PDA

View Full Version : WORS XC Race

madisongrrl
10-11-2005, 11:21 AM
I always seem to be the bridesmaid and never the bride when it comes to racing XC...but that changed last Sunday. I'm pretty excited because I finally got my 1st overall victory!

http://www.wors.org/results/results.php?year=2005&race=12&type=o&cat=citizen

What a way to end the season. I can't wait to upgrade to sport class next year. I hope Sunday's race propels me into the off season. I always say I'm going to work hard through the winter months, but then I slack. Does anyone else have this problem? Finding motivation on the trainer is just so difficult.

CorsairMac
10-11-2005, 11:54 AM
and the fans go WILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee what a way to end your season! congrats hun on a job well done!

Adventure Girl
10-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Woooo Hooooo!!! Check you out!! You demolished the field. You beat second place by over 20 seconds! :p Congrats! Great job! Well done! Two thumbs up! Muy bien! Fanatastic! :D :p :) :D :p :)

annie
10-11-2005, 04:31 PM
awesome results, madisongrrl!! Congrats on your final race. Where was it?

As for motiviation during the off-months...... that's a hard one! I don't think it's a bad idea to give yourself a bit of a break after the season ends. Bike as much as you are able, but include cross-training, also. Give your body and mind a break from biking, especially since you don't really have a choice. :rolleyes:
There's great x-country skiing areas not too far from Madison. (Just hope for snow!) I know there are good bike clubs, tho' not sure what they offer during the off-season........... Maybe there are groups that have alternative activities during the winter. Worth checking into. Good luck!

annie

madisongrrl
10-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the congrats everyone.... The race was in Sheboygan, WI. If you ever get a chance and happen to be near WI, do a WORS race. It is the biggest XC series in the US and it is a blast. I can't wait to move up to sport class. There should be lots of great competition. I really would like to be able to train enough to move up to elite, but those chicks are ripped (and they train a lot also). So, I'll settle for Sport and see what happens. Do we have any Norba pros or elite racers on TE? Just wondering what their training regiment is...

As far as the off season, I will take a week or two off. I have to do some rehab on my left foot. But I saddle up on the trainer soon and try to hit the weights and the pool.

Happy off-season everyone,

traveller_62
10-12-2005, 03:25 PM
great job madisongrrl -- what a way to end a season! :D

traveller

mtbdarby
10-17-2005, 07:54 AM
Renee,
Great job girl! Way to end on a high note. What do you do for training in the winter months? What kind of trainer do you use? I have visions of enduro solo for next year, I just need to get a program developed for my goals and I'm not sure where to start.

I do head down to Madison occasionally. Maybe we could swamp some info and hook up next time I'm down there?

Dar

madisongrrl
10-18-2005, 08:14 AM
Renee,
Great job girl! Way to end on a high note. What do you do for training in the winter months? What kind of trainer do you use? I have visions of enduro solo for next year, I just need to get a program developed for my goals and I'm not sure where to start.

I do head down to Madison occasionally. Maybe we could swamp some info and hook up next time I'm down there?

Dar
Dar,

Getting 1st place is very exciting.....I'll savor it because it will probably never happen again!

I definitely have a plan for the winter months. I'd like to start eating better. I'm always on the run and grabbing fast food (which I don't even really like). So that has to stop. I want to make more time for meal planning and learn a few new recipes. Funny thing is my husband is a chef, so most people would think I eat like a Queen - wrong. He works long hours and the last thing he ever wants to do is cook when he gets home.

I plan on getting in the pool twice a week and lifting weights a few times a week. I'm going to do some pilates and use my stability ball to strengthen my core. I'll try to get on my trainer (CycleOps Magneto) 4x/week mostly to get base miles in. Though I want to do one intensity work out per week. I have the CTS Train Right mountain bike DVD and it's tough!

I basically want to come out of the gates next year like a raging bull! I turn 30 this winter and I just want to celebrate it with being more in shape that I've ever been (and hopefully a few WORS wins also). I was probably in better shape when I was 20 (thought I'm almost there again), but I certainly have more endurance now than when I was 20.

One thing I will have to work on is my technical riding - which stinks. My brother says I need to be braver. He is a person that will tackle something head on first time. I need to see someone do it, then size it up a few times before I try (though it could be I'm older and wiser...if I fall off my bike and hurt myself, it makes it very hard to do things like race, take my dog to the park and go to work....)

http://www.wors.org/news/article.php?id=68
Here is a link to the 2006 Wors race schedule. You should do Big Ring/nine mile with me! It's in your neck of the woods. In 2005 there were 60 citizen women racing so it was an the largest turnout for the whole series.
http://www.wors.org/results/results.php?year=2005&race=4&type=o&cat=citizen

You're going to do a solo enduro? That's hardcore! I might give one a try once I get a full suspension (this winter!).

Later,

mtbdarby
10-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Renee,
Sounds like an agressive schedule for the winter. I would like to drop 10 pounds this winter and start off lean for the spring. I could definitley meet up with you for the Big Ring Classic, but by the time the race is done I'm just getting warmed up :)

I started commuting to work this week to work on my "sprinting". It's 4 miles each way which is nothing, but it's usually so windy here in the afternoon that it gives me a mini workout. Yesterday it was into a 20 mph headwind!

I need to get a trainer for the winter, then I'm thinking I may have to start running along with my pilates and Power 90 workout. Lifting weights bulks me up too much, I'm trying to keep my muscles leaner. We'll have to keep touching base throughout the winter to keep tabs on our training - that would be good motivation for me!

Turning 30, huh? You pup. I'm 38 so I expect you would whoop my butt in a sprint. What do you for work in Madison? I hope hubby cooks for you sometime - there has to be some benefit to marrying a chef!

Dar

madisongrrl
10-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Dar-

I'm a research assistant and I work for a lab on Madison's eastside. I'm actually trying to get out of the lab science field and I'm studying to be an animal behaviorist specializing in canine behavior. My husband is a sous chef for the Concourse Hotel (Ovations). He is going to be a dueling chef at Madison's food and wine show in a few weeks. I'm so proud of him. I'm gonna miss the WORS banquet so I can watch him compete!

Check it out (scroll down to Jeff Bach)
http://www.madisonmagazine.com/article.php?section_id=918&xstate=view_story&story_id=208937

When I was younger I always thought 30 was so damn old and I was pretty convinced that I wouldn't see my 30th birthday. Now, I think 30 is young and I'm in my multisport endurance prime...so I'm going to make the most of it.

Later,

madisongrrl
10-18-2005, 11:23 AM
check this out....a little motivation

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2005/interviews/?id=shonny_vlandingham05

mtbdarby
10-19-2005, 07:08 AM
Cool article Renee. Good luck to Jeff on his competition - I stayed at the Concourse when I was in Madison. Small world, huh?

I used to work at Placon when I lived down there and one of my best friends is a chemist on the west side. I'll have to look you up next time I am down there!