PDA

View Full Version : who turned the wind on?

DeniseGoldberg
10-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Wow - I just got back from a somewhat scary ride. I couldn't skip riding - no riding for two weeks this early in the season hurts, and the roads were dry. But the wind! I was almost blown off the road a few times, but the really scary thing were the branches flying off of trees.

I expected the leaves to be flying, and they were. I didn't expect whole branches to be falling off of the trees though. I was able to dodge all but one of them, and that one dropped right in front of my wheel. Luckily it was of a size that I could ride over it. I hate to even think about what would happen if one of them had landed on my helmeted head! After the one that hit right in front of me, I cut my ride short (bummer, only 25 miles today...) and headed for home by the most direct route!

Anyone else out there today?

--- Denise

Rakekay
10-16-2005, 12:53 PM
It's windy here this week in the DC area too. I finally got back on my bike yesterday after being off for way too long due to way too much rainy weather. What with the wind AND being off for a while, the 30 miles were tougher than they should have been. It's even windier today, so I chose not to ride. Although I've got a century (my first) next weekend, so I better get back on soon!

traveller_62
10-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Here in Maine there is soaking rain, wind, and leaves all over the road. So no biking outside for me today. Instead I did a 90 minute Spinerval tape on the trainer. Not nearly as enjoyable as the real thing, but a good workout anyway.

Fingers crossed for decent weather in the coming week!

traveller

Trekhawk
10-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Wow - I just got back from a somewhat scary ride. I couldn't skip riding - no riding for two weeks this early in the season hurts, and the roads were dry. But the wind! I was almost blown off the road a few times, but the really scarey thing were the branches flying off of trees.
I expected the leaves to be flying, and they were. I didn't expect whole branches to be falling off of the trees though. I was able to dodge all but one of them, and that one dropped right in front of my wheel. Luckily it was of a size that I could ride over it. I hate to even think about what would happen if one of them had landed on my helmeted head! After the one that hit right in front of me, I cut my ride short (bummer, only 25 miles today...) and headed for home by the most direct route!
Anyone else out there today?
--- Denise

Yikes Denise that sounds scary. Glad to hear you got home ok. :)

Pax
10-16-2005, 03:05 PM
I was out today but on my motorcycle, the wind made for a scary ride home. Tooling along at 65mph with 10mph winds and out of nowhere gusts of 45mph...tends to lay the bike over sideways a bit. :eek:

jobob
10-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Veronica and I rode up & down Mt. Diablo today in some pretty heavy-duty winds. According to the weather report the winds were gusting around 30 mph on Diablo today :eek: . There were times when I was pedalling uphill into a headwind when I felt like I was going backwards :p The scariest moments were when I would round a bend in the road and the wind would suddenly blast into me. It made for a very cautious descent !

The things we do to get photographed at the summit in our Amici Veloci jerseys :rolleyes:

SadieKate
10-16-2005, 05:13 PM
So, where are the photos?

I stayed inside today due to the winds. Branches were flying here also. Coast to coast!!

nuthatch
10-16-2005, 05:15 PM
You guys on in the northeast really got hammered by that storm! My husband was on travel in New Jersey last week and he said it rained sideways all week long. Come on over here to the midwest - the weather is gorgeous!

CorsairMac
10-16-2005, 07:42 PM
My heart goes out to all of you - I know what it's like riding in headwind/wind gusts like that. NM won't even post high wind warnings for anything under 50 mph! :eek: but it was sunny and 73 here today. Quite lovely actually although I didn't get to go for a ride - still doing that whole "running around like a headless chicken" thing! lol

Denise the angels were with you today my friend. It sounds like you called it quits just in time! Good day for hot cocoa and a good movie.

DeniseGoldberg
10-17-2005, 04:32 AM
Wow - it does seem like yesterday was a day of coast-to-coast winds! It's still howling here, but hopefully it will die out by the weekend (which unfortunately is my only riding time at this time of year!).

And CorsairMac - careful there, we might all decide that we need to join you in Albuquerque!

wabisabi
10-17-2005, 11:14 AM
We had big wind up here on the north ca. coast also, but at least the wind shifted from the north just as we returned heading south, making for a very speedy ride back! Noticed a few crazy surfers were also out in some big water.

Crankin
10-18-2005, 04:32 PM
We went out for a short ride Sunday (15 miles) because i couldn't stand it... we were supposed to do a 40 mile ride, but it was cancelled. The wind didn't bother me until (of course) we turned onto Rt. 117 for about a quarter of a mile. I guess the wind was coming out of the west, because it nearly blew me off my bike and into the cars. Needless to say, I was happy with 15 miles.

I rode 16 and half miles today, up some hills and it still seemed very windy. I will try again tomorrow, since there's only 8 more days of after work riding time left for me. Hopefully, I can do 20-25 tomorrow!

Robyn

CorsairMac
10-19-2005, 08:24 AM
I thought I heard that DST was being extended 1 more week now??.......that it doesn't end until the first weekend in Nov?? :confused: :confused:

DeniseGoldberg
10-19-2005, 08:31 AM
I thought I heard that DST was being extended 1 more week now??.......that it doesn't end until the first weekend in Nov?? :confused: :confused:

That change doesn't kick in this year - based on a web search I just did, it doesn't start until March of 2007.

wavedancer
10-19-2005, 06:13 PM
This is the first time in my life that I am actually looking forward to DST ending! Yikes! I never thought I'd say that, but because I don't get out of work until after 6:00PM, I have been going out for early morning 6 AM rides. It is pitch dark on both ends of the day now, but with a return to standard time I might have a little more light in the morning. I have NEVER been a morning exercise person...amazing what the bike can make you do!

BikeMomma
10-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Here in Maine there is soaking rain, wind, and leaves all over the road. So no biking outside for me today. Instead I did a 90 minute Spinerval tape on the trainer. Not nearly as enjoyable as the real thing, but a good workout anyway.

Fingers crossed for decent weather in the coming week!

Hey Traveller -

I was out in that soaking rain Saturday! (Mainerider - I got soaked anyway...so I reeeeally should have just hurried up and went to the shop...oh well...still got a ride in). I'll post to my trip thread real soon. Been running like a chicken since I got back to CA.

Maine was beautiful, even with the rain, though. Felt like home. :)
-BikeMomma

traveller_62
10-20-2005, 04:22 AM
I was out in that soaking rain Saturday! (Mainerider - I got soaked anyway...so I reeeeally should have just hurried up and went to the shop...oh well...still got a ride in). I'll post to my trip thread real soon. Been running like a chicken since I got back to CA.

Hi BikeMomma,

Look forward to reading about your adventures. I'm glad you got out for a ride but it must have been a soaker (or a soakah as they say Downeast)! :eek:

Weather is great here now. Nice crisp fall air and blue sky. Unfortunately I'm swamped at work and don't get home until after dark so it's the trainer for me until the weekend.

-traveller

DeniseGoldberg
10-20-2005, 04:35 AM
I was out in that soaking rain Saturday! (Mainerider - I got soaked anyway...so I reeeeally should have just hurried up and went to the shop...oh well...still got a ride in).

Maine was beautiful, even with the rain, though. Felt like home. :)
-BikeMomma

Wow - that's impressive that you managed to get out in the midst of all of that wet. It was absolutely a solid day of rain here in northeastern Massachusetts on Saturday, and from the weather reports I saw it looked like it extended far up the coast. I've got to hand it to you to ride in that - and I too am looking forward to reading your trip report.

--- Denise

JLD
10-20-2005, 05:05 AM
hey! Hasn't been weather-quiet in Ottawa for over a week. There have been moments I have thought I was bike commuting as a flying object! And RAIN__OH!!!!!!!! My hair is pushing up through the helmet-looking for a sun not hidden by clouds!