PDA

View Full Version : Southern California centuries in Jan 2006

SadieKate
10-26-2005, 08:16 AM
A couple of folks I know are planning a trip down there with their wives. Apparently, they think San Diego is preferable to Canada in the winter. They emailed me asking if I knew anything. Any one have recommendations or any info?

SK

PS - I pm'd Caligurl and BikerChick, but Caligurl apparently doesn't read PMs :cool: :p and BikerChick has been offline. Maybe this will get some attention.

jobob
10-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Here's a couple of spring centuries in So Cal I know of, but I'm sure there's more.

http://www.tourdepalmsprings.com/index.html

http://www.bikescor.com/solvang/welcome.htm

D'oh, you wanted January, never mind :o

[shuffling through the link collection...]

Ah-hah, found one in January:
http://www.julianactive.com/borrego%20to%20the%20sea.htm

Ooohh, here we go, the Ultimate Ride Guide for So Cal ! Sort of. Seems most of the links are dead :p
http://www.coolbike.com/urg_sandiego.htm

- jo "knew all those saved links might come in handy someday" bob

SadieKate
10-26-2005, 09:13 AM
I've never seen the Salton Sea. Wonder if Amtrak delivers you to Borrego? Road trip? Today is the first rainy day for us and I'm starting to brood about the fog that'll be coming.

Does it seem to you that folks are a little late in posting the early 2006 rides? You know they have dates because of permits, etc., so why no web sites that even say "stay tuned for more info"?????

SadieKate
10-26-2005, 12:51 PM
It's alive! It's alive!! :D Caligurl just reponded to my PM. She says she was riding not shopping. :rolleyes:

Wonder where bikerchick has wondered off to.

caligurl
10-26-2005, 12:57 PM
lol! yes... it's TRUE!!!!! even on saturday... AFTER our ride.... i only went to sam's for food *GASP* and the book store! but no shopping sunday.... or monday.... or yesterday!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

(i saw two movies over the weekend though: elizabethtown on friday evening..... can you say *DROOL* over TWO HOURS of orlando bloom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *SIGH* and dreamer on saturday... i love dakotah fanning... take tissue!)

caligurl
10-26-2005, 01:04 PM
OH! they ARE going to san diego! bikerchick will know where to send them!!!!!

there is also the stagecoach century (http://www.shadowtour.com/cms/index.php) in january...

it's the 14th... starts in ocotillo (west of san diego in the desert) it's a flat out and back course (one stop light or sign)... i've been told the support isn't that great (as in food choices) but that's heresay cuz i've not done it before... they have chili at one stop (the turn around i think!) if it's not raining it should be a decent ride!

borrego to the sea (link above) is a nice ride! i did it last year... the julian active club is VERY nice... they have the YUMMIEST bread at the rest stops! this one doesn't have apple pie at the end *pout* but the sandwiches and cookies last year were very good! you can stay at the resort if you want... another pretty desert ride! you don't actually ride all the way to the salton sea.. you turn around before it.. false advertisement! :eek: :eek: :D

and, of course, i mentioned in my pm and someone else mentioned tour de palm springs.. but that is the 11th of february!

caligurl
10-26-2005, 01:08 PM
western states ride calendar (http://bbcnet.com/RideCalendar/RideListDate.asp)

and

channel islands bike calendar (http://www.cibike.org/page7.html)

i use both of these religiously to plan my events and get to my ride links easily!

caligurl
10-26-2005, 01:12 PM
PS - I pm'd Caligurl and BikerChick, but Caligurl apparently doesn't read PMs :cool: :p and BikerChick has been offline. Maybe this will get some attention.[/QUOTE]

smarta....... oops...can't finish that! :eek: :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

SadieKate
10-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Wunderbar. You going to send this on to Rob? That Salton Sea trip was sounding interesting because of the Sea. Hmmm. :confused:

caligurl
10-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Wunderbar. You going to send this on to Rob? That Salton Sea trip was sounding interesting because of the Sea. Hmmm. :confused:

:confused: the salton sea one is just a nice ride! it was my second organized ride ever! :D it's just pretty! (yes... the desert can be pretty!!!!) you don't actually get to see the sea on the bike.... i was disappointed :(

but the club is really nice and really well organized! it's a metric century... not a full century.... as long as it doesn't rain.. .it's nice! (it was scheduled to rain and had been raining a LOT last year.. so they not only did the ride the originally planned weekend last year... with some flooded low lying areas... they accomodated us chickens and did the same ride the following weekend.. which had GORGEOUS weather!!!!!) (my pics from last year's ride) (http://caligurl.desertsamoyeds.com/bikergurl/pics/borregojan05.html)

i guess you could ride the little bit further to see the sea on your bike! i got to drive by it (along side it) cuz of where we come from... coming from san diego... i think maybe you miss it cuz you would come a different way!

it really IS a nice ride!

bikerchick68
10-27-2005, 08:59 AM
Hey Sadie... this is only the 2nd ever Stagecoach Century this January... I am considering riding it... I have also ridden Borrego to the Sea... a nice out and back ride... longest is a metric tho... but I found it pretty neat because you are ALL the way out in the desert... the landscape is fascinating... some of the views are how I would imagine Mars to be... I swear it's a whole different world! I've attached one pic from there so you can see how different it is out there.. I thought some of the vistas were breathtaking in a very harsh way... pretty neat!

anyway, those are the only 2 organized events but there are LOTS of great rides here either way... I can show them the route (or at least part of it) for the Alpine Challenge... part of that is my training route... my loop is only 40 miles but has 3700ft climbing... :eek: :D all I need to ensure I can ride centuries! LOL

SadieKate
10-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Cool! I love different landscapes.

Did you get my email with Rob's address so you can send him the info? I know he's chomping at the bit for info.

SK

PS - all this talk of the desert in winter is making me really gloomy about our impending winter fog. :(

bikerchick68
10-27-2005, 12:00 PM
yep I got it and just emailed him... I gave him the link for Stagecoach but can't find the details on Borrego to the Sea yet... will contact Rich Wolf, the guy who runs it and find out and forward as well...

if you get sick of being fogged in, come on down to SD... I have a guest room... lots of great road and mtn biking within 8 miles of my house! I happen to live very close to Mission Trails Regional Park which is a big mtn bike draw out here... :)

caligurl
10-27-2005, 12:03 PM
borrego to the sea link (http://www.julianactive.com/borrego%20to%20the%20sea.htm)

it's also in jobob's post above.....

bikerchick68
10-27-2005, 12:11 PM
cali.. cool thanks! I will email that one too... are you riding Borrego or Stagecoach (or both?)... I haven't made up my mind what I'm doing... but Stagecoach may be my Jan Century for the Cent a Month club...

then feb TdPS
march Solvang
april will be solo- no way I'm doing Hemet again :mad:
may Crusin the Conejo...

after that I'll wing it! :D

caligurl
10-27-2005, 12:25 PM
yes.... we plan to do stagecoach... not sure about borrego... probably.. i like rich's club rides...

i'm not getting into that century a month thing... (heck... i've got 12 for the year already.. just not one each month!) might not even stay part of love forum club on bj... i'm a bit sick of 90% of the people on that forum.... they are more interested in talking about sex and politics than they are in riding!

i actually have centuries planned for most months... except december and november... doesn't anyone do rides in those months????????????

what's wrong with hemet? i liked it! i'll be there.. heck.. it's close to home!!!!

oh... and naturally i'm doing TdePS.... another close one! (even though indio has the WORST roads of any century i've done.. including the HORRIBLE Roads at route 66!!!!!!!

others:
mulholland challenge
alpine
breathless agony
heartbreak
ride around the bear
grand tour
cool breeze
smog to surf
amtrak or 3 harbors
grand tour lite

there are others on the calendar... but these are the "we will do" list!

bikerchick68
10-27-2005, 02:06 PM
ugh... I'm not doing any big climbing like Breathless Agony unless I get a triple!

My Hemet experience was not good... my knee blew out that day for one, the route was so poorly marked that we got lost (as did your DH) and I thought the sag's left much to be desired... PLUS, it's on my bday this year... I paid big time for going out last year on my Bday and then riding Hemet the next day... :eek: THAT part is my own fault... :D but a girl deserves a glass or 2 of red wine on a bday!

caligurl
10-27-2005, 02:13 PM
well... "I" didn't get lost! :p :p :p :p

and you.... technically didn't get lost... of course there were no more markings.. cuz you rode right past the finish line! :p :p :p (heh heh... have you bust your chops on that!) (and hubby just doesn't pay attention to route slips.. .or maps.. there is a REASON we have GPS in my car: "take the next right turn... take the next left turn.. stay on this road for the next XXXX miles!)

i think at least 3/4 of my centuries i've done haven't been marked... they all give us route slips!

and... not defending hemet... i mean it wasn't one of my favorite rides... but it's a close century.. but you coulda blown out your knee on any century! even coold breeze or lighthouse! :(

there are a ton of other centuries for you to chose from...plus your bro is always setting up impromptu ones... so i'm sure you'll get lots of riding!

what was wrong with the sags? they had good stuff... and plenty of stops! and i even enjoyed the fattening fare at the lunch after the ride!!!!!!!

i think my least fave sag foods were at my last century: las vegas.... i mean they had plenty.. but nothing really unhealthy that i wanted to have! :( i love when they have rice krispie treats and cookies and chips! *insert evil smilie here*

bikerchick68
10-27-2005, 02:28 PM
LOL... true... by the finish we were BOTH dazed and confused... :o

maybe I'm giving it a bad rap, but I just wasn't thrilled with it... I also thought alot of the route was not well chosen... that downhill was stinkin scary and a lot of it was on roads with no bike lane and 50mph speed limits... which meant people were doing 70... :rolleyes:

yep, skipping it...

I have to admit tho... I have NEVER been so happy to see a chair and BBQ chicken as when we came in that day! :D

caligurl
10-27-2005, 02:34 PM
i remember you mentioning that downhill and 50 mph speedlimit thing before... but i'm lost as to where you are talking about???? or maybe i'm accustomed (unfortunately) to cars going too fast with no bike lanes :( :( :( :( :( i remember construction... and the lake (so pretty!) and that really cool place for that one rest stop (the 2nd one?) with all the bikers (non peddling kind)

(some jerk musta been going 100 mph when he passed me last night! :eek: :eek: :eek: thank god he went into the other lane! *phew* i just shook my head..... some drivers just don't get it!)