PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Thursday for tour

soprano
05-30-2011, 02:54 PM
I want to share that I'm leaving on Thursday, June 2, for a tour. I'll be riding solo from Cincinnati, Ohio, to Bar Harbor, Maine. Anyone who is interested can follow my blog here (http://titianknitter.wordpress.com); I'll try to post once a week or so, depending on computer/internet access.

I've been planning this tour since January, and the fact that it's almost time to leave feels a bit surreal. I'm shipping my bike by Fedex to the start point, so I had to box it up today, and tomorrow I get to sit around all day and wait for the Fedex truck to show up. I just can't believe that it's almost time to go!

Something that's been difficult to deal with is the number of people (all women of a certain age) who are terribly concerned about my safety and seem to be convinced that doing something like this is tantamount to committing suicide. Um, really, I live in a large urban area, and I suspect that I'll be safer on tour than I am at home. My biggest worry is that my house will be broken into while I'm gone - daytime burglary is rife in our city and my husband works long hours. I suspect that many of my naysayers don't understand the desire to go and accomplish something like this alone. There's something about being an introvert that some people just don't get :rolleyes:

Wish me luck!

emily_in_nc
05-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Luck luck luck <--- wished your way!

I think you are awesome for doing this! Denise Goldberg (I think you can look her up on crazyguyonabike) has done lots of solo touring and actually lived to tell the tale. :D

I don't know that I'd want to solo tour, but not so much from a fear factor (I love solo riding!) but just from an "I want to share every bit of this with someone special") standpoint.

I totally get what you are saying, though. My DH and I are moving to Belize later this year, and we get the same reactions. It's crazy how scared people are of life! I got this reaction when talking to a couple about Belize at a rest stop on a ride this weekend. I finally said "If I were scared of life, I wouldn't be riding on the road". They took pause, since they were also riding on the road! :D

Good luck! I will follow your blog. You rock! :p

indysteel
05-30-2011, 04:09 PM
I, too, think it's great that you're doing this, and I wish you the best of luck!!! I've done some solo traveling myself--nothing as adventurous as your tour--but still, I got the same reaction that you got. Some people just make a career out of worrying. The truth is that those were the best trips of my life. I love my husband and my friends, but the time I've spent in my own company and under my own steam are some of my most cherished memories.

Happy and safe travels!

Catrin
05-30-2011, 04:30 PM
It sounds like an exciting adventure! I have friends like that as well, they are convinced that riding solo dooms me to an early and violent death - the dog attack hasn't helped that...but I understand where it comes from.

I am excited for you and looking forward to following your adventure on your blog, thanks for giving us the chance to follow your journey!

Tri Girl
05-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Best of luck on your adventure! Here's to wishing you many happy, peaceful, exciting, adventurous miles. I'm not going to tell you to be safe, because I don't think what you're doing is inherently dangerous (unlike most people who don't understand the need to seek adventure and live life outside the box).
I wish I could come along with you!!!!!:D

Keep us updated with pictures and stories. I'll be checking back in for updates.
Have a BLAST!!!!:):):):):):)

KathiCville
05-31-2011, 02:12 AM
Good for you!!! Have fun and ignore the naysayers!

I've taken 90 percent of my vacations alone over the years and generally prefer to sally forth solo. Great way to recharge and explore without worrying about whether your partner or mate or friend is in sync with your energy level, mood, interests. I haven't done any bike touring solo yet, but it's on my list.

Just use common sense and listen to your gut! Have a ball!! :D

channlluv
05-31-2011, 05:28 AM
I can't wait to read your blog. Do be careful, but enjoy the adventure. I get a lot of that same kind of concern because I like to ride alone. They mean well. And I don't even tour! I'm riding around safe bike paths.

I guess it's big-city thinking.

I hope you learn a lot about yourself. Safe journey.

Roxy

Biketouringrook
05-31-2011, 08:46 AM
My, my, my how I envy you! This will be over 900 miles......very nice! I now do all of my tours solo, and love it. All will be well with you. I've come to learn that people out there seem to have a great deal of respect and total interest the cycle tourist. They will rush to engage in conversation and extend their services if needed. Are you going to take the Little Miami Bike Trail? If, you, have a nice 100 miles free of traffic and all other interferences, depending on your exit point. May you enjoy your travels! I look forward to your postings.

MomOnBike
05-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Good luck! I wish I were going with you.

Don't worry about the nay-sayers. What do they know? They have no experience touring.

When I went on my first tour, my brother wanted me to take my gun along. I didn't need it. All, and I do mean all of the people I met and talked with were kind, helpful and positive. I suggest you leave your gun at home, along with the kitchen sink and anything else heavy like that.

Me, I worry more about mosquitoes than people. (So take bug juice of your choice)

Do take your smile and sense of humor. They don't weigh anything and are so useful on tour.

Also, don't forget to take pictures. You can't take too many, really.

soprano
05-31-2011, 12:57 PM
The FedEx truck just came and took my bike away. Yikes! I'm having the bike shipped separately because it is cheaper, more convenient (that box weighed 65 lbs, no way I want to haul that on the airport bus) and doesn't involve the TSA trying to search and repack my bike.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I've taken many smaller solo trips before and I've always enjoyed traveling alone. I get to decide what time I get up in the morning, what restaurants look good, etc.

Biketouringrook, my parents live 3 miles from the Little Miami Trail. I was 11 years old when the first trail went in through Xenia. We thought they were nuts. I'm sure that many of the locals still think that the trail system is nuts, but the trails are recognized as a community asset and the tourism dollars are very welcome in that area. As an adult living far away, it's really cool to hear nice things about the area I grew up in.

emily_in_nc, good luck in Belize!

Biciclista
05-31-2011, 01:05 PM
good luck on your ride! i got similar admonishments when i went to Sicily.. " you can't go there ALONE"

have fun. you can do it.

Roadtrip
05-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Someday, I think it would be cool to do a tour like this, so will be following your travels. I'm from the Queen City as well, and have ridden the Little Miami many times, the first longer distance ride I did was on that trail in fact.

Wish I could ride the first few mies with you... Tho I've no doubt you'll do fine flying solo. Will try and turn the ac on high so it'll be a little cooler around here when you set off!

Shannon

kmehrzad
05-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Best wishes on your trip. I admire what you're doing.

What's your proposed route? If you're anywhere near the Northern VA area, stop in for a warm shower and a meal.

redrhodie
06-01-2011, 08:15 AM
One more day 'til takeoff! Have a great ride. I'll be checking out your blog. Nice knitting!

Sky King
06-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Sounds wonderful, we have been freezing in Idaho so anything over 60 degrees sounds good today. Just in case you haven't already done so, here is the link to Warm Showers (http://www.warmshowers.com/), great group of friendly bike riders that will put you up overnight and are often great resource for local bike route updates as well.

enjoy the ride

jamijo
06-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Hope it's a great ride, and can't wait to read the blog updates!

Have fun!

redrhodie
07-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Soprano is in NY! I've been checking her blog every once in a while to see how she's doing. Sounds like she's doing great!

Tri Girl
07-05-2011, 06:33 PM
I keep checking in on her. I wish she had more blog updates- doesn't she know I'm trying to live vicariously through her?? :p

Sounds like she's having a blast!

soprano
07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Sorry about the lack of blogging from the road! It was harder than I thought it would be to get computer access at public libraries. It seemed like whenever I found a library, it was closed, and then when I did get to a computer, I couldn't transfer photos to my blog, and who wants to read a blog with no photos? If I ever do this again, I'll probably invest in a cheap, lightweight netbook or an iPad or something.

I'll be putting up a long blog post sometime in the next day or two. In the meantime, I have photos - lots of photos! (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2309267216665.139502.1398875373&l=85b097b5cd&type=1) I may or may not leave the link up indefinitely, so take a look while you can.

margo49
07-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Wonderful...this has made my day and I'm not out of my jammies yet...isn't touring just the best...wait till you are my age and see how you will feel even more buzzed about the trip...
margo49 tootling off down Memory Lane humming one of her old road songs