PDA

View Full Version : Need Body Armor

talouse
04-16-2003, 07:26 AM
Hello, I'm fairly new to mountain biking - I began when my son expressed an interest in it. I'm a roadie and commuter type, myself. He's 12 now and has really improved his skills so I bought him a new bike with suspension. The problem is, he's ready to tackle the more difficult trails around here.

After our latest ride, I've discovered I need some body armor -(let's just say I'm not the the most coordinated person around!)
Shinguards are high on my list right now, and probably knee guards and elbow guards. What do you use for body armor? I'm not an especially beefy person (5' 4" 115 lbs with skinny bird legs) so I'm looking for stuff that isn't incredibly bulky and something that is comfortable and won't slip off. The only advice I've gotten is that Roach makes comfortable body armor, but I'm unsure of the sizing. Any other suggestions?

Irulan
04-16-2003, 08:19 AM
http://www.teamestrogen.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=413

In this thread look for my post that refers to what I wear.. Fox elbow guards and 661 4x4 leg armor. with links.. It's light wieght and not too much.

Irulan

Charley
04-16-2003, 11:52 AM
Hi,

Most of the on-line bike equipment stores carry light-weight body armor. Also, logon to mtbr.com and read the body armor reviews posted on this site. You don't need body armor designed for a professional downhiller and the reviews are a good place to start.

The mtbr.com site also has links to all the major vendors and on-line stores.

I don't personally wear body armor, although I have thought seriously about elbow guards after some particularily gnarly crashes.

Good luck!
Charley