mostly urban.

Enjoy your next ride for me, if you would be so kind! :)

rhonda

han-grrl
04-15-2002, 07:48 AM
Hey Rhonda

take care of your injury (i assume it's an injury). did you fall off of them stairs? just teasin.

yes, i am definitely going to get some women oriented events going including, some trail maintenance days and rides. I am going to work with the director of Creative Wheel too. She organizes women's clinics an very much believes in good ole fashioned women bonding.

talk to you soon!

Han

gapgoil
05-05-2002, 05:00 PM
Hey Hann!
Just wondering how things were in the world of biking in Ottawa!! I am still out for a few more weeks, had a breast reduction 3 weeks ago, and unable to ride for atleast a couple more weeks. Are there any women's rides coming up? I read your post about the NCC and riding the trails in the Gats. and am very concerned.. are we not riding there anymore? My BF had the op. to head to Bromont this weekend, and all I want to do is ride!! Please! Tell me about the fun you are having so I can join in. I told my PS (plastic surgeon) about MTB'ing and she almost fell off her chair...no biking until she was 100% sure I wouldn't fall off my bike...Lemme know what you're doing.. and what you have planned, I'm in... in a couple of weeks. Thanks, Rhonda

han-grrl
05-06-2002, 06:00 AM
HI Rhonda

register at www.communityzero.com/oddbc

some friends and i have organized the ladies in ottawa. both road and mtb rides.

get better soon!

Hannah