PDA

View Full Version : Touring the USA alone? and Sponsors?

aquamoose32
06-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Do you think it is a bad idea to tour the USA alone along the transamerica trail as a 25 year old female? I have a friend who only wants to do a portion with me. I will be camping. I feel pretty confident, but others have expressed concern. Has anyone done this trail and have any words of advice?

Also

Does anyone have experience finding a sponsor? I was looking for a company to help support me (with a touring bike or food or camping stuff) and I would advertise for them. I contacted Cliff bar. I figured if they gave me bunches of cliff bars I would tell everyone along the way how awesome cliff bar was. You know be a traveling promoter. Apparently that didn't go over so well. They only sponsor pro cyclists. Looking for a way to afford my trip. I traveled NZ by bike on $10 a day, so I think I can make this work in the USA. Any advice would be great. Thanks

shootingstar
06-11-2011, 04:14 PM
If you approach any national or regional firm for sponsorship, one needs to be sophisticated in developing a clear written purpose and plan. It would have to be a small business proposal. These firms get alot of other companies (not individuals) asking for sponsorship also.

You have to have a compelling story/theme why a company should support you with their $$$$ for a bike ride...when many people now are touring solo on their own across Canada or U.S. compared to 20 -30 years ago.

If I were you, forget about the sponsorship route for now and focus on a route/way that will allow you to camp as often as possible.

Or consider working for a few months..a year to gather enough money. Then do the ride.

Sky King
06-13-2011, 09:39 AM
I couldn't resist sending you this link. Margaret is awesome young woman who rode an interesting route from Boise, Idaho to Boston Ma (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=RrzKj&doc_id=6561&v=Df)last year. We helped her get set up on her bike and with her gear.

We may be interested in assisting with some gear, will send you a private message.

Biciclista
06-13-2011, 09:43 AM
I don't think your age or sex is an impediment. You only have to want to do it and then do it. Good luck on getting sponsors!

indysteel
06-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Do you think it is a bad idea to tour the USA alone along the transamerica trail as a 25 year old female? I have a friend who only wants to do a portion with me. I will be camping. I feel pretty confident, but others have expressed concern. Has anyone done this trail and have any words of advice?

Also

Does anyone have experience finding a sponsor? I was looking for a company to help support me (with a touring bike or food or camping stuff) and I would advertise for them. I contacted Cliff bar. I figured if they gave me bunches of cliff bars I would tell everyone along the way how awesome cliff bar was. You know be a traveling promoter. Apparently that didn't go over so well. They only sponsor pro cyclists. Looking for a way to afford my trip. I traveled NZ by bike on $10 a day, so I think I can make this work in the USA. Any advice would be great. Thanks

At the risk of sounding like a smarta**, it probably didn't help your cause with Clif to the extent you may have misspelled their name in your correspondence to them.

Beyond that, I'm with Shootingstar on this. Most larger companies that have a national presence--like Clif--have far more effective marketing tools that having a lone rider hawking their product. And most smaller, more local companies have no need to advertise outside their immediate area, which is they typically chose to sponsor local race teams and the like instead.

If you really cannot afford to ride cross country without some financial assistance, perhaps you could hook up with a not-for-profit that does a x-country trip to raise money and awareness. Typically, there's a fundraising minimum you have to meet, but many of your expenses are otherwise paid for. Plus, you have the security of some support along the way.

Reesha
06-13-2011, 10:42 AM
If you want to do it with a group for a good cause you could do the ALA Big Ride Across America with me next summer :D

7 weeks, 3300 miles. Fully supported. Not sure if it's up your alley, but it makes fundraising a bit more straightforward. It's a $6000 minimum. There's usually 20-40 riders.

indysteel
06-13-2011, 10:54 AM
If you want to do it with a group for a good cause you could do the ALA Big Ride Across America with me next summer :D

7 weeks, 3300 miles. Fully supported. Not sure if it's up your alley, but it makes fundraising a bit more straightforward. It's a $6000 minimum. There's usually 20-40 riders.

That was actually the ride I had in mind. Granted, it's not always easy to raise that kind of money, even for a great charity, but to me, this sounds like a much more legitimate and worthwhile approach.

Reesha
06-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Well, I figure I have a year to do it. I just helped two friends raise 10k for a documentary in one month's time, so I probably have a bit of an unrealistic view.

If I can convince my work's communications department to do an article on my trip in our school's magazine, I'll be all set for donations.

indysteel
06-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Well, I figure I have a year to do it. I just helped two friends raise 10k for a documentary in one month's time, so I probably have a bit of an unrealistic view.

If I can convince my work's communications department to do an article on my trip in our school's magazine, I'll be all set for donations.

Oh, I think it's totally doable--at least for some. It just takes some work. I think it helps when you have the backing of a legitimate and widely recognized not-for-profit that has broad "appeal." I'm on the board for a smaller not-for-profit, and it's a lot more challenging to raise money because it doesn't necessarily tug at everyone's heart strings.