PDA

View Full Version : Beer...

Catrin
04-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Beer how I love thee, let me count the ways! I love how your midnight dark brew almost fizzes on the tongue and lifts my spirit. I love the different brews, but the midnight dark brews do have my heart.

Especially Bad Elmer Porter, Stockhouse Oatmeal Stout, and Bells Best Brown Ale...

Next?

badgercat
04-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Mmmm beer. I prefer ambers / reds, myself. :p

KnottedYet
04-16-2011, 03:44 PM
New Grist by Lakefront Brewery.
http://lakefrontbrewery.com/gluten_free.html

A deliciously bitter hoppy piece of joy for those of us who have celiac disease and are barred from our beloved reds...

"BEER: now cheaper than gas! Drink, don't drive."

(Other people besides me have begged the makers of Fat Tire to do a gluten-free beer, but they say that it's just impossible for them to avoid cross contamination in their plant. Very sad, because I'd really like to support New Belgium for all their bike advocacy.)

Catrin
04-16-2011, 03:48 PM
I don't think I have tried any of the reds. I don't like bitter beer though - my beloved dark beers are far from that. Have tried Bells Amber, and it was pretty good.

Have tried Fat Tire and I wouldn't turn it down, but there are others I like far better. Good to support their advocacy efforts though. I've been known to buy it for others :)

tangentgirl
04-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Three little letters are the key to my heart: IPA.

Grog
04-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Deschutes Black Butte Porter, perhaps the best beer in the whole world.

Kilkenny comes close behind.

Catrin
04-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Deschutes Black Butte Porter, perhaps the best beer in the whole world.

Kilkenny comes close behind.

Hmmmm, where do you live in the US? I've only had one Porter so far, Upland's Bad Elmer Porter which is my current favorite. I wonder if I can get that in Central Indiana...

OakLeaf
04-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Orange Blossom Pilsner (http://www.uniquebeers.com/obp/) in the summer ... Columbus Brewing Co. (http://www.columbusbrewingco.com/) Oatmeal Stout in the winter. :D

Pax
04-16-2011, 05:34 PM
I am rockin' the very delicious Smuttynose Robust Porter these days. Thick, dark, starts with the tiniest bit of sweet and then finishes with a bit of bitter followed by smoke/chocolate/coffee... YUM!!!

http://greatbrewers.com/sites/default/files/images/Product%20-%20Smuttynose%20Robust%20Porter.preview.jpg

snapdragen
04-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Love Black Butte Porter-have your tried Black Butte XXI (http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brews/reserve-series/black-butte-xx/default.aspx)? Another favorite is Old Rasputin Imperial Stout :p

Grog
04-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Catrin, I live in Vancouver BC, not in the USA, however I have found Deschutes beers in most locations on the west coast and even in Hawaii. I'm sure you can find it at some local fancy beer store, or just write Deschutes an email to ask where it's distributed in your state!

Snap, I am afraid I cannot find that anywhere around here!! :( I look forward to a trip to Portland this summer though, where I am sure it will be available. (Will it?)

sookiesue
09-03-2011, 08:44 PM
IPA - the hoppier the better. Ninkasi Total Domination is my current favorite. This year's summer beers were tasty, though. Widmer Citra Blonde was great. And the new CDA's, AKA Black IPA are fantastic. Beer is good.

zoom-zoom
09-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Bells Best Brown Ale...

Next?

And Oberon...still the best "shower beer." But the beer that could potentially unseat Oberon is Brewery Vivant's "Solitude." All of their beers come in pint cans...so shower-friendly!
http://craftcans.com/cards/big_cards/solitudecard.jpg

And New Glarus...the only one of their brews I've not cared for is Totally Naked--I'm not a lager fan, generally. Too thin/mild/bland.

ClockworkOrange
09-04-2011, 03:04 AM
Really cannot see what is good about beer BUT I know I am in the minority AND I would love to enjoy drinking it, there seem to be so many fun varieties too.

Living in the UK it is something I do not shout from the roof tops, as I would be probably be considered very weird not liking beer.

Cheers too you all. :p

jessmarimba
09-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Catrin, Bells has a porter you might be able to find. Not my favorite, but not bad. I love Bells but they don't distribute out here. Same with Southern Tier.

My favorite beer at the momen is Great Divide's Smoked Baltic Porter. YUM.

ehirsch83
09-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Just had Rogue Dog 75 year anniversary. Treat yourself to a bottle if you can find it! So yummy

Catrin
09-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Catrin, Bells has a porter you might be able to find. Not my favorite, but not bad. I love Bells but they don't distribute out here. Same with Southern Tier.

My favorite beer at the momen is Great Divide's Smoked Baltic Porter. YUM.

I love Upland's Bad Elmer Porter :) There is also a couple of local microbreweries that have great porters, one in particular.

I just discovered a yummy English Double Chocolate Stout - Youngs Double Chocolate Stout (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/664/73). It is nice and malty which is just what I like - I am not a lover of hops. It is a bit light for a stout but still pretty yummy.

I am going to try a new (to me) oatmeal stout tonight which is also an import: "Samuel Smith Old Brewery Tadcaster Oatmeal Stout". I love a good oatmeal stout so we will see what I think of it.

I think I may have had the Bells Porter, but can't remember what it was called - so either I wasn't all that fond of it or I am mistaken. Hopefully the latter :)

Sky King
10-07-2011, 06:00 AM
We celebrated 31 years of being married on Wednesday - wow where have those years gone. Anyway the bistro next door was having a "beer pairing" dinner - how perfect. Beers were from Ninkasi Brewing in Eugene. on another note my Dr. said the best way to combat the middle age waistline is to cut down on Carbs! Yikes I think I just need to up my time on the bike

bluebug32
10-07-2011, 07:05 AM
We brew at home. Had our pumpkin last night, brewed in the Belgian style. Tasty stuff!

Crankin
10-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Yea, I've cut down the carbs, but I still allow for a beer once in awhile. You can't live life with no pleasure. I'd rather go without other foods.

beccaB
10-07-2011, 01:00 PM
If you're ever in the Midland, Saginaw, Bay City area of Michigan, or Ann Arbor's old whole foods had it... Tri City Charity Island IPA. Such a beautiful thing. Nearly made me cry! Think I'll go have one now!

Owlie
10-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm trying to like beer. I've only really tried IPAs (and there were some good and bad ones)...Malty, you say? Next time I go shopping...

:)

bluebug32
10-08-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm trying to like beer. I've only really tried IPAs (and there were some good and bad ones)...Malty, you say? Next time I go shopping...

IPAs are pretty hard intros to beer. They can be pretty strong and bitter, somewhat of an acquired taste, even for beer lovers. I would try a stout like a coffee or chocolate one. Also, there are some good fruit beers and ales that aren't as strong as IPAs.

jessmarimba
10-08-2011, 07:17 PM
I'd suggest a red/amber ale if you're looking for "beer" but not something as strongly flavored as an IPA. But really...just sample :) If you're ever at a restaurant where you can get a flight or sampler of 4-6 smaller servings, definitely go for it.

Owlie
10-08-2011, 07:53 PM
There was a bar in Cleveland that served only Belgian beers (and a few local ones), and I had some fantastic (and not so fantastic) stuff there.

I don't see the point in drinking lambics. The two I tried tasted like...well, alcoholic fruit juice.

zoom-zoom
10-08-2011, 08:25 PM
I don't see the point in drinking lambics. The two I tried tasted like...well, alcoholic fruit juice.

You say that like it's a bad thing... ;) I love lambics. I just don't think of them as beer. They are more cider-like to me.

VeganBikeChick
10-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Framboise Lambic is one of my favorites - specifically because it's not all "beer-y".

Owlie
10-09-2011, 05:24 AM
You say that like it's a bad thing... ;) I love lambics. I just don't think of them as beer. They are more cider-like to me.

I had an apple lambic and a sip of someone else's peach one. The apple was just like drinking alcoholic, fizzy apple juice. It was weird. The peach...uh...

emily_in_nc
10-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Yes, IPAs are intense and bitter, to me anyway. I love beer, but not IPAs! Try a hefeweisen. Or just a basic lager. I love the fruity beers too, and pumpkin ale can be pretty yummy in the fall!

zoom-zoom
10-09-2011, 07:06 PM
I had an apple lambic and a sip of someone else's peach one. The apple was just like drinking alcoholic, fizzy apple juice. It was weird. The peach...uh...

OMG, was it the New Glarus apple beer that they did last year? To. die. for. Made me cry when mine was gone, since we can't get it here and it was a limited edition thing.

Owlie
10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
OMG, was it the New Glarus apple beer that they did last year? To. die. for. Made me cry when mine was gone, since we can't get it here and it was a limited edition thing.

No, it was Lindeman (Belgian). I've never found it since, though I'm pretty sure Jungle Jim's has it. (They have everything...)

zoom-zoom
10-09-2011, 07:45 PM
No, it was Lindeman (Belgian). I've never found it since, though I'm pretty sure Jungle Jim's has it. (They have everything...)

Ooh, I've not had their apple, but I love their framboise...

Catrin
10-10-2011, 01:50 AM

IPA...don't like. Don't like most lagers and I find wheat beers and indeed most light beers boring at best. I LOVE good porters and stouts however and no one was more surprised than I to discover that. Not all stouts are bitter like Guinness - I do not enjoy bitter or very hoppy. Fruity beers? I generally don't care for them, but there have been a couple of selections. Malty is good! Ale is good, when it is good. I've tasted so many this year that looked promising, but many were too weak in taste. My favorite dark ale is Black Toad that I get at Trader Joe's...it almost fizzes on the tongue ;)

Owlie
10-10-2011, 04:46 AM
I picked up some Edmund Fitzgerald (Great Lakes Brewing Co) over the weekend. Let's see how this goes...

jyyanks
10-10-2011, 05:57 PM
I am rockin' the very delicious Smuttynose Robust Porter these days. Thick, dark, starts with the tiniest bit of sweet and then finishes with a bit of bitter followed by smoke/chocolate/coffee... YUM!!!

http://greatbrewers.com/sites/default/files/images/Product%20-%20Smuttynose%20Robust%20Porter.preview.jpg

OMG where can I get this?

Owlie
10-11-2011, 05:00 PM
I picked up some Edmund Fitzgerald (Great Lakes Brewing Co) over the weekend. Let's see how this goes...

I cracked one open today while studying. (It has been that sort of day.)
I don't know why I didn't expect this, because I know it happens with tea (some more than others), but the flavor profile changes as it warms up. At first (just out of the fridge), it tasted just bitter. Now it tastes vaguely like chocolate and burnt coffee. Pretty good, actually.

jessmarimba
10-11-2011, 07:38 PM
I just had a New Belgium Hoptober and now I'm having a sneezing fit. I refuse to admit that I may be allergic to beer...

Sky King
12-10-2011, 06:15 AM
It's holiday beer time!!!! Last night we enjoyed Sierra Nevada Gran Cru - I think the alcohol content is 12%, our favorite hangout seasoned these beers for a year (you can do that with a high alcohol count beer) The DH and I shared 2 - 22 oz with dinner. Our favorite server was teasing us but we both remember the bike ride home so it wasn't that strong :)

beccaB
12-10-2011, 06:59 AM
I just had a New Belgium Hoptober and now I'm having a sneezing fit. I refuse to admit that I may be allergic to beer...

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger It's homeopathy for allergies:D
I have the same problem. I just suffer through it. Might be the sulfites.

emily_in_nc
12-10-2011, 09:20 AM
We have only one seasonal brew down here in Belize due to the Bowen & Bowen monopoly -- Belikin Sorrel Stout. I like it, though!

Here's a blog post about it (not mine):

http://www.sanpedroscoop.com/2011/12/belikins-holiday-drink-sorrel-stout.html

marni
12-10-2011, 06:09 PM
I am currently enjoying St. Arnolds special Christmas ale, alternating with chocolate stout which definitely becomes a different beer when a bit warm.

happy holidays

marni

jessmarimba
12-10-2011, 06:28 PM
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger It's homeopathy for allergies:D
I have the same problem. I just suffer through it. Might be the sulfites.

Turns out it's just IPAs, and not all of them. Odd. Am wondering if it's a certain kind of hops, but I haven't kept track well enough to know.

Happily enjoying a New Belgium Snow Day now :) Currently my favorite beer.

Catrin
12-21-2011, 03:05 AM
Upland Brewery has a fine chocolate Imperial Russian Stout seasonal by the name of "Teddy Bear Kisses" Wonderful! It is the first time that an ounce of beer actually warmed my stomach. For some little time :) I think that is from the 10.5% alcohol content...but it is a wonderful winter beer. It actually doesn't taste quite like beer to me, but it is quite yummy. If you are in Indiana, or otherwise have access to this holiday seasonal, it is worth getting it.

Owlie
12-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Upland Brewery has a fine chocolate Imperial Russian Stout seasonal by the name of "Teddy Bear Kisses" Wonderful! It is the first time that an ounce of beer actually warmed my stomach. For some little time :) I think that is from the 10.5% alcohol content...but it is a wonderful winter beer. It actually doesn't taste quite like beer to me, but it is quite yummy. If you are in Indiana, or otherwise have access to this holiday seasonal, it is worth getting it.
That sounds pretty good...

The newest sensation around here: Yuengling. (Pennsylvania--clearly some kind of exotic location...) Not bad. (I had one while at a friend's, and a quarter of one with my advisor). I also recently tried a vanilla porter. It won't be a favorite, I don't think, but it wasn't bad.

Pity I missed out on the Great Lakes Christmas Ale this year.

meganm
12-28-2011, 06:14 PM
New Belgium has brought Fat Tire to the east coast. I'm one very happy girl!

Owlie
12-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Maybe we'll eventually find it here. I had one once, at DBF's dad's request (they live in AZ) and I wasn't sure what to think of it. I'd like to try it again without having to buy a plane ticket first.

jessmarimba
12-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Sorry Owlie, not available in Ohio yet (or Kentucky, but New Belgium distributes to Indiana). They have a cool feature on their website - Libation Locator - which allows you to put in an address and select the beer you're looking for, and they'll tell you the closest available location. The best part is their distance choices - within biking distance (5 miles), within public transit distance (10 miles), within marathon distance, etc. It just makes me smile!

Owlie
12-28-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm starting to think Ohio is some kind of bizarre island, and all of the good stuff just drifts on by. (This goes for beer and bikes. I had a conversation to this effect with the LBS guy about the lack of event rides/MTBing/cyclocross here.) :confused:

Maybe I should move. It's going to look a little weird if I get stopped with a carload of beer and a CX bike...

VeganBikeChick
12-28-2011, 10:30 PM
New Belgium has brought Fat Tire to the east coast. I'm one very happy girl!

Now if only Pennsylvania would bring Yuengling to the west coast. I'd be ecstatic!

Owlie
01-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Now if only Pennsylvania would bring Yuengling to the west coast. I'd be ecstatic!

You might be waiting a while. It only just made it across the state line. :rolleyes:

Anelia
01-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Today the Armenians celebrate Christmas. My husband is Armenian and also half of my son :D
Merry Christmas!
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/394730_2436676597108_1257515807_31984737_1054870354_n.jpg
And the calendar is of a local brewery, part of Carlsberg Corporation. Shumensko (the name of the beer) is the most recognizable beer in Bulgaria.

Pax
01-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Anelia - that looks very tasty!