PDA

View Full Version : Push Ups...

Veronica
05-11-2011, 07:45 AM
... with your toes on the FitBall, hands shoulder width apart, holding on to twenty pound dumbbells.

Major core work to not let that ball move!

Followed by flies with those 20 pound dumbbells and on the FitBall.

OUCH!

Veronica

TsPoet
05-11-2011, 08:50 AM
OUCH!

Veronica

I'll say!

Irulan
05-11-2011, 09:30 AM
feet on ball, pushups holding dumbells? how can you use dumbbells and do pushups at the same time? I can only picture dumbbells on the ground as handles. Or, is that what you mean :)

Veronica
05-11-2011, 09:38 AM
feet on ball, pushups holding dumbells? how can you use dumbbells and do pushups at the same time? I can only picture dumbbells on the ground as handles. Or, is that what you mean :)

Yep, that's what I mean. Sorry it wasn't clear. :)

Veronica

nscrbug
05-11-2011, 03:33 PM

I've always wondered what the purpose is for doing pushups this way? I know some people (mainly guys I've seen) do them this way and then also incorporate an alternating "row" with the dumbbell in between each pushup. But for those that don't do the row...what do the dumbbells add to it, other than placing your hands on them? Does it add more instability to the movement? I have weak (and sometimes painful) wrists, and just doing regular pushups with my hands on the floor can be quite painful on my wrists. Will doing them on dumbbells help? I sometimes do my pushups using a Bosu ball (hands on the flat side of Bosu), which definitely adds an element of instability.

Irulan
05-11-2011, 04:02 PM
I've always wondered what the purpose is for doing pushups this way? I know some people (mainly guys I've seen) do them this way and then also incorporate an alternating "row" with the dumbbell in between each pushup. But for those that don't do the row...what do the dumbbells add to it, other than placing your hands on them? Does it add more instability to the movement? I have weak (and sometimes painful) wrists, and just doing regular pushups with my hands on the floor can be quite painful on my wrists. Will doing them on dumbbells help? I sometimes do my pushups using a Bosu ball (hands on the flat side of Bosu), which definitely adds an element of instability.

using them as handles just give you an alternate position for your wrist:
less strain. DH does them this way, he can't put his hands on the floor.

Push up variations, ( bosu, bridge position, alternating medicine ball under one hand etc) are great for core and upper body stability in addition to strength.

Dogmama
05-13-2011, 04:40 AM

I use them as "handles" because it hurts my wrists. Adding the row in between, often called a "renegade row" is obviously good posterior deltoid, upper back work, but also engages the core.

When you elevate your feet, you are engaging the upper part of your chest muscles.

OakLeaf
05-13-2011, 04:44 AM
Another alternative for weak wrists is simply to take the weight out of your wrists and place it in your hands and fingers where it belongs. Make sure that all of the metacarpal heads are on the floor - particularly the second (index finger) and fourth (ring finger) heads, which tend to raise up as people partially disengage the shoulders and forearms. Engage your fingers and thumbs so it feels like you're pulling the floor towards yourself. Isometrically internally rotate your wrists while simultaneously externally rotating your shoulders. There should be very little weight in your wrists. This is the safe way to do any maneuver with your hands on the ground, from planks and pushups to downward dog and handstand.

V - are you doing those flyes while you stay in plank position, feet on the ball? :eek: (Or rolling back to put your midsection on the ball? Either way - tough gal! :D)

Dogmama
05-13-2011, 04:44 AM
Veronica, I found this on a Navy Seals website & did them yesterday. Intense!

Hands on dumbbells in push up position. Do one pushup, one row, one pushup & a row on the other side.

Jump between the dumbbells (you are now squatting) and clean them to your shoulders. Stand up. Do one squat-push press. You are now standing with the dumbbells overhead.

Do two lunges. Squat down, place dumbbells in push up position & repeat.

Veronica
05-13-2011, 04:52 AM
V - are you doing those flyes while you stay in plank position, feet on the ball? :eek: (Or rolling back to put your midsection on the ball? Either way - tough gal! :D)

Feet on the floor, upper back on the ball.

Veronica

Veronica
05-13-2011, 04:53 AM
Veronica, I found this on a Navy Seals website & did them yesterday. Intense!

Hands on dumbbells in push up position. Do one pushup, one row, one pushup & a row on the other side.

Jump between the dumbbells (you are now squatting) and clean them to your shoulders. Stand up. Do one squat-push press. You are now standing with the dumbbells overhead.

Do two lunges. Squat down, place dumbbells in push up position & repeat.

Don't give my trainer ideas! :D

Veronica