PDA

View Full Version : What to wear???

KTeach
04-12-2003, 05:49 PM
This may seem like a no brainer to experienced riders but I'm relatively new to biking and have a hard time figuring out what to wear under different weather conditions! I'm either too cold or overdressed. I've been doing short rides during the week and they're no problem. But when I do a 50-60 mile ride on the weekend I'm always confused about what to wear. I ride in the NYC area, in Spring it can be 35-40 degrees when I leave in the am and get up to the 60's after lunch... It's also shady in the city, windy on the GW Bridge, and then usually warmer when we get into suburbia... Thanks in advance for your input!

Veronica
04-12-2003, 05:59 PM
I wear a merino wool jersey unless it's in the seventies or above. I have wool arm warmers - old hiking socks with the toes cut out. The wool breathes better than most performance fabrics. Arm warmers allow me to adjust as conditioners change.

Veronica

goddess1222
04-12-2003, 07:30 PM
for me, it's all in layering(this i learned from a friend who lived in denver). i put on a long sleeve Dri-Fit, then my short sleeve jersey. if i get hot, i take the dri- fit off and wrap it around my handlebars. try to wear stuff that is light that you can peel off.

if it's really cold, i will wear my windproof jacket.

i think the idea of arm warmers is a great one.

pedalfaster
04-13-2003, 05:40 AM
Things I Can't Live Without for Spring Rides:

Arm Warmers
Knee Warmers
Defeet sleevless Un-d-shirt(under a regular jersey)
Wind Vest (the wind jackets with zip-off sleeves are great for colder weather).
Smart Wool socks.

If it's really nippy in the morning, I'll also add an earband, "magic gloves" (those .99 cent things you get at the discount store...just pull 'em on over your regular cycling gloves) and plastic baggies over the toes of my socks(inside the shoes...just toss them when it warms up).

MightyMitre
04-14-2003, 04:59 AM
I'm with goddess 1222 on the layering front. There's some fantastic kit out there now of modern materails which keep you warm and dry. I recently upgraded my undervest and couldn't believe the difference, I used to feel damp in my old one really quickly but in my new one I'm lovely and warm.

My favourite item had to be my wind proof sleeveless gillet or vest which I seem to wear nearly all year round.

In the winter I always have it over my winter jacket and in the summer, if it's a bit cool I'll wear it over just my jersey with shorts even if I do end up stuffing it in my back pocket.

I've also recently discovered the joy of armwarmers and I think these will be coming with me on quite a few rides this year, especailly when it starts off cool in the morning but gets hotter later on.

I must admit, I'm a bit of an over dresser myself, but I always figure you can take it off. One of my club mates on the other hand is a total nutter and doesn't really wear much different all year round. He always figures that if he's getting cold he'll just pedal faster!!

I think the knowing what to wear when, also comes with experience - I'll let you know when I'm there!