PDA

View Full Version : Frame Lust

Catrin
03-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Here is the full frame - a wrench at the shop offered to help me get a photo in the sunlight :) The second picture, while partial, comes closer to capturing the color. These were taken with my iPhone, not the best camera but it works!

Ms. Rambler is getting built this week, and comes home in 18 days, barring unforeseen circumstances.

Tri Girl
03-25-2011, 04:46 PM
It's PURR-TY!!!! And it's so tiny, too! ;)

Catrin
03-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Top tube = 500, I need a very upright position and my high handlebars have to be closer to me than the norm - all of this is why I needed true custom. Gunnar/Waterford put some decals on the bike I wasn't expecting, but it is fun :) When I bring her home and I've something other than my iPhone handy with which to take to pics I will show them here :)

Tri Girl
03-25-2011, 04:59 PM
can't wait to see more detailed pics! Take some against a white background so we can see that true beautiful deep purple- it looks just stunning!!!!

Kerry1976
03-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Absolutely beautiful. I bet you can't wait to get this one finished and home so you can ride!

Catrin
03-25-2011, 05:03 PM
More pictures will have to wait until she comes home - she is back in her box at the LBS for now. Better background and a better camera are sorely needed :)

Tri Girl
03-25-2011, 05:04 PM
is it just killing you that she's *right there* and yet still so far away????;)

It would me!!

Catrin
03-25-2011, 05:08 PM
OH MY YES! I just need $XXX.XX amount to bring her home - and that will happen in 18 days, just 2.5 weeks or so....

The wintery like weather does help... a little. Thankfully I DO have another bike to ride but still...

Tri Girl
03-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Oand that will happen in 18 days, just 2.5 weeks or so....

Not that you're counting or anything... ;)

tulip
03-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Ooooooooh! Aaaaaaaaaah!

Muirenn
03-25-2011, 05:19 PM
It's so little!

But beautiful:)

Catrin
03-25-2011, 05:54 PM
I remember when I brought the LHT home, it seemed so....tiny! Certainly when compared with the Trek 7.6 FX WSD. I remember posting a picture of it here and several women thought it was too short for me - but it turned out just right. It will be interesting to see how differently the Gunnar will look with all of her parts - right now she is neekid ;)

WindingRoad
03-25-2011, 06:05 PM
That picture made me chuckle, that's at Nebo Ridge I recognize the office buildings next to it where everyone parks for the Thursday night rides. That is a cute lil frame! :D:D:D

OakLeaf
03-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Oh. My.

Catrin
03-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Yep, you are right Winding Road :)

Ya know, I just noticed that the TT slopes - but in a different direction than I expected to see. Interesting - but then again I have very specific fit needs. This is based on their Crosshairs frame, though it isn't a cross bike - the fork is their custom road fork.

I still have heart palpitations when I think about the cost of this bike, but I think we are going to have plenty of happy miles with each other :cool: :D

Duh - of COURSE the frame slopes differently than expected - she isn't yet mounted on fork and wheels...silly me! She won't have much of a slope, but more than my LHT!

Trek-chick
03-26-2011, 02:54 AM
That color is beautiful!!!! How nice to have a custom bike built just for you.... A true one of a kind:). One day I hope to have the money for a custom bike. Can not wait to see her all together a hear the first ride report.

Bike Chick
03-26-2011, 03:48 AM
How exciting, Catrin! I can't wait to see it completely built and I know you can't either. Looks like you will be riding it for the Harmonie Hundred!

Catrin
03-26-2011, 03:59 AM
How exciting, Catrin! I can't wait to see it completely built and I know you can't either. Looks like you will be riding it for the Harmonie Hundred!

I really hope I can make that - but I won't know until the last minute if I will be able to swing the trip. Have you decided which day you are going?

sundial
03-26-2011, 09:03 AM
It's like Christmas in April. It will be here just in time for the nice temps of the spring season. Do you have a name for the bike?

Catrin
03-26-2011, 09:08 AM
It's like Christmas in April. It will be here just in time for the nice temps of the spring season. Do you have a name for the bike?

Her name is in my signature: "Ms. Rambler" I figured since I have actually seen the frame, and know the parts are in, that I could go ahead and add her to my signature :)

indysteel
03-28-2011, 05:20 AM
I can't wait to see her in person, Catrin. As pretty as the frame looks in those pictures, my guess is that they're not doing it justice. I bet it just sparkles in sunlight!

Catrin
03-28-2011, 06:00 AM
I can't wait to see her in person, Catrin. As pretty as the frame looks in those pictures, my guess is that they're not doing it justice. I bet it just sparkles in sunlight!

She was still neekid when I last saw her, but she should have at least some of her parts installed when I go Friday to make a payment. There is a small chance that she might be ready by then....if so then I could take a spin around the parking lot... squeeeeeeeeeeee :D

hebe
03-28-2011, 06:11 AM
I can't wait to see more pictures, I bet Ms Rambler will look delectable in the sunshine! I would find it so hard to ride a new bike around the carpark and then give it back! Hopefully you'll have some more photos to put on the wall until she comes home.

Catrin
04-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Waterford forgot to put Framesaver inside the frame, so my LBS did that yesterday. Today the head wrench started building her, and, depending on what else happened at the shop today, she may have all of her parts on by now! I still can't take her home for two more weeks, but still!

Tomorrow I will go get another picture and, hopefully, take her around the parking lot :D

Roadtrip
04-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Hum, I'd be torn.. If I couldn't bring her home.. Would/could I go for a simple visit?? Your stronger then I!!

Does this mean we can ride togeher here in a few weeks??

Shannon

Catrin
04-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Hum, I'd be torn.. If I couldn't bring her home.. Would/could I go for a simple visit?? Your stronger then I!!

Does this mean we can ride together here in a few weeks??

Shannon

It is hard....but I have paid enough to have visitation rights :cool: :D I also would like, if possible, to take it for a spin in the parking lot so I can figure out the X0 twist shifters - am trying to decide if I will drive my new bike home on the 15th or RIDE it home :)

It depends on my knee when we can ride - riding actually makes my knee better/feel good, but DRIVING causes stress on my kneecap and gets it at the wrong angle. Things are improving though, and I think by sometime in May we will be able to hit the Little Miami trail :)

Catrin
04-01-2011, 05:56 PM
I forgot to mention an interesting conversation with my fitter today regarding my Gunnar. It is based on a cyclocross frame, and he told me that I can do light mountain biking with it! He said it would be perfect for the purpose and allow me a chance to try it out if I don't want/can't get a mountain bike for a time. We aren't talking rock gardens or drops or anything like that, but it can handle very beginner trails, limestone, and easy dirt.

For some reason I didn't consider this...

emily_in_nc
04-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I forgot to mention an interesting conversation with my fitter today regarding my Gunnar. It is based on a cyclocross frame, and he told me that I can do light mountain biking with it! He said it would be perfect for the purpose and allow me a chance to try it out if I don't want/can't get a mountain bike for a time. We aren't talking rock gardens or drops or anything like that, but it can handle very beginner trails, limestone, and easy dirt.

For some reason I didn't consider this...

Sure! I see a lot of guys (never women, for some reason) riding cross bikes on the fire roads and non-technical unpaved trails at a nearby park I used to mountain bike at all the time. Obviously some tires would be more up to that kind of riding than others, but it's certainly possible.

Catrin
04-01-2011, 06:40 PM
My fitter said today that the custom design makes my bike, basically, a "Swiss Army Knife" of bikes :D

Considering I won't be able to actually GET a new hard tail for some time if the mountain bike clinic goes well, it is nice to know that it can handle easy, non-technical stuff if I want to pursue it after the clinic. It is good information to have - and the wheels ARE mountain bike wheels...

Catrin
04-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Arrrrrrrrg.... LBS discovered a snafu with the fork for my Gunnar yesterday :eek: Apparently Waterford/Gunner staff, when they built the fork, messed up and put the braze-on for the front brake in the location for 700c wheels, not 26 inch. So the fork has to return to the factory and they will either fix it or send a new one.

I also just paid it off today, so I COULD have brought it home...but this is obviously something that can't be ignored. It shouldn't take too long, but it will SEEM longer since I've paid it off :rolleyes:

indysteel
04-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Argh! The anticipation must be killing you! Heck, it's killing me! I hope they get the fork fixed quickly!

emily_in_nc
04-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Yes, it almost sounds like the home-building process, which I've been through three times before in my adult life and am now going through a 4th time! Everything takes longer than you expect and were told, and mistakes crop up all the time. However, it is all worth it in the end...most of the time.

Wishing you the patience of a saint! ;)

Catrin
04-04-2011, 08:04 AM
I heard from my fitter (who also also the general manager of the LBS), he thinks that it will, hopefully, be ready by my original April 15 date... Well, life happens, and I kind of do need front brakes :cool: Going to be a loooong two weeks ;) They are currently waiting for the shipping voucher from Waterford so they can return the fork.

I have no complaints about this entire process, it just takes time. There are so many places where problems can develop that I am thankful it wasn't something larger - though the final test will come when I finally get to RIDE her :D

Catrin
04-11-2011, 05:03 PM
It won't be ready by Friday, the fork doesn't get painted until tomorrow at Waterford, then they have to ship it to my LBS - and THEN they have to have time to build it properly.....

Arrrrrrrgh, this is torture!

It may not be ready on Friday, but it should be ready next week sometime :)

Roadtrip
04-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Awwwww... Hopefully it'll be here soon and you can forget about this little hickup.

Shannon

Catrin
04-11-2011, 06:41 PM
And they ordered the wrong handlebars...but really I can't blame them for that. We started with Shimano XT shifters and wound up with SRAM XO twist shifters (and SRAM X7/9 drive-train). My fitter couldn't reach me today so we can't settle on the replacement before Thursday... hopefully they have something in stock that will work.

That is ok though, regardless of these little hitches, they do great work at my LBS and I don't want them to rush the assembly - as badly as I want this bike. It will be worth the wait.

I just want my beautiful new bike....whimper

Catrin
04-14-2011, 08:08 AM
My fork should be delivered Monday, and LBS staff is planning to re-start building process as soon as it hits the door :)

Yippeeeee!

ahem, back to your regularly scheduled threads :)

hebe
04-14-2011, 08:40 AM
You're being very patient! I'm sure your patience will be rewarded very soon, and then we can all see some photos!

Catrin
04-14-2011, 08:44 AM
You're being very patient! I'm sure your patience will be rewarded very soon, and then we can all see some photos!

Impatience wouldn't help... You will certainly be seeing some photos, no doubt about that - everyone has been so patient with me on this bike :D

I will likely just spring the mountain bike photos on everyone out of the blue when the time comes :rolleyes:

Tri Girl
04-14-2011, 11:58 AM
I can't wait for you to get your bike. How is it possible that I'M getting excited about YOUR new bike?? :p

Catrin
04-14-2011, 12:43 PM
New bike excitement is contagious!

:)

Roadtrip
04-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Is she there yet?!?!?!?!

Is she there yet?!?!?!?!

Is she there yet?!?!?!?!

Is she there yet?!?!?!?!

Is she there yet?!?!?!?!

Is she there yet?!?!?!?!

Is she there yet?!?!?!?!

Aggie_Ama
04-14-2011, 03:17 PM
I am in the same boat! My bike is in but it is being assembled at the other location so I don't know when it will be ready for sure. I anticipate tomorrow but not sure. I am being impatient though! :o

Catrin
04-14-2011, 04:52 PM
I am "being patient" by planning my mountain bike purchase :D Have been playing around with my LHT off-pavement a little and found that my hands are just fine with that - which was one of my main concerns. Skills can be learned, but if the vibration causes pain in my hands then that is a problem. Where I was riding was quite bumpy :) I know there is a lot more involved, but I think it will be fine as long as it is the right bike, I take my time, and don't expect to graduate from the bunny trails this year. I have a LOT to learn ;)

The test of my patience won't come until they actually receive my fork Monday - then we will just see how patient Catherine actually IS (not). I am told the two head mechanics have been told to start working on it as soon as it hits the door so, assuming there are no other glitches, it shouldn't be long now :D :D :D

Aggie_Ama
04-14-2011, 05:37 PM
I was distracting myself waiting for it to come in looking for the perfect grips, seat collar, building wheels and looking at bottle cages. But now that I know it is in town I can't distract myself!

If you can find a good person(s) you click with to teach you mountain biking it can make a world of difference. I love my DH but we don't see the trail the same way, I was insanely frustrated. Then I found a group called Ride Like a Girl, learned a lot and now I have two good friends I really can relate to how they explain things.

Catrin
04-14-2011, 06:16 PM
I would like to find something like that, but the women's clinic will be a good start. So far I've only ridden on pavement and grass, with a very short gravel ride when I volunteered at the Death March - but I didn't crash on the gravel :D

I haven't learned how to stand on the bike yet but I understand that is one of the things they will help me with :) I've decided that I will be much more confident if I go with a bike that I KNOW fits me, and one that I've had some time riding at least a few miles on - even if just on pavement and grass :cool:

Grog
04-16-2011, 02:53 PM
I am so excited for you, the colour is gorgeous and I'm sure you'll love the custom fit! Your patience will pay off.

Catrin
04-19-2011, 03:20 AM
FORK CAME IN YESTERDAY :D

They will re-start Gunnar building process today....AND my Jamis is scheduled for delivery to the same LBS today :cool: :D

Anticipation, be still my heart....and then all I see in the forecast is rain and wind.....meeep

Looks Wed and Thursday are rideable, if only in the 50s, but I doubt that I will be able to bring either bike home until at least Thursday or Friday...

Trek-chick
04-19-2011, 05:04 AM
How exciting for you...Now, the question is which one do you ride first?:D I can not wait to see photos of both (please don't make us wait too long;)

Catrin
04-19-2011, 05:19 AM
How exciting for you...Now, the question is which one do you ride first?:D I can not wait to see photos of both (please don't make us wait too long;)

THAT will be a hard decision! I suspect, however, that technically speaking, they will both be ridden at the store so my fitter can look at me on them :)

As far as my first real ride - probably the Gunnar. Or maybe the Jamis. Maybe the Gunnar - decisions decisions!

I will find someone to take pictures of me and my new babies, but will get pictures of some kind here as soon as I can. I am assuming/hoping that at least one of them will get to come home Thursday.... meeep

Now I HAVE to get some kind of work done so I can fund all of this bike support :)

Catrin
04-19-2011, 03:03 PM
I SAW my Gunnar, and my Jamis a couple of hours ago. It looks like it will be a good chance that I will bring them both home Thursday :cool: :D

Both bikes look awesome - and the Jamis looks even better in person than in the photo! I will certainly get pictures of both bikes as soon as I can. It was hard to leave the store without one of them... I had stopped by to pick up a new helmet and some accessories I needed for the two new bikes. Figured I didn't want to bring everything home all at once - AND I had hoped for a sneak peak if the truth was known ;)

Muirenn
04-19-2011, 03:22 PM
It was there and you left it?

OMG! Don't think I could have done that :eek: !

Catrin
04-19-2011, 04:14 PM
It was there and you left it?

OMG! Don't think I could have done that :eek: !

I left BOTH of them! Neither were completly dressed, but very, very close to it :)

Miranda
04-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Freakin'... SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!! :cool:

KnottedYet
04-19-2011, 05:53 PM
HoooRAAAAAAAY!!!

I'm living the new bike thrill vicariously through you! :D

hebe
04-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Exciting! I wouldn't have slept after that :D

Catrin
04-21-2011, 03:08 PM
The following photos require no introduction :) Gotta run, more later!

Tri Girl
04-21-2011, 03:31 PM
WOO HOO!!!!!! SO gorgeous- both of them!! Congrats!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

laura*
04-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Gotta run, more later!

Don't you mean "Gotta roll"? ;)

It took a moment to register that you're showing two (2!) bikes.

Your Gunnar looks a lot like a rigid mountain bike. I thought your intent was something more like a (flat bar) road bike. (Nothing wrong with using a MTB like bike for on-road riding - circumstances have pushed me to the same answer.)

Kerry1976
04-21-2011, 03:44 PM
So beautiful! I especially love that deep dark plum - purple is my favorite color. Absolutely gorgeous.

zoom-zoom
04-21-2011, 03:49 PM
*fans self* Is it hot in here...? :D Those are gorgeous!

goride
04-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Oh, so lovely. And you look soooo happy. Congratulations.

Catrin
04-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Don't you mean "Gotta roll"? ;)

It took a moment to register that you're showing two (2!) bikes.

Your Gunnar looks a lot like a rigid mountain bike. I thought your intent was something more like a (flat bar) road bike. (Nothing wrong with using a MTB like bike for on-road riding - circumstances have pushed me to the same answer.)

Actually I had somewhere to go and couldn't ride on the clearest evening of the week after bring home TWO lovely bikes :( However there will be plenty of other chances, hopefully tomorrow :D

The Gunnar is actually based on the Crosshair, it is a cyclocross frame with a custom road fork. We were going to base it on the Sport, but with certain fitting needs and desires, Waterford recommended we base it on the Crosshair and this is the result. An entire 24 pounds, and even with those wider tires she feels sprightly! She is meant to be my 'go-faster' bike, and I think she will serve just fine. Especially when I eventually get thinner tires for her :)

Ms. Plum sports a fine set of SRAM X0 twist shifters that is just sweet! Shifts easy, but solid at the same time.

The Jamis, who is being shy about revealing his or her name, has a SRAM 10-speed drivetrain and triggers - and she shifts quite nicely as well! I was concerned that all thumb shifting might be a problem with my hands as they are, but they have it set up so well that little pressure is required to shift. This is great since SRAM does not make grips for 10-speed...I had not actually known that before today.

Poor Ms. Explorer, I fear the LHT isn't going to go outside and play as often this summer as she is accustomed to... will have to make certain she doesn't feel neglected :)

indysteel
04-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Actually I had somewhere to go and couldn't ride on the clearest evening of the week after bring home TWO lovely bikes :( However there will be plenty of other chances, hopefully tomorrow :D

The Gunnar is actually based on the Crosshair, it is a cyclocross frame with a custom road fork. We were going to base it on the Sport, but with certain fitting needs and desires, Waterford recommended we base it on the Crosshair and this is the result. An entire 24 pounds, and even with those wider tires she feels sprightly! She is meant to be my 'go-faster' bike, and I think she will serve just fine. Especially when I eventually get thinner tires for her :)

Ms. Plum sports a fine set of SRAM X0 twist shifters that is just sweet! Shifts easy, but solid at the same time. The 9-speed cassette actually goes lower than the stock 10-speed cassette on my Jamis :eek: THAT is changing :)

The Jamis, who is being shy about revealing his or her name, has a SRAM 10-speed drivetrain and triggers - and she shifts quite nicely as well! I was concerned that all thumb shifting might be a problem with my hands as they are, but they have it set up so well that little pressure is required to shift.

Poor Ms. Explorer, I fear the LHT isn't going to go outside and play as often this summer... will have to make certain she doesn't feel neglected :)

Sweet!!! Congrats on your new babies! They've found a good home.

Roadtrip
04-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Woaaaa.. Nice!! You finally brought home your babies.. And it wasn't raining!!!

eofelis
04-21-2011, 07:38 PM
You have quite a stable of bikes there!

Your trio of bikes parallels some of mine somewhat: I have a Gunnar (Sport) road bike, an LHT and a Jamis (Dragon) mtn bike; plus my Spec Ruby and the Randonee.

laura*
04-21-2011, 10:57 PM
However there will be plenty of other chances, hopefully tomorrow :D

If you don't have time to post for the next few days, we'll know what you're doing!

The Gunnar is actually based on the Crosshair, it is a cyclocross frame with a custom road fork. We were going to base it on the Sport, but with certain fitting needs and desires, Waterford recommended we base it on the Crosshair and this is the result. An entire 24 pounds, and even with those wider tires she feels sprightly! She is meant to be my 'go-faster' bike, and I think she will serve just fine.

A while back, I rescued (with permission) one of these from a dumpster:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1988/pages/bridgestone-1988-07.htm

The similarities with Ms Plum are striking: A similar beautiful delicately curving fork. A rear wheel brought close to the seat tube, but not too close. An upwards angling stem. Even the moderately knobby gumwall 26 inch tires. And of course non-oversize steel tubing.

As was customary back in 1988, the Bridgestone has a horizontal top tube and a looong stem. At the time, it very much met the definition of mountain bike. Sadly today one has to go custom to get something similar. I'm slowly restoring the Bridgestone. It'll be a hang_e_r queen 'cause it is a size too small for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of Ms Plum - and of how well your design goals were met. :D

Trek-chick
04-22-2011, 02:25 AM
The bikes are beautiful but, I am sure they look even better in person.

Crankin
04-22-2011, 02:52 AM
Congratulations, Catrin!
Now you have more bikes than me!

Catrin
04-22-2011, 04:31 AM
Laura - I see why you said it looks like a rigid mountain bike! I couldn't go with their stock Sport OR Cross frame due to my need for standover and short reach + very upright position. I was told it would handle light mountain biking - now I know why :) There were just too many considerations to make a version of their Roadie to work.

ASammy1
04-22-2011, 05:16 AM
Yay Catrin! I'm so happy for you. I feel like you've been going thru this process for so long now and have such wonderful results to show for it. I just adore that purple :D

kmehrzad
04-22-2011, 05:42 AM
The following photos require no introduction :) Gotta run, more later!

Nice bikes, the two of them. You look so happy ... that's the way we should all (and I'm sure we do) feel about our bikes and biking in general.

Enjoy, Catrin.

hebe
04-22-2011, 06:48 AM
I'm so happy for you Catrin, and your beautiful bicycles. That plum really is something special. Fingers crossed that you can get out on them both this weekend - do you get a 4 day weekend for Easter in the US too?

Catrin
04-22-2011, 06:54 AM
The weather is the problem, lots of rain forecast today but it looks like I can ride tomorrow. Got a short 9 miles in on the Gunner this morning to just get a better feel for her. She is even more comfy than the LHT, but might actually be a little slower - but the jury is still out on that. I wasn't trying to hammer it, just to spin around a hilly park and get a feel for the X0 grip shifters - which I just LOVE! If she really IS slower, then that will change with skinnier tires. Our next ride I will really put her to the test ;)

Good Friday isn't a common holiday in the US, we just happen to get it off where I work :) If it rains all weekend and it looks rideable Monday, well, I just might develop a strong case of the dreaded "bikeitis"... They have rain forecast until next Thursday though, but I sure hope they are wrong!

Kerry1976
04-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Speaking of frame lust....

Have been reading the Lovely Bicycle Blog (thanks to a posting about it here in another thread) and my eye keeps being drawn to the Bella Ciao bikes. Would love to study one up close and give it a whirl.

Lovely Bicycle Review of Bella Ciao (http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2010/10/raven-flies-through-city-bella-ciao.html)
Bella Ciao Website (http://www.bellaciao.de/en/?page_id=159)