PDA

View Full Version : new kid with lots of questions!

Barb
04-17-2003, 07:21 AM
I just started riding this month. I don't even have shorts yet. Of course, now I am a little sore so I'll use the time off my bike to find some good shorts!!! Here are my questions.

I am riding about 10 miles flat or 6 miles hilly about 4 times a week. I haven't yet done anything longer. How fast should I be riding? I average about 10 mph now with no sweat.

I am trying to get ready for a 25 mile ride three weeks from now. Will I embarrass myself if I do it in 2 hours?:confused:

aka_kim
04-17-2003, 11:15 AM
Organized rides usually have volunteers positioned at the finish line to jeer and laugh at late finishing riders. JUST KIDDING!!

No one cares how fast or slow you are except you (and maybe competitive friends). Don't ever worry about embarrassing yourself on a ride.

It sounds like you'll do fine if you're already doing 40 miles a week without difficulty. You could probably do 25 miles right now, so in 3 weeks you should cruise through the ride. You'll find too, if there are other riders and a rest stop or two, that you can do a lot more miles than you think.

But you do need to get those bike shorts first.

Kim

MightyMitre
04-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Hi Barb - and welcome.

Sounds like you 've been doing pretty well so far. You'll probably find when you do the 25 , if you're with loads of other people the miles just disappear. I went out with a friend I haven't seen since for about 8 months and the ride turned into a major gossip and catch up session. Before we knew it we'd clocked up 20 miles without even noticing!

But get some shorts - it'll make all the difference. Short are to cycling as trainers are to running and in my experience you get what you pay for. Also, when you're looking you might notice they often tell you how many panels the short have and the more panels the better.

Shorts also seem to be quite personal so try on as many different pairs as you can find because the difference between brands can sometimes be vast. Our club kit is at the cheaper end of the market and several of us were complaining the shorts weren't very comfortable, but another person said they were the most comfortable short's he'd ever had!

Good Luck with your ride and your shorts search. Let us know how you get on. :)

TXchris
04-17-2003, 07:22 PM
I have found that I ride faster when I am riding with others. My husband is a much stronger rider than I am, so he rides his mountain bike when he rides with me (I have a hybrid). While I may only average 12 mph riding alone, I typically do closer to 14 with him and I don't seem to feel like I work harder to do it. I think it is just easier to watch the clouds go by and cruise along while alone. I haven't had a chance to do an organized ride yet, but I suspect it will be the same. I am supposed to do one in early May. My husband is going to pull the kids in the bike trailer on the mountain bike and I'm just going to ride. I'm just recovering from back surgery, so I have no idea how fast or slow I will be moving by that point, but I intend to try the 25 mile route. I figure as long as the sun is still up when I finish, I'll be just fine:p !

Best of luck from one hill slug to another:D !

P.S. Don't skimp on the shorts! Good shorts may make you so much more comfortable that may be able to speed up by that alone!!!;)

Barb
04-18-2003, 05:28 AM
Thanks for all your replies. I ordered some shorts since I could not seem to find too many women's shorts in the shops in my size! Hopefully as I log a few more miles that will become less of an issue! I also got a camelbak because I discovered that I can't easily get my water bottle out of the basket while I am riding. I should be back on my bike by Monday!

goddess1222
04-18-2003, 11:24 AM
i hear you about the "ride and drink" thing. i am working on my coordination to pull my water bottle from the cage. i thing getting a camelback with definitely make it easier.

kath
04-21-2003, 06:08 AM
Hi Barb - you are going to do just fine with the 25 mile ride. Also, don't worry about your speed, there are all kinds of people on those bike tours and the point is to have a few laughs on the way. So let those "agro" types show off as much as they want, at least you'll get a better view of the scenery.
Have a great time!

LovesFrance
04-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Hey, Barb, your riding schedule is really commendable. Don't worry too much about speed right now---the point is to ride and enjoy it. (I have been riding casually for a coupla summers, but now am training to do a 50-mile ride.) One thing I've tried lately is a version of interval training---I speed up to 16-20 mph (whatever I can handle) for as long as I can do it, then knock back to my usual 13-15. I don't have any idea if it's working, but I thought it would gradually help me increase my speed.

ayermail2
04-21-2003, 12:21 PM
I hear you on the water bottles too! The camel back really helps!

On days when the ride is short and I don't want to use the camelbak, a Gatorade bottle (the 24 oz sport bottle) works really well. It comes out of the cage easily, and you twist the top open with your lips instead of having to pull hard with your teeth!

Good luck with your riding! You'll be fine on that 25-miler!

-beanie