PDA

View Full Version : Get your calcium...

profŕvélo
10-24-2005, 07:58 AM
Interesting article; my apologies if this has been posted here before.

Take care of your bones (http://www.beezodogsplace.com/Pages/Articles/Osteoporosis-Cycling/Osteoporosis-Cycling.html)

aka_kim
10-24-2005, 08:59 AM
OT but maybe an interesting factoid... the Bob Breedlove in the article is the cyclist who was struck by a car and killed at RAAM this year. :(

helga
10-24-2005, 09:17 AM
I seem to be seeing eye-to-eye with more people than I used to. The problem is, there was a time when I was looking down to see eye-to-eye with some of the people I am now looking straight in the eye. Reason, bone loss. I have shrunk 3/4 of an inch. It is now harder to reach my bottle of calcium pills (with Vitamin D); but believe me, I make the stretch every day, and after having read that article I will increase my doseage on big riding days. Weight lifting is also planned and sodas are out. Any more bone loss, and I'll look like a worm carrying a purse.
Thanks for the timely information!
Helga

Pedal Wench
10-24-2005, 10:03 AM
That is very sad about Bob Breedlove - he seemed so devoted to the sport.

This month's Outside (November, I guess) had a similar article, again citing cycling as the culprit. Time to add some crosstraining. They both mentioned that walking wasn't enough to help, but this online article said that hiking was helpful. I guess I should put some 'hop' into my step to make it count.

newfsmith
10-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Here is an abstract of the article (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=47957) There is lots to be learned yet about osteoporosis. Last summer, Reuters had a summary of a study reported in "Lancet" that not all of the problem of hip
fractures can be predicted strictly by bone density. Certain activities, like rowing & cycling seemed to specifically strengthen the neck of the femur, reducing the incidence of fractures. Unfortunately, Reuters has dropped the link so it will take me a while to get a link to the original article. Remember, science can not keep up to even a slow cyclist going uphill in a wind and ice storm. The way bone remodels, heals, and degenerates is very complicated and won't be fully understood any time soon. Get your calcium, get your exercise and don't be afraid of your bike.

yellow
10-25-2005, 01:50 PM
While I'm not a big fan of chocolate, my doc recommended having a cup of hot soy cocoa (using the calcium enriched stuff) as I stay as far away from dairy as I can. She seemed to think that as long as I was faithful about it, I would get about the same amount as with Tums (my previous calcium delivery device). I'm pretty good about it in the winter but get lax in the summer when I don't think much about drinking warm beverages.

CorsairMac
10-26-2005, 09:31 AM
While I'm not a big fan of chocolate, my doc recommended having a cup of hot soy cocoa (using the calcium enriched stuff) as I stay as far away from dairy as I can. She seemed to think that as long as I was faithful about it, I would get about the same amount as with Tums (my previous calcium delivery device). I'm pretty good about it in the winter but get lax in the summer when I don't think much about drinking warm beverages.

drink it iced - like iced coffee!

RoadRaven
10-28-2005, 11:03 AM
It had never occurred to me that this was an issue for men!
Thanks for posting the article... I have sent the link on to few others.

The thing that isn't mentioned in here is the diet of serious and/or elite cyclists which, without supplements or careful monitoring (or both), would lack in calcium and other essential nutrients...

What do we all want ? To drop weight so we are faster up hills, so our power:weight ratio improves, so we are more aerodynamic... so we try to lose weight. In male cyclists its that under 10% body fat that they aim for. Natural thing to cut out - dairy... high in fats, lactose sugars and calcium...

I think a study like this should also have considered diet, because that MUST be a factor in bone density (or lack thereof...)