PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest Loser

Helen
10-16-2005, 03:22 AM
To tell you the truth I am fan of The Biggest Loser show and I can relate to a lot of the problems those people are going thru. How many of you are watching this show. Moreover ... do you like it ?

Pedal Wench
10-16-2005, 07:39 AM
I wish they would focus less on the drama and more on the nuts-n-bolts of what they're doing every day to lose the weight - what are they eating, what are they doing specifically to lose the numbers they're losing. I mean, some of them are dropping 10-15 lbs a week! Inquiring minds want to know how!

snapdragen
10-16-2005, 07:52 AM
Oh but it's so unhealthy to lose so much weight in so short a time. I guess for the entertainment value the show does alright, I've only seen a bit of it. But as far as promoting a healthy way to lose weight, no way.

abuelitodimetu
10-16-2005, 01:11 PM
The only reason the initially burn so much weight is because they have such high body masses. I bet their resting metabolic rate is higher than average and, furthermore, because of their high BM, they burn many more calories while excercising.

Helen
10-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Oh but it's so unhealthy to lose so much weight in so short a time. I guess for the entertainment value the show does alright, I've only seen a bit of it. But as far as promoting a healthy way to lose weight, no way.

Why do you think like that ?
I am certain they are fully aware of what they are doing to their bodies with the rapid loss of weight and all ... and they came fully prepared for that.

Grog
10-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Why do you think like that ?
I am certain they are fully aware of what they are doing to their bodies with the rapid loss of weight and all ... and they came fully prepared for that.

I too have repeatedly heard and read that loosing a lot of weight in a short time is quite unhealthy, and makes you much more prone to gaining that weight back later on. In general, the body dislikes sudden, dramatic changes. Among other things, I suspect loosing a lot of fat in a short time would significantly disturb one's hormonal balance, which is unlikely to make you feel better. I agree with abuelitodimetu that the more you weight, the more you loose when you start working out and all, but 15 pounds a week for a few weeks is frightening.

Helen
10-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Yes, it is freightening but when you think of all the health problems they had before because of their overweight problem ... loosing all that weight in a short period of time wouldn't appear that freightening at all. There could be some hormonal problems but they are small potate compared to their general overweight problems. Wouldn't you agree ?

Surlygirl
10-21-2005, 11:16 AM
My problem with the show is I think it is very unrealistic. How many of you can spend 5-6 hours a day just working out. That's how they get the big numbers and in the first season they gave the two different menus they were using and they were 1200 calories which is not a lot for people their size. I think it sets unrealistic expectations. Losing that much weight in a week is just not healthy. Slow and steady is what most nutrionists will tell you, 1-2 pounds a week.

Irulan
10-21-2005, 05:07 PM
how about a follow up show in two years to see who has maintained it? One of the big problems as I understand it, with rapid wieght loss is that the metabolism doens't have a chance to recalibrate itself, and it's much easier to gain the weight back.

~irulan

Grog
10-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Yes, it is freightening but when you think of all the health problems they had before because of their overweight problem ... loosing all that weight in a short period of time wouldn't appear that freightening at all. There could be some hormonal problems but they are small potate compared to their general overweight problems. Wouldn't you agree ?

I'm afraid I can't agree. As I understand it, most health problems related to obesity are long-term problems. It's not as if loosing that weight today or tomorrow is a question of *immediate* life and death. Loosing weight very fast could in fact cause more problems than it solves, most notably by inducing fast weight gain later on and irrealistic ideas about exercising and eating habits. For example, 1200 calories a day is NOTHING, I (at 120 lbs) eat more than that on most days (and I don't exercise so much). Also, in normal life, you don't spend your whole day exercising. After a few months of the regimen they're enduring, I'd totally understand that they would be overtrained and burned-out, which would be very, very bad for their fitness.

I fear that a very fast weight loss could be damaging both physically and mentally. Loosing 10-15 lbs a month may seem very little for someone weighting say 250 or 300, but it adds up quite fast. At 10 lbs a month, our 250-pounder who starts training in the Spring will be at a very healthy weight for Christmas. A friend of mine lost about 55 lbs (from 200 to 145 at 5'6") in approx 4 years by becoming a commuter and avid road biker. The benefits were certainly higher and more long-term for him than if he would have lost all of those 55 lbs in one Summer.

Moderation in all things, so they say...

Cheers!

Helen
10-28-2005, 03:09 AM
A friend of mine lost about 55 lbs (from 200 to 145 at 5'6") in approx 4 years by becoming a commuter and avid road biker. The benefits were certainly higher and more long-term for him than if he would have lost all of those 55 lbs in one Summer.

Moderation in all things, so they say...

Cheers!

I agree ... moderation is the best. Oh and I always thought that outdoor activities are the best way to maintain a healthy life.

MomOnBike
10-28-2005, 07:24 AM
Disclaimer: I've never seen the show, so I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

However, one thought I keep having is a question of percentages. 5 lbs a week is a completely different proposition for a 500 lb person than a bitsy little 97-lbs-soaking-wet person. Maybe, just maybe we should be talking about loosing some percentage (1-2%?) of body weight a week instead 1-2 pounds. I may be wrong, of course.

I'm not sure, either, that the awful effects of loosing weight too rapidly are all that much worse than the effects of massive obesity - which are truely nasty.

Odd, this conversation makes me want to get on my bike and ride.

Mom(off to get dressed for a bike ride)On(soon)Bike