PDA

View Full Version : ...Another triathlon report (relay team)

BikeMomma
10-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Ok, so Traveller's report guilted me into doing my own....

On Saturday, October 2nd, I participated in a triathlon relay, with a couple gals from work doing the swim (800m) and the run (6mi), and I did the bike leg (24mi). Here's the link to the results page Merced Gateway Triathlon (http://onyourmarkevents.com/) (Click on Results, then 2005, then click on the Merced Gateway Triathlon - Long Course link next to the date of 10/2/05) Scroll all the way down to where the relay team times are posted....we called ourselves "Tri Racin'" Ya see us? :D

I'm so proud of how our team did! Out of 8 total relay teams – men, women, and co-ed – we placed a respectable 5th. And, even better,….in the women’s only division, we placed 2nd, which at the same time was actually last in the Women's division because there were only two women's teams...but...uh...I like to look at the glass half full. :p :p Comparing our time to the first place team, though, we did excellent, since first went to an organized women’s triathlon club that does this all the time.

Individually, and these times are approximate since they didn't break it down by individual splits (our total time was 2:48:39), our swimmer (Jennifer) broke her own time by over a minute (whoa!!) to finish the 800m swim in just over 16 minutes....I did my 24 mile ride in just over 1:17....and our runner (Venus) did her 6 mile run in about 1:14. Amateurs, yes, but awesome amateurs, I say! We were only 3:04 off the 1st place team’s time (I'm wondering, however, if there's a typo somewhere, because a different time is posted elsewhere...I dunno).

For my own personal report for the bike leg, I was shooting for 1:15 (simply put, goals of 45min out against the headwind, then 30min back in with a tailwind). However, the headwind was a little stronger than I thought it would be, so my time out, although right on 45 min, was at a slower pace then I had planned (about 16.4 or so average), and so probably accounted for the extra two minutes on my total time. Coming back after the turn-around point, I did have the tailwind, but it was a little different than it usually is on this course. It almost had more of a crosswind to it than a true tailwind. Even so, I matched my target pace of 24/25/26mph all the way in, except for a gradual uphill stretch that I paced myself at 19-ish, and 30mph down the last hill (darned that crosswind...I usually can do 35mph down the same hill). My average speed in the end was 18.7mph. Ouch. I don't think it was bad at all for how little training I got in the two weeks before. That part I was bummed about.

Ok, back up...the course was an out-and-back ride, starting from the pool area on campus of the Junior College here in Merced, then we circled out the back exit of the college and out north towards the lil' town of Snelling. There is a hydroelectric power plant out there at about 12 miles out, and they turned us around just past it. The very funny CHP officers monitoring traffic there quipped "downhill all the way back" as I grinned at them on my turn-around...bah!! Yea, right! We had to go back up the hill we just came down. :eek: Not steep, though. :cool: The course brought us around through the same back exit to the college, around the student parking lots, and back up to the pool area where my runner was awaiting.

Ok, here's where I got a little p.o.'d...short (ok...it's long, really) explanation: right after the long course swimmers were done, they started the short course competitors -- not a big deal there. However, one of the races they started shortly after ours was the kiddie race....ummmm??.....as they didn't have a long swim, most of them were already on their bike when I was trying to come back in. Can ya see where I'm headed here? Needless to say, I had to weave my way around toddlers and kids on bikes (moms not watching them closely either...grrrrrr), as I'm trying to finish strongly. At one point, I had to actually cross the center divide, into oncoming bike and runner traffic, to avoid one little boy who was riding wwwaay too far from mom....oh my...that was fun. But, I couldn't dwell on it, because I had tight corners, safety cones, and speed bumps to negotiate around. Fun!

After I tagged off to my runner, I got to finally stop....77 lung-busting anaerobic minutes later....OMG....and the pain began. I swear, everything from my burning lungs to below the waist, especially the muscle that attaches from the butt to the quads (ok, so I’m not an anatomy major…)….HURT!! I could barely sit. It was all-out all the way, and I had blocked everything out except for the road and task ahead of me. So, when there was no more pedaling, the pain came. Owwie zowie!

Ahhhh...but it's all good. We had SO much fun! 10 minutes after Venus, our runner, came in (proud of her...she did it!!), we were already talking about a year from now. To quote another coworker, "That other team better watch out next year". :D :D :D

As always, speed rules!! :D
-BikeMomma

Adventure Girl
10-11-2005, 06:47 AM
After I tagged off to my runner, I got to finally stop....77 lung-busting anaerobic minutes later....OMG....and the pain began.Great report! It sounds like you had a great time. Racing really is different than riding. And that pain and exhaustion really is different than after a regular ride (even if it's a hard ride).

Being a non-swimmer, I've never considered doing a triathlon, but a relay sounds really interesting. It sounds like you and your team had great chemistry and support for each other.

bikerz
10-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Wow - and let me say it again - WOW! What a great report! That's an amazing ride - no wonder you hurt! The kiddie slalom at the end doesn't sound too fun! Thanks for the posting!

CorsairMac
10-11-2005, 11:41 AM
wooohooooooooooooo you ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! and congrats on the 2nd pl!! (just don't tell anyone there were only 2 womens teams, they'll never know! wink wink nod nod) Sounds like you had a blast and a wonderfun ride!!

traveller_62
10-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Way to go BikeMomma!!! And congrats as well to your teammates. Awesome job.

I can't imagine trying to finish strong on a bike leg AND having to weave through random packs of youngsters at the same time. Makes for a memorable race though :)

-traveller
(while sitting in Boston's Logan Airport -- my home away from home)

ps - hope the weather clears up for your trip to Maine this week and that you get in a great ride or two while you are here.