PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for winter

JLD
10-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Any canucks here 'ice bikers'? The cyclist who keeps right on riding straight through winter?..........I reckon I have about another 5 chilly weeks before I retire my trusty Norco to a winter's hibernation--as i am Not daring enough to try and get through snow and ice on two wheels. Sometimes where I am--just getting around on two feet is an accomplishment in and of itself when winter comes!

carback
10-18-2005, 10:37 AM
A couple of years ago, I used to winter commute (45 minutes each way) but for a variety of reasons, don't anymore. My cut off was -15 celsius or black ice, whichever came first. There's nothing quite like a slipout on black ice to bring your heart rate up.
Regardless, the secret is studded tires. I would switch over to them when winter hits and as long as there's no black ice, the traction is excellent.
I loved commuting in the winter, provided the amount of snow on the roads wasn't crazy (I had to commute through serious downtown traffic so I was more concerned about the drivers than I was about my ability to be in control).

Grog
10-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Actually it may be easier to go about on ice with (appropriate) tires than on your two feet.

I have moved to Vancouver just before I could try to ride my hybrid bike through the winter. I have a few friends who do it, some commuting some kind of long distance, others just having fun riding on the mountain in the snow, and all love it.

Some precautions apply (seeing and being seen etc.) but all in all I think it can be really fun. Check out this web site, I think it's a great resource:
http://www.bikewinter.org/

Enjoy!

JLD
10-20-2005, 05:07 AM
Thanks for this link--I'll look it over--and Admire the winter cyclists-though. I don't think I could really manage winter commuting-just in breathing alone however.