PDA

View Full Version : cycle clothing??

audreytatou
03-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi guys:) what a fantastic forum. I'm new to riding. Been really getting into it and riding maybe 40k's evry other day...problem is I cant , at this time:(, afford any propper cycle clothing...I think some propper tights and tops would make a real difference?? so...if anyone is geting rid of ny gear could they let me know?? Iam med/large in tights and prob XL in tops...I'd be so grateful and happy to pay postage to Australia...anyway, I'm new on here and look forward to geting to know you all
cheers:D

Kiwi Stoker
03-30-2011, 01:01 AM
Hi Audrey,
Just thought I would drop you a line re get cheap cycling kit in Oz. If you are able to afford postage from stuff around the world (and I just paid $S34 to post a 1kg box from Singapore to New Zealand), I am sure you will able able to afford new stuff!

BTW the really only three things you need to buy that are cycle specific are-

Gloves- these can be cheap, so buy new
Shorts
Cycle shoes (if you are going clipless)

There is nothing to say that wicking t-shirts, running tops etc are any worse than cycle tops- cycle tops just have big pockets on the back, so it you can do without, don't worry.

Places to look-

Rebel Sports- they carry Netti cycle gear and their stuff is pretty good. Look out for sales on old season stock.
Local bike shops- they should have a clearance rack. Hey don't limit yourself to women's stuff, men's gear is absoltely fine for starting out with!
Aussie cycling clothing companies websites- Oz has a few cycle clothing companies- Netti, Cannibal, Scoody and don't forget NZ sites Ground Effect and NZone gear. They often has sale areas for old season's stock.
K-Mart- for wicking sports gear
Your local bike club- they might have swap meets or you can post a message for members.
E-Bay, Trade me or other second hand selling websites. I have sold cycle shirts for $10 on Trademe and people collected them, so VERY cheap!
Sunglasses- go to your local safety equipment store eg. Protector Alsafe and buy safety glasses. Often they are tinted, mirrored and look like sunglasses. Most importantly they are designed to take impacts like stones from a road or dropping them without shattering. Anyway saftey glasses are cheap from $6-$50. Bolle even do a safety eyewear, so you can still be cool, not like a lab rat.
Anyway I hope this helps get you on your bike!

audreytatou
03-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Hi Audrey,
Just thought I would drop you a line re get cheap cycling kit in Oz. If you are able to afford postage from stuff around the world (and I just paid $S34 to post a 1kg box from Singapore to New Zealand), I am sure you will able able to afford new stuff!

BTW the really only three things you need to buy that are cycle specific are-

Gloves- these can be cheap, so buy new
Shorts
Cycle shoes (if you are going clipless)

There is nothing to say that wicking t-shirts, running tops etc are any worse than cycle tops- cycle tops just have big pockets on the back, so it you can do without, don't worry.

Places to look-

Rebel Sports- they carry Netti cycle gear and their stuff is pretty good. Look out for sales on old season stock.
Local bike shops- they should have a clearance rack. Hey don't limit yourself to women's stuff, men's gear is absoltely fine for starting out with!
Aussie cycling clothing companies websites- Oz has a few cycle clothing companies- Netti, Cannibal, Scoody and don't forget NZ sites Ground Effect and NZone gear. They often has sale areas for old season's stock.
K-Mart- for wicking sports gear
Your local bike club- they might have swap meets or you can post a message for members.
E-Bay, Trade me or other second hand selling websites. I have sold cycle shirts for $10 on Trademe and people collected them, so VERY cheap!
Sunglasses- go to your local safety equipment store eg. Protector Alsafe and buy safety glasses. Often they are tinted, mirrored and look like sunglasses. Most importantly they are designed to take impacts like stones from a road or dropping them without shattering. Anyway saftey glasses are cheap from $6-$50. Bolle even do a safety eyewear, so you can still be cool, not like a lab rat.
Anyway I hope this helps get you on your bike!

thanx Kiwi:) that info is superb and will really help...yeh gloves will be great as my hands really ache by the end of the ride. cheers

audreytatou
03-30-2011, 01:50 PM
And a helmet:)

But don't get a used one. You can't always tell by looking if its safety has been compromised.

yup, i am using an old one at the mo....nice color but...looks like half a bucket on my head, you have to wear one over here but I long for a nice one lol...one day soon:)

crazycanuck
04-01-2011, 04:05 AM
You can also give the for sale section on the BNA forum a shot...http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewforum.php?f=25