PDA

View Full Version : New cyclist (sore)

sarahtri
04-15-2003, 03:26 PM
I am just starting out in triathlon and I'm getting a really sore butt. Ouch. I've been riding in padded shorts and it hurts. I was wondering if underwear choice would help the pain, or do I have to tough it out until I get caluses? Or would no underwear hurt less? Just need some ideas! Thanks!

Veronica
04-15-2003, 04:48 PM
Ohhhh - no underwear with padded shorts. Just thinking about it gives me the heebie jeebies.

Veronica

goddess1222
04-15-2003, 10:17 PM
i second Veronica, no undies! also, if your butt really hurts, you might want to think about switching seats. that can make a huge difference.

sempre
04-15-2003, 11:20 PM
I have to firmly agree with the no underwear policy. But it's also worth remembering that the soreness will go away the more you ride - trust me!

RoxGirl77
07-31-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by sarahtri
I am just starting out in triathlon and I'm getting a really sore butt. Ouch. I've been riding in padded shorts and it hurts. I was wondering if underwear choice would help the pain, or do I have to tough it out until I get caluses? Or would no underwear hurt less? Just need some ideas! Thanks!

Yes, deffo NO to the undies. WAY too much friction for biking! When I started teaching spin classes I'd get literally black and blue from all the rubbing... not good!

At first it feels weird, after a while it feels totally normal to slide your padded shorts on without undies! (Most chamois clean up great too!)

goddess1222
08-02-2003, 09:52 AM
might be a good idea to look into another seat. women are the hardest to fit when it comes to the seat.

RoxGirl77
08-02-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by goddess1222
might be a good idea to look into another seat. women are the hardest to fit when it comes to the seat.

I swiched to a mens Serfas seat... improved my comfort level 10 fold!:D

waterlilli
08-04-2003, 05:51 AM
Am I the only one who does not like padded shorts? I really can not stand padding. I love Zoot shorts, because they only have a small fleece liner. They are great for tris because it dries fast and feels really nice. They really make great products.

Veronica
08-04-2003, 06:32 AM
I'm pretty picky about how much of the padding goes down my the inside of my legs. Pearl Izumis have way too much padding for me. I just got a new pair of Sugois that have worrked out great so far on shorter rides. I'm looking forward to testing them out on a century.

I ride to work in my regular clothes everday and from that experience I can see how doing long rides with underwear on could be a bad idea. Maybe it's just my undies... but there are seams that could become irritating after a while.

Veronica