PDA

View Full Version : 24 Hour Mtn Bike Race

SadieKate
10-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Bubba and I are thinking of racing a 24 hour event. We'd like to do something in CA, NV or OR, maybe even as far as Twin Falls/Boise. We'd prefer to do one of the smaller events. Anyone have ideas?

AG, what are your recommendations?

We'd also be looking for starters maybe with some of the 6-2 hr events. Season just finished on those but we can start looking ahead.

Anyone been to the Temecula race?

Also, how technical are the courses at 24-hour events?

SK

Just got my new ARC HID light and feeling brave.

mtbdarby
10-31-2005, 06:11 AM
SK, so you guys are riding as a duo? That is one of the hardest divisions to race - not much rest time, "racing" mentality between team members (sometimes), and each lap is a sprint. Anyhow, from my limited experience, not all courses are the same. Each one has it's own uniqueness depending on the type of land. For example, Nine Mile here is on a granite area, thus, the technical areas are rocky. The Underdown, which is 30 miles away, is near a marsh so it has more sandy/clay ground (read soft and wet) and LOTS of tough climbs. In my opinion, the Underdown is a much more difficult course to ride because it is so physically draining. Maybe you can pick a course that suits you guys the best? Either way, have fun with it and I would recommend trying a 6 or 12 hour even first. That way you get into your groove and get the nutrition part worked out, lights, equipment, etc.

Keep us posted!

SadieKate
10-31-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks, Dar. We're already planning a 6-12 hour event first and we already have 4 people recruited. Depending on the event, we may recruit more. I know each course is different. My question about technical nature was more in general: in other words, do they keep the super technical to a minimum because of riding at night? I know a lot of XC courses have gotten less technical over the years.

I found a great little database: www.ride424.com. Best list of these races so far.

Adventure Girl
10-31-2005, 08:20 AM
do they keep the super technical to a minimum because of riding at night? I know a lot of XC courses have gotten less technical over the years.The 24-hours of Adrenalin course in Monterey is not very technical at all. I've been involved for the past 4 years as either a racer, spectator or volunteer. The course has been only slightly different each year. That course is just about 12 miles and there are only a very few sections that would be considered tricky in the dark.

I've raced on 5-man (5-person) coed teams. That's just about perfect for me. Our team averaged 1-hour laps, so you ride an hour and you have 4 hours to recover, rest and get ready for your next lap. I loved that format, and my teams have had GREAT chemistry. I think the key is to get people with the same goals. If you have one racer guy on a really casual team, it just won't work.

It's a unique format. You are doing your individual part to contribute to a team result. But during your lap you are absolutely alone--on your own. You push yourself for yourself, but at the same time for your team. I honestly loved EVERY SECOND of the 24 hours!

SadieKate
10-31-2005, 08:38 AM
AG, is the Monterey race hugely attended? How many people? Bubba and I can be very social but we don't do well in zoos. Monterey would be nice because it is so close. We're thinking of trying a 12-hour in SoCal so we can have a learning experience in daylight hours during the winter.

Adventure Girl
10-31-2005, 08:56 AM
AG, is the Monterey race hugely attended? How many people?Yes. It's a pretty big event because they have the National Solo Championships there running concurrently. They also have some 8-hour classes. I think last year there were close to 250 teams -- meaning 1 to 10 people per "team".

The first 2 or 3 laps are very crowded on the course. The first year I raced, I was the second rider on my team. There was lots of passing (and being passed) when the bulk of the riders were all clumped up. But as the hours went by, things get spread out.

Camping can either be in very tight quarters or somewhat private. My first time we were jammed in a tight area with other teams and tents and trailers all around us. Last year we paid an extra $50 and got a private camp-site. That was really nice!

SadieKate
10-31-2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks, AG. You coming to Mt. Hamilton? Can we pick your brain further? I'm so bummed because I didn't get my L&M light after all. Long story. I was so looking forward to starting some nighttime riding. Could have gone out as a ghost tonight with the light inside my costume.

Adventure Girl
10-31-2005, 09:35 AM
Thanks, AG. You coming to Mt. Hamilton? Can we pick your brain further? I can't make it to the Mt. Hamilton ride. I have neglected my new mountain bike for 3 weeks in a row (non-cycling activities), so I feel the need....the need for...uh...dirt. :p

But you can pick my brain anytime you want. You might also want to check in with han-grrl. She just finished an 8-hour solo event.