PDA

View Full Version : handlebar tape

han-grrl
08-23-2001, 10:48 AM
here is a dumb question...what kind of handlebar tape should i get. i was thinking of replacing the white junk that came on my road bike (yep the good Ole Trek 330), but i don't know what i shoul replace it with. is there a difference between the cheap stuff and the fancy stuff, i was looking at the Bontrager site and it has some that is washable. that would seem pretty cool. anyway, any comments or advice would be appreciated...

Lin
08-23-2001, 03:29 PM
I have cork tape on my bars right now, and really like it. It has a nice "cush" to it. The tape on my bars also has a big cut from some rough treatment or another a few months ago. I was surprised that the tape didn't break and start to unravel several hundred miles ago. But it's still going strong.

The cork tape also doesn't exhibit wear in the same way that the vinyl-covered does. The black vinyl tape I have on my commuter bike is worn and shows white underneath.

Speaking of color, I've heard disparaging remarks about white. White tape is BEAUTIFUL... until it gets dirty. Then it's UGLY.

Sorry I can't tell you brand names... if you're interested, let me know and I'll look on the box to see what it is.

Lin

roadie gal
08-23-2001, 03:51 PM
I've got cork, too. That cushy feeling can't be beat. Mine is white with colored flecks. It looks dirty, but not horrendous. If you shop around you can find it in all sorts of colors and patterns. And it's fairly cheap.

angriecow
10-14-2002, 06:26 AM
cinelli cork
cinelli cork :D
cinelli cork !!!!!!! :D:D:D

DoubleLori
10-14-2002, 06:59 AM
Cinelli cork is the best.

"Profile Wrap" also works really well. I think it is a synthetic cork-like material since it doesn't say "cork" anywhere on the packaging, though it looks like cork.