PDA

View Full Version : Park Tool School of Repair/Maintenance

anne_77
10-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Has anyone tried one of these courses? I found a store in the area that offers them and I was considering signing up. Any feedback/advice you could give would be appreciated.

Carm
10-24-2005, 07:31 PM
I just got home from my first Park Tool School class tonight. I'm the only person in my class so its awesome. Tonight we went over tools, lubes, tire changing and chains (clean, repair, remove, etc.) I knew a bit about the first 3 topics covered tonight but I learned many new things and got an opportunity to ask questions about some problems I was having. I purchased the Park Blue Book of Repair about 3 months ago. However, I need to see things explained before I understand it. You get to work on your own bike. I think next week is brake and derailler adjustment plus some other good stuff. I don't see how you can go wrong by taking the class.

FYI, I recently purchased an Ultimate Pro Repair Stand from the REI Outlet Website for $154.00 (price included shipping). You won't find a better price on the Pro which is a very good stand. You'll find it much easier to do the repairs with a bike stand.

runnergirl
10-24-2005, 07:38 PM
My LBS has two versions, a short one (2 hours one night), which covers fixing flats, brake adjustments, basic rear derailleur adjustments, etc. The long version is four mondays in a row (2+ hours) that covers full overhauling-hubs, bottom bracket, headsets, wheel truing, etc.

EVERYONE should take the first version, or at least have those basic skills. The second course is also great, but the skills are a "use it or lose it" kind of thing-so if you take the class you'll have to get a project bike to practice on! :D

Do you know the mechanic who's teaching?

nuthatch
10-25-2005, 02:57 AM
My LBS version is six 2 hour classes and I managed to get into three of them(they are all completely full!). So far, they've been great, with lots of topical tips and ample hands-on time for everyone in the class. It's a good way to get familiar with the tech staff or mechanic, so you can ask questions with ease when you need to order a part or something isn't right. I highly recommend them.

anne_77
10-25-2005, 06:54 AM
Wow - thanks for all the feedback. I'll definitely check out the class then. It meets two Saturdays in a row for three hours each time at Adventure something (?) in York, PA. They also have a class for basic on the road maintenance but it's Thursday nights at 5:30 pm and I'm in class till 6:00 pm (plus it'll take at least an hour to get to York) so I can't make that one. I just feel like I should really learn how to take care of my bike.