PDA

View Full Version : Perking up the "200 Squats" app

KnottedYet
05-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Do not despair, my children!

Gather 'round, and I shall bring sunshine into your iPod/iPhone/iPad universe! ;)

Once you have mastered the 200 Squats app (awfully easy for a cyclist), you can let it reset. Reset, and add some PAIN! (doesn't that sound delicious?)

Grab your handy dumbbells and add military presses to your squats! Shift those weights from shoulders to straight overhead as you rise out of your squat. (a single weight in each hand will require a lot more scap and rotator cuff oomph to stabilize than a barbell, so switch to a barbell/bar until you are stronger if you have shoulder pain with this)

Not only have you just increased the work for your legs by adding weight to your torso, you've also just thrown your arms into a burning chaos of triceps melting terror!

Ahhhh, yesssss... feel it, my preciousssss...

Trek420
05-14-2011, 09:35 AM
I noticed the new 200 squats ap gives an option to shorten rest time between reps or even no rest between reps. Or use the rest to do something else. Some ideas; stand on one foot till tired, the switch feet, stand on one foot on a Bosu ball or anything else that makes you have to use the core, lift weights ...

tulip
05-14-2011, 12:33 PM
I have a problematic rotator cuff that gives me fits if I do too much with too heavy dumb bells. What are your thoughts on this; should I maybe do them with just a stick and no weight? I can't wait!

KnottedYet
05-14-2011, 03:54 PM
If you want to work the rotator cuff and scap stabilizers (as opposed to making the 200 Squats app a mountain of muscular misery) I'd shoot for lighter dumbbells. Just enough to fatigue your arms (3 sets of 10 whatevers) but not so heavy that your cuff and stabs are overwhelmed and you get pain. If you want to push the 200 Squats but don't want to wait for your arms to catch up, I'd use the bar.

Fatigue is good. Pain is bad.

The "Upper Extremity Matrix" is really good for shoulder stability, as long as you use LIGHT enough weights that your body can do them in good form. If you need to shove a weight around, your body will always find a way. But if you want to target weak or lazy muscles, you need to work on form with a much lighter weight than you think is appropriate. Wimpy is good! ;)

I think Oakleaf found a good UE Matrix video somewhere. At least I think it was Oakleaf... You could probably do the UE Matrix with the squat app, doing the ups, outs, and punches on the rise from the deep squat.

Dogmama
05-15-2011, 03:26 PM
During cycling/spin/running season, I think I'll pass on 200 squats. BUT, I'm downloading the 100 pushups app. :cool:

tulip
05-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks, Knot. I will do it with really light weights. I have no problem with light weights. I do the 100 pushups intermittently, and Pilates and magic circle. This will be a good addition.

Crankin
05-17-2011, 04:27 AM
There's no way I could do 200 squats and still ride or run. I guess I am getting old, because I need recovery time from squats. I can do 200, even with light weights, but that has to wait for the winter.

ny biker
05-17-2011, 06:25 AM
I don't understand. Is this 200 squats at one time? Why would anyone want to do this?

tulip
05-17-2011, 09:42 AM
No. It's a gradual program to build up to doing 5 sets that equal 200 eventually. The point is for strength, and is much like the 100 pushups program. I really find the 100 pushups program very good even though I am not consistent enough to do the 100. The effort is beneficial.

KnottedYet
05-17-2011, 05:43 PM
It's a really fun app.

You start off with a test (how many squats can you do in a row all at once without a rest).

From there, the app calculates a strengthening program doing fewer reps but multiple sets of reps with timed breaks between each set.

Every so often you re-test how many you can do all at once.

When you can do 200 in a row all at once without any breaks, the app gives you the option to reset the whole she-bang. That's when I started messing with the handweights to bump it up a bit.

It's easier to do 200 squats in a row than you might think! All that bike riding comes in handy... :D

Dogmama
05-18-2011, 03:59 AM
No. It's a gradual program to build up to doing 5 sets that equal 200 eventually. The point is for strength, and is much like the 100 pushups program. I really find the 100 pushups program very good even though I am not consistent enough to do the 100. The effort is beneficial.

I know what you mean, but technically, 200 squats would be for endurance. Strength training is less reps & more weight.

The 200 squats would be more appropriate for cyclists, since we need to strengthen the endurance (slow twitch) muscles and reap the other benefits like better blood flow to the affected muscles.

My caveat & concern about 200 squats is that the participant must watch her form. It's easy to get sloppy when the weights get heavy. A sloppy squat can blow out knees or lower backs. Be careful out there.