PDA

View Full Version : New chain

Aint Doody
10-19-2005, 11:32 AM
I just have to tell y'all that a new chain does indeed make a difference. I have put about 2300 miles on my Trek Pilot 5.0 since I got it in March. I've often read that you should replace a chain every 1000 miles. I kept thinking, why? It seems fine to me. Well, I did it anyway and wow! It shifts smoothly again (I really hadn't noticed that it wasn't--you know--one of those gradual things). Soooo--change those chains out!!!!

DeniseGoldberg
10-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Another thing is that if you wait too long you will need to replace both the chain and the cluster. If you replace the chain on a shorter and regular basis you can often get away with just replacing the chain.

shewhobikes
10-19-2005, 05:21 PM
So it's sorta like an oil change in your car, huh? Every so many miles? I just turned 1,500 on the odometer of my road bike. So I should have it checked, or just go ahead and ask the LBS to change it out?

DeniseGoldberg
10-20-2005, 04:31 AM
So I should have it checked, or just go ahead and ask the LBS to change it out?

I'd at least have it checked.

Here's a link to an article by Sheldon Brown about chain maintenance. If you go almost to the bottom, he has a section talking about chain wear and when you do or don't need to replace the cogset in addition to the chain.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

Googlie Wooglie
10-20-2005, 08:59 AM
So, I KNOW I need a new chain -- do you rely on the LBS to choose a chain or are there options?

Dogmama
10-20-2005, 05:57 PM
Great Googlie Wooglie! (sorry, had to say that!) Is that from Frank Zappa?

I usually tell the bike shop: no cheap stuff. I ride alone in the middle of nowhere a lot. A broken chain means I'll be hoofing it.

Googlie Wooglie
10-21-2005, 09:56 AM
nah, I needed an email address and went to Google.

Thanks for the advice. What does a decent chain cost these days?

CorsairMac
10-21-2005, 11:35 AM
ok - just call me Goofy!! It just never occurred to me to have my chains looked at - at least after only 1000 miles. I mean the Harleys' chain (yes it's chaindrive - even my Harley is vintage) is supposed to last something like 5000-10,000 miles and it's a motorcycle right??.....so a bike?????

sooooooooooo while I was at my LBS picking up Baby I just casually mentioned that whole chain thing and they all said - oh yeah.....we forgot to check it and guess what??....Baby needs a new chain! I've since looked at mileage for the 2 road bikes and one of them is over 1500 and the other is 1900+ so guess I need to check those chains too!

Thanks everyone for bringing something so simple and yet so important to my attention.

sydney_b
10-23-2005, 05:43 PM
How many of you use the master link dealywhopper that makes taking the chain on and off much easier? I'm guessing that if you get a new one ever 1k, you wouldn't be need to take it off much.

bcipam
10-24-2005, 02:09 PM
nah, I needed an email address and went to Google.

Thanks for the advice. What does a decent chain cost these days?

Dura Ace - about $20 but you can find it cheaper sometimes through sales or online.

runnergirl
10-24-2005, 05:27 PM
$20!!! :eek: Campy chains are $50, and that's from performance!!!