PDA

View Full Version : Bike Against the Odds - DONE!

bikerz
10-09-2005, 01:44 PM
I just got back from the BAO, a fundraising ride for the Breast Cancer Fund, here in my very own home town of Oakland, CA. Here is a quick report on my first organized ride -

First of all - it was great fun! I met up with Trek420 pretty darn early, and got my picture taken with the VeloGirls (Trek "recruited" me into the team so my donations would count for them. I'm sure they'll look at those photos later and wonder who the heck the stranger in red was!) I saw Ellen (TomGrrrl) jbefore starting off - she has a NICE new bike! Trek and I started out up Broadway together, got the bikes blessed on the way in front of the Episcopal church (kind of a drive-thru sprinkler!) - and after endless stop/starts all the way up Broadway, the climing began. I stopped off quickly and said a quick hello to CindySue at the LunaChix tent at the first rest stop, then just rode, rode, rode.

I was on my own pretty much the whole time, and it was beautiful weather. I had a blast on the descents (max 36+ mph! :eek: ) and just concentrated on spinning on the climbs. I finished off the 31 mile route at a fairly respectable 9.48 mph when all was said and done, which makes me happy, considering how much of the ride I did in my super-duper granny gear (2670 feet of climbing!), and the number of stoplights we had at the start/end. I also found out that it is possible (barely!) to stay vertical when going as slow as 2.9 mph! :p I bet none of you even KNEW a bike could travel that slowly! Lots of friendly comments from the many, many people who passed me on the hills :o - cyclists are generally such a supportive bunch! No falls, one dropped chain, and only 2 close calls (SUV and newbie cyclist on a mtn bike).

All in all, a great time, a great cause, tasty organic turkey sandwich at the end, and a free pair of socks! Who could ask for more? I hope CindySue, Trek420 and TomGrrl chime in with their reports...

cindysue
10-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi there!

What a BEAUTIFUL day! And for a great cause! It was a bit cool in the morning (I was there at 6am setting up) but things warmed up significantly by 10ish. Of course, I wasn't riding, so things warmed up for the riders much earlier than that!

My first TE siting was Ann. She was doing great as she peaked the first of the big climbs in her 2670 vertical feet for the day! Actually there were a few rollers before that! She took off just as Dita was rolling in. Dita was also doing the 30 mile, adding some major hillage to her training log. I didn't see Ellen - but I think I may have heard her! Someone yelled out my name, but it's hard to tell who's who under the helmet! I also saw several riders I had met on the training rides - everyone was enjoying the day!

The last rider (actually it was a family) came in about 11am. We started breaking down the tent and headed back to the start/finish line at about 11:20. Ann had already made it back (whoo hoo!) by the time we arrived. We set up the LUNA table/tent and met lots of great folks, with Ann and Dita stopping by for a second time to say hello :D

Looking forward to doing it again next year!

oohh! P.S. Congrats to Ann for completing her first organized ride - I see a century in her future!

Trek420
10-09-2005, 04:05 PM
The one thing I don't like about cycling is everything is waaaay too early in the morning. I got up at zero dark thirty, had coffee and toast (my bad, i always ride better on oatmeal) let Mae (faithfull dog) out and headed for Oakland.

Last year it rained right up to the night before BATO.

We had perfect weather today, clear, sunny but not too hot.

I pulled up and saw Bikerz and Tomgirrl, plus a whole lotta Velogirls pink

Registration went smoothly, Oakland Yellowjackets club do a great job organizing. We took a team picture and headed out. I felt something wrong with my tire and sure nuff I was under inflated. So I topped off and that was my one mechanical.

On the way out we stopped for the blessing of the bikes, with the traffic and drivers here I'll take any help I can get.

The first part of the ride went smoothly. After Cindysue's rest stop the real hills begin, let's see we did Old Tunnel Road, Skyline, Redwood Road...I'd never done Skyline or Redwood.

I did the 30 miles 2,660 feet of climbing. To me it does not seem like much because my normal Velogirls Sunday ride (which is now on Saturday) is about that and seem easy for me but has long flat sections, then one big long not steep hill, then the rest is flat again.

With this ride are no flat sections anywhere......ever.....except the last
mile, seems you are always climbing or descending even when it looks flat...it's not.

So I kept thinking this has *got* to be higher than 2660.

At the fork in the route where I could go right and do the 47 or 64 mile, or left and do the 30 I was scratching my head (not literaly) and right then a bunch of riders rolled up and we recognised each other from the AIDS ride. They were doing the 30.

Based on how hard the 30 miles was for me I'm not sure I could have done the 47, next year I will or longer or this but not have to get off the bike at all...or both..or....

Anyway up to that time I'd been rideing alone except for everyone who passed me.

Don't believe Bikerz when she says she's slow, she was way ahead from the start. At the first and second rest stop I saw a few of the Velogirls just ride right on past, not for me yet, i need the break and the snack.

So we hooked up and rode together. Another gal joined us "hey, you were on the AIDS ride" (it's the number on our helmets) so there were about 5 of us ALC'ers. I rode with Bob, one of our Poz pedelers for a while.

More hills, endless, more climbing, one scarey moment when I heard a yelp ahead from a rider and a car up ahead, I pulled even nearer than I normally ride to the right and a black Toyota Prius took a turn toward me cutting it close and waaaaay over the double yellow line. Obviously to threaten the bikes. Too fast for me to get his plates.

What goes up must come down. And eventualy we did. That part on Snake road was especially steep and winding.

I think it was the the steepest downhill I've ever done.

Finally into downtown Oakland, we circle the lake and head in for a delicious lunch. You gals know i only ride to eat.

I'm glad i went it was a great ride for a great cause, I hope to do it again next year. :)

tomgrrrl
10-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Well I did it.....65 miles and I survived (although that last big climb on South Park was a killer!!!!) The weather was great and it was fun to see my boardmates BikerZ and Trek420!!!

I must admit I did have a "new" bike, a Serotta Fierte "Ti" which was awsome....I had ordered it a couple weeks ago (after much soul-searching) but it arrived on Thursday and was built by the bike shop Thursday p.m. and Friday.....I picked it up Saturday and rode it for the very first time on a short loop in Marin. I was taking a chance riding a new bike, but I had had it "fit" etc. and thought it had to be better than riding my Bianchi Axis which is a cross bike.

I'm happy to report that, although I'm a bit sore and tired, nothing felt off and I think the bike and I are happy mates! I did have a flat coming down the last of the Three Bears, but I had just removed my wheel to begin the fix, when a BATO sag mechanic named Mike was driving by and stopped and had me up and flying within three minutes!

I met a friend who delivered my 7 year old and our tandem at Lake Merritt in Oakland to ride the last little bit of the ride.

OH, and guess what, I was ONE number away from taking home the LeMond bike in the raffle! No one had claimed it and I walked up...my stomach jumped when I started looking at my numbers....I had 51448 (or something like that) and the winning number was 51449!! If I had won I would have sold it quick and in a hurry to help pay for me new Serotta...oh well, can't complain.

BTW, I'd never ridden down Redwood Road into Moraga before...what an amazing road! So beautiful. In contrast, riding the back roads of the Three Bears I was dismayed to see people have used the country roads as dumping grounds.....I saw a couch, bags of garbage, etc in a number of places....Sad folks can't pay a few bucks and take the stuff to the dump eh?

6,000 feet of elevation gain.....up and down, up and down.....gotta love the Bay Area....anyway, had a great time, and was happy to raise money for a good cause (even earned myself a new jersey for the bike wardrobe)...it's been three years since my cancer surgery and I must admit I felt blessed to be able to ride.

jobob
10-09-2005, 08:49 PM
I bet none of you even KNEW a bike could travel that slowly! bwah hah hah, guess again :D

Congrats on an excellent day, all of you!

shadon
10-10-2005, 12:02 AM
It sounds like quite a ride and that a good time was had by all. I love all the AIDS riders recognizing one another. Good for you-all!

cindysue
10-10-2005, 07:28 AM
I met a friend who delivered my 7 year old and our tandem at Lake Merritt in Oakland to ride the last little bit of the ride.

Darn - sorry I missed that! Great job on South Park Road Ellen!

Met another survivor this morning at CLIFbar when I was dropping off the tent. 1 in 7 women diagnosed! :(

bikerz
10-10-2005, 08:31 AM
OH, and guess what, I was ONE number away from taking home the LeMond bike in the raffle! No one had claimed it and I walked up...my stomach jumped when I started looking at my numbers....I had 51448 (or something like that) and the winning number was 51449!! If I had won I would have sold it quick and in a hurry to help pay for me new Serotta...oh well, can't complain. Well - I actually DID win something in the raffle - no, no, not the bike :( I won what might be the ugliest tank top ever created - it has tons of ribbons and bows and tiny metal butterflies and flowers and... ugh!

Trek420
10-10-2005, 11:45 AM
costume for the AIDS ride?

Nice seeing all of you gals, what's the next get together? Cinderella? :p Velo Swap? Diablo or Jo-bob's trifecta? :)

CorsairMac
10-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Yippee skippee biker - I know how much you were looking forward to, worried about the ride, excited for it et al!! congrats on a job well done hun right up to and including the Lovely sounding tank top!!

and another round of applause for Tom and Trek!! Sounds like it was a fun day had by all! although I'm right there with ya Trek - we need to organize a bike ride the starts at like noon and ends at - say - 3 but we can SAY we rode 100!! waddya think??.....a winner???

Congrats on the new bike Tom - you had me cracking up about almost winning the bike so you could sell it to pay for the Other new bike!! Loved it!

Thanks to all of you who rode the BOA rides and/or participate in any of the functions that support breast cancer!

bikerz
10-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Hmmm -next NorCal TE outing - Maybe Mt D again? South Side? Not so gosh-darned early since it's cooler now? It would be fun to meet the famous globe-trotting Veronica!

SadieKate
10-10-2005, 02:55 PM
I thought Miss Jobob was going to plan a Mt Ham outing. I'm always up for a ride. I gotta go figure out the commute from here to Mt. Ham. Can it be done in a day? We're seriously thinking of another steelhead trip to Oregonia in a couple weeks.

I need to find the money tree. Bubba generously offered to be my full time chaffeur, ghillie and wrench boy if I could find it. Wonder if I can order seeds . . .

Trek420
10-10-2005, 06:25 PM
CorsairMac "Thanks to all of you who rode the BOA rides and/or participate in any of the functions that support breast cancer!"

Thanks Corsair, happy to do it. From a physical standpoint my legs feel like jello right now. I was never this tired on ALC, not on any day.

Either I'm waaay outa shape or that is one heck of a tough ride, and it's such an important cause. I told Bikerz that if she can do the 30 and anything else the next day, she'll be fine.

Bikerz we have ourselves a little commitment gonna get the tits smashed, I'm a few months behind on the mamogram routine. I have an appointment Friday. :cool:

bikerz
10-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Oh I know - I couldn't get an appointment 'til December, but since it will be my first time, I'm sure I'll have few follow-ups as they get a good basline :(

I pulled up to the house Sunday after the ride, and my neighbor, who just had a baby a few months ago, was heading out for her first ride since delivery - she asked if I wanted to do Tunnel road with her, and I actually though about it for a few seconds, before I came to my senses! I mean, how many times does a person need to do Tunnel Road in a day anyway? It was tempting, though, since these first few rides are probably the only time I could even keep her in sight - once she gets her legs back, she'll be GONE!

I felt OK yesterday, but I had a nutso work day, and didn't get a chance for a ride :mad: I'm going to do Tunnel Rd tonight - it will feel like a piece of cake, not having to start down at the lake, and not having to continue with Pinehurst! :D

jobob
10-11-2005, 08:02 AM
I thought Miss Jobob was going to plan a Mt Ham outing. Hoo, mee??

hmm, my Social Calendar :p is a bit packed at the moment - I have the Riv Mt. Diablo campout this coming weekend with Lee, HRH Princess Zippy and the Prince Consort, and that following week Lee & I will be off camping in Big Sur (me, camping, whoodathunk? the midlife crisis continues :rolleyes: ). We'll return in time for the ACTC Academy Graduation 100K ride that Saturday. I'll need the next day to recharge.

I might be going on a Ladies Night Out overnight tour put on by ACTC the following weekend (29th-30th) but I'm playing that by ear.

Anyone game for Mt. Hamilton the first Saturday or Sunday in November?

SadieKate
10-11-2005, 08:10 AM
(me, camping, whoodathunk? the midlife crisis continues :rolleyes:
Just take lots of babywipes and a flask with libation of choice.

Anyone game for Mt. Hamilton the first Saturday or Sunday in November?I've got it pencilled in both days on the calendar. Where was the starting point again? Perhaps we should start another thread.