PDA

View Full Version : Is 7 weeks old too young for a kitten?

7rider
04-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Hey all.
So, DH and I are going to be taking in 2 kittens from a litter had by a stray that my BIL/SIL took in up in NY. Kitties were born March 5th. They want us to take our two Easter weekend (April 25th, specifically, on our drive back down from visiting family for the holiday).
We think 10 weeks is a better time to take them....BIL/SIL insist babies are eating solid kitty kibbles and are spending less and less time feeding off mom, and will be ready to go on the 25th.
What do you think? Who has experience weaning kitties and is 7 weeks okay? We'd take two, so they'd keep each other company.
I never had a cat before. My parents took in a stray - but that was after I left the house post-college. We had dogs growing up, and - of course - I've had bunnies since '92. It will be weird to have a carnivorous pet in the house! :eek:

zoom-zoom
04-15-2011, 07:57 AM
One our best kitties ever was 7 weeks old when we adopted him from a shelter. Generally 6-8 weeks is considered a safe age for a kitten to be weaned.

I think it's great that you are taking them as a pair. Kitties are very social (contrary to popular myth). We have 4 and they all keep one-another company. 2 of our boys wrestle and play a lot. They are very entertaining.

Biciclista
04-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Since you are taking 2, i think 7 weeks will be ok. the biggest problem with kittens taken before they are about 12 weeks old has to do with socialization. Taking two at a time solves that problem.They teach each other. congrats on your new babies.

ps they are adorable!!

indysteel
04-15-2011, 08:40 AM
I would be more concerned about taking them in at that age if you had other cats/pets. Unless and until they're able to get fully screened and vaccinated, there is always some chance I suppose that they may have something other cats could contract. This would be special concern since the mom was a stray. In saying that, however, I'd note that I am not a vet; anybody who is or knows more about communicable disease among cats can correct me if I'm wrong.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cat ownership. They're amazing animals and companions.

7rider
04-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks, all. I feel a little better about this schedule, then.

No pets in the house now. :( But perhaps a dog in the future. One of our first tasks is scheduling a vet visit. I'm not sure what vaccines momma cat has gotten - if any - so a full range of tests/vaccines will be high on the agenda.

spokewench
04-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Enjoy your kitties! I think you'll be okay taking them at 7. THey are soooooo cute:D

7rider
04-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks.

Here's another one - there are 2 calico-y tabbies and 2 black ones. We'll take one of each. Here's the black one with big brother from another litter looking on.

indysteel
04-15-2011, 10:06 AM
They've so cute! Have fun with them!!!! DH and I have two ourselves, including one we adopted at about 9 weeks this past summer. She's the apple of our eye!

SheFly
04-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Adorable! I think you'll be ok, too. We adopted our 2 at 9 weeks last year also. Now they are spoiled ROTTEN :D

SheFly

makbike
04-15-2011, 02:14 PM
They are so cute!!!!!

7 weeks is a good age to bring them home. They should be weaned by now and need to be socialized. Take them home and enjoy them.

I would suggest that you have both kittens tested for FIV/FELV first. If the test comes back negative for both by all means start their vaccinations. I would also suggest you take in a "fresh" stool sample and have it sent off to rule out nasty intestinal parasites.

Enjoy your new additions. May you guys have many, many wonderful years together.

westtexas
04-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Congrats on the kitties! I adore them.

7 weeks is a great time to take them home, especially since you are getting them as a pair.

I also second getting them tested for FIV/FeLV. This doesn't have to be done when you take them to the vet for their first shots (usually given at 8-12-16 weeks). Although you are not bringing them into a house with other cats (and thus having risk of disease transmission from them to your existing cats or your existing cats to them), it's a good thing to know overall should things go awry down the line. FeLV tests can actually show up negative for the first 6 months of life due to the presence of maternal antibodies and if you get them tested too early you may think you have a negative cat when you don't.

Some common things you might see with guys this age is the development of a runny nose or runny eyes and these should be addressed by a veterinarian right away as they are a sign of a secondary bacterial infection in response to several viruses that tend to affect young, unvaccinated kittens. With supportive care and antibiotics, they do great.

You can also discuss spaying and neutering with your vet when you bring them home. We routinely perform these procedures on kitties as young as 6 weeks, and research shows no benefit to waiting and no detriment to doing it that early.

Lastly, the only other thing I can suggest is make sure you kitten-proof your home! They will try to eat anything and everything and I always suggest that until they have matured, it's best to put them in a safe, enclosed room (or even a dog crate/kennel) while you are away to keep them from ingesting things they shouldn't.

Congrats!! and good luck :)

Biciclista
04-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Congrats on the kitties! I adore them.

7 weeks is a great time to take them home, especially since you are getting them as a pair.

You can also discuss spaying and neutering with your vet when you bring them home. We routinely perform these procedures on kitties as young as 6 weeks, and research shows no benefit to waiting and no detriment to doing it that early.

Congrats!! and good luck :)

I hope the mom gets neutered soon too!

Kittens actually recover faster from their surgery than adult cats!

Cataboo
04-15-2011, 04:30 PM
I first read that wondering when 7rider had a 7 week old baby and why she wanted to get that baby a kitty.

7rider
04-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Getting spayed/neutered is definitely in the cards for these guys. I had no idea they could be fixed so young! Momma Cat and her son have an appt with the vet, too. She's had her last litter.

DH and I are really steeling ourselves for a huge initial outlay of vet bills to have these little punkins tested and treated and off on a strong foot, health-wise. :p

indysteel
04-15-2011, 04:57 PM
+1 on kitten proofing. You have to take a critical eye toward nearly everything in your home. Plus, it's an on going process as they become stronger jumpers. When they're little, they can't jump on anything too high. As they grow, they're able to jump up on just about anything. So, everything we thought was safe on a high dresser or shelf is not at risk! It's funny, too, what they get fixated on. Right now, our kitten is obsessed with our bathroom sink. The minute you head for the bathroom or she hears the water running, she's there in a flash. It's hard to brush our teeth!

7rider
04-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Wow. Hadn't thought about kitten proofing. Our bunnies were in one room and we only bunny-proofed when we let them out to run around with us in the den.

When my first bunny had free run of my old place, it was like having a perpetual toddler in the house. I was always 2 steps behind, undoing the damage and trying to anticipate where the cyclone would strike next! Looks like we'll be heading back into that territory, huh? Fun!

7rider
05-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Ho, boy.

Kitt-ems had their first vet visit today and it was a doozy. :eek::eek:

Both got first distemper shot and we put them on their "Kitten program" - with a full range of visits and shots at a discounted rate (not including additional meds, if needed, and spay/neuter, which will come later).

Paris had tapeworms (ewwww...) and both got some gel goo slabbed on their neck for it. No active flea infestations so he likely ate one at some point but isn't carrying them around (thankful for small favors).

Both show FIV positive - but vet thinks it MAY be maternal antibodies and suggests re-testing at 6 mos and 12 mos.

Zoe came back slightly positive (as it, the dot was really light, but vet had to call it a positive) for FeLV.

Very, very bummed that these guys did not get a clean bill of health from the get-go. SIL is very upset at the news from the vet. But that means they're in for it with the remaining two that are still at their house.

Any advice or recommendations?? (looks like they will be our only cats, and strictly indoor cats, now!)

Biciclista
05-02-2011, 08:59 AM
like the vet said, maternal antibodies... retesting... if they're healthy indoor cats, so what?
healthy being the operative word.
I have never heard of gel for tapeworm, that's great!
photos please?

7rider
05-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Well, that's kind of what DH and I figure - we'll care for them as best we can, love 'em, give 'em a good home - with lots of lap time, good food, good water, exercise, and good vet care - and hope for the best.

Here are some pix....all, strangely, of them sleeping. :cool:

indysteel
05-02-2011, 09:16 AM
They are so adorable. I just love kittens!

As for their positive tests: I really wouldn't be surprised if they tested negative later, as they are still young enough--as the vet as suggested--that the tests may just be picking up their mother's antibodies. That said, has the mother herself ever been tested? If the kittens picked up something from her in utero then, presumably, she will test positive for either or both disease. I would assume that her test will be conclusive.

bmccasland
05-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Right now, our kitten is obsessed with our bathroom sink. The minute you head for the bathroom or she hears the water running, she's there in a flash. It's hard to brush our teeth!

Not just kittens. My 4-yr old cat is also fixated on the bathroom. She wants to drink from the drippy faucet, not running mind you, dripping. Go to the toilet, think she's sleeping, and TA-DA! There she is on the sink trying to figure out how to make it go.

Hope your kittens get a clean bill of health on their next vet visit.

Biciclista
05-02-2011, 03:19 PM
a TORBIE!! awwwwwwwwww

Possegal
05-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I could always find one of our cats by the sheer act of walking into the bathroom - he'd come from anywhere to join me! :)

One of mine had an equivocal blood test when I got him, with follow-up negative. My sister had one that had a positive test and then follow-up was negative. If that helps at all.

And I too thought the thread title was bout a 7 week old getting their own kitty :p

I love these little guys and promise you they will bring you much enjoyment!!

makbike
05-02-2011, 05:36 PM
There is a new "dewormer" on the market that is applied like Frontline. It is a broad spectrum dewormer and works well.

Follow up with the retesting, until then please keep them inside and enjoy them. Did their mom test positive?

Enjoy your new additions. There is nothing like a kitten or two to brighten up a house and bring an endless supply of love into one's heart.

7rider
05-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Momma cat hasn't been tested. :(:mad::(

BIL/SIL are beside themselves, upset that babies have FIV/FeLV (maybe on both). I think they worry that they gave us "defective" cats...but we've tried to reassure them that they have a good indoor home, we have no other cats to worry about, and that we'll do what we can to keep them healthy and happy. Frankly, I think they're more upset than we are.

Momma cat is about 8 years old and the apparent picture of health. Her feral nature (hissing, particularly at SIL) makes their care thus far limited to food/shelter, and sending son off to be neutered (don't think he was tested before that appointment, but my DH doesn't always ask the big questions :rolleyes:). Momma cat has such a visit of her own, soon. I hope they test but given her history, I think we can pretty much figure out what the results would be. Meanwhile, the remaining two kittens will stay with SIL/BIL in NY and not be adopted out.

The vet gave us lysine to add to their food to keep up their immune system. They chowed it down in record time.

Re-tests are definitely in order.

BTW...I had to look up "Torbie" cuz I had no idea what that meant! :D

Biciclista
05-03-2011, 06:48 AM
her multicolored toes gave it away...

7rider
05-03-2011, 06:59 AM
her multicolored toes gave it away...

DH wanted to name her "Goldfinger" or "Gert (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002085/)" after the actor who played "Goldfinger" in that movie. I quickly nixed that idea! :p

smilingcat
06-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Even if it turns out that the kittens are FIV positive, they can have quality of life unlike people with AIDS. You just have to watch their health. The cats do need to be indoor to protect their health!

here is a link FIV cat care (http://www.bestfriends.org/theanimals/petcare/cats_fiv.cfm) and read item #3 and #8.

Hope this helps.

skywalkerbeth
08-17-2011, 01:56 AM
Any new photos?

7rider
08-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Any new photos?

I'll have to post some soon.

They are going in to be spayed/neutered tomorrow. Big day for them! :eek:
They are getting BIG...especially Paris. A rock solid big boy.

Like others have noted, Paris is really fond of the sink, loves to drink the running water and snorts the overflow hole (blech) - and is usually standing outside the tub when I've showered...ready to jump in and lick around the drain. :o:rolleyes: Yes...he has a ready supply of fresh water - we have one of those fountain bowls that constantly filters water and sends it down as a water stream so it's moving for them. He also dives for bags (my pannier, duffel bags, grocery bags, whatever) and shoes. Just can't get enough of rolling around in and on them.

SIL/BIL's kittens (my guys littermates) got spayed/neutered last week and they came back FIV negative. Yay!! We're hoping for similar news with our guys this week.

Biciclista
08-17-2011, 08:03 AM
great news! I want to see pictures too!

indysteel
08-17-2011, 09:14 AM
That's great! I've learned the hard with with my 13-year old male cat that cats are reluntant drinkers, so be sure to encourage their love of water. It will serve them well as they age. I'm glad you're having a great time with them!

7rider
08-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Well...
Kitt-ems are recuperating from their spay/neuter surgeries yesterday.
Paris, the drama queen that he is, has been sulking and sleeping much of the time. He finally started to eat this morning.
Zoe, on pain meds, is a spaz. You'd never know she had major surgery...perhaps because of the pain meds. The second I took her out of the pet taxi, coming home from the vet's, she made a bee-line to her food dish and started inhaling kibble. She's been a voracious eater ever since. She's been running around, playing with her binky (her toy fuzzy ball) such that we've actually had to calm her down and kept her contained all evening.
They've both been told to wear the "Cone of Shame (http://youtu.be/R58kSuIhURI)" but it's too small for Paris, so he licks where he's not supposed to anyway. And it's too big for Zoe (both cones are the same size, it's just their size differences), so she trips over it, and rolls around like she's having a seizure with it on. Plus, they growl at each other when wearing them, as they don't seem to recognize each other. So the cones are off when we can keep an eye on them.
Wish I had better pix of them. Soon!
Oh, and Paris came back FIV and FeLV negative. Zoe is FeLV negative, but still comes in as FIV positive. Paris got a vaccine shot....Zoe will have to wait to see if it's still antibodies and she clears it or if she will remain that way....

indysteel
08-19-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm glad they're healing up after their surgeries. They're awfully cute, even with the cones of shame!

Your post reminded me that we got our youngest cat a year ago today. Isabel (or Izzy B as we call her) has been a true joy. I can't believe how time flies. They're so much fun.

skywalkerbeth
10-17-2011, 04:31 PM
any new photos?

Biciclista
10-17-2011, 04:35 PM
:D:D:cool::cool::cool:
any new photos?

7rider
10-17-2011, 06:16 PM
any new photos?

As long as DH has his phone nearby, pix will be taken! :D

Here's Paris, defending the computer desk:
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z85/7rider/Cats/My-Desk.jpg

His favorite spot, on a lap:
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z85/7rider/Cats/Paris2.jpg

Ready for a trip (HA! He's such a chicken and would likely hide), in my Detours pannier:
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z85/7rider/Cats/Paris-in-Detoursbag.jpg

Zoe taking a break from bird watching on the back windowsill:
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z85/7rider/Cats/Zoe-on-sill2.jpg

And Zoe in her favorite spot - power napping on DH's lap.
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z85/7rider/Cats/Zoe-sleeping.jpg

Biciclista
10-17-2011, 06:19 PM
aw,, great photos, thanks. I got my kitty fix.

bmccasland
10-17-2011, 08:09 PM
awww, cute kitties. I have a fuzzy place in my heart for black kitties. :)

indysteel
10-18-2011, 05:20 AM
Awesome pictures! I can't believe how big they are now. It looks like they're doing really well.

7rider
10-18-2011, 05:55 AM
Awesome pictures! I can't believe how big they are now. It looks like they're doing really well.

Thanks! They are getting BIG! At only 7.5 months old, Paris already tips the scale just over 10 pounds. :eek: He's long and lean and muscular. Zoe is in the 8-pound range.

Paris is a momma's boy. Gotta be with mom - on her lap is his favorite spot. And he's got a loud squeaky purr that will rumble throughout your body when he's sitting on your chest (like, in bed at 3 in the morning! :rolleyes:). He also has a very unusual (to us) mew. It rises up in inflection, like a question. He's most talkative in the litter box (Thanks, Paris...we really needed to know that!) and, of course, at feeding time.

Zoe is daddy's girl. She hangs with him mostly. They both know the sound of the garage door opening now, and she'll come running down the stairs to the door, meowing non-stop at him, like she's just got sooooo much news to catch daddy up on since he went away to work in the morning. The Gossip Girl! ;)

They are quite a pair.

indysteel
10-18-2011, 06:27 AM
I just love kitty language. Of the various cats I've had, they've all sounded completely different. Different vocalizations, different purrs, different ways of "talking" to you. It's fascinating.

Munch
05-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Referring back to cats fascination with water, my cat does this also. Evie always wants in the bathroom. Something even stranger is whenever I blow dry my hair she comes running from wherever she is and sits and stares at me. I'll turn the dryer on her and she walks around my legs and will lay down while it's blowing on her. She's so funny. Then after I stop, she meows like, "hey, what do you think you're doing? I'm not done!" Cracks me up everytime!

lovelygamer
05-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Look at those precious kitties. :) My calico came from the shelter at six weeks old. She was sooo teeny. Yours have turned out just awesome! They are so handsome.