PDA

View Full Version : Found a bike wondering what to do.

Trek420
10-21-2005, 12:42 PM
First a word about my condo assoc.

Here in Happy Valley (made up name) condos it's illegal to dump anything on the street and yet many of our 450 + units do so and often. Many times I see bikes...on top of a huge pile of junk clearly abandoned.

So far I have two rules of thumb if I see a bike trashed by the side of the streets here I have a 48 hour rule, let it stay there at least 48 hours maybe someone really parks their bike on top of a trash heap...it could happen.

still there? check Craigs list lost/stolen

still there? I have picked them up and donate the bike.

Velo girls is teamed up with a school group that rehabs and then sells bikes to train kids in bike mechanic stuff and fund their school bike team or donate it to local PAL.

So 2 days ago I'm out walking Mae (mutt), there's a bike disassembled upside down by the fence on top of broken furniture.

I do the 48 hour thing

the Craigs thing

go out last night it' still there so I do the pick it up thing....dayuhm, interesting bike.

It's a French, a web search based on the decal on the headset it's 1970's 80's, it's been neglected but the fully lugged steel frame is in good shape, no dents just a couple chips, with a very pretty paint job, tires are shot but wheels look good, new brake pads but no seat, original crank set little logo decals and such.

In other words what we would once call junk but would now call collectible or classic.

It could be that someone just didn't know how to keep it up anymore and put it out....or it could be stolen.

What's the best way to find out if it is somone's bike? If not I may want to rehab it but only if it's not stolen? BTW if you are in Hayward or recognise this PM me.

Deanna
10-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Trek,

My husband started a stolen bike registry on the web, you can check here http://tinyurl.com/dywsn to see if the owner has listed it as stolen. There's also another stolen bike list on the web somewhere--I can't find that link, but I'm sure you can google it. Otherwise, the only place I can think to check are lost and found postings.

Deanna

Trek420
10-21-2005, 01:29 PM
cool, thanks!

Even on top of a pile o' junk I'm not one to say finders keepers if it's someone's bike.

I'm checking with both of my LBS. My buddy and wrech Chris is the wrench for the local police bike cops so he'll know what to do.

Right now she's resting next to the other two ..... must ... not ... name...the ... steel.... bike. It's like the stray kitten that shows up, don't feed it or name it, doh.

Just got an e-mail from my LBS and he says it's probably a great classic bike abandoned by someone who just didn't know that he could convert it to an incredible single speed. But says first I should call my local PD with a description.

CorsairMac
10-21-2005, 01:34 PM
you could also check with the police depart. probably surprise the heck out of them that you called, but if it Was stolen, there should be a police report on it. Also the nearest LBS to you, maybe someone there worked on it in the past............

Corsair "trying not to lust after Another vintage French bike" Mac