PDA

View Full Version : Delving into the history of womens cycling...wow.

alexis_the_tiny
03-08-2011, 07:42 AM
So, as research for an article I'm writing, I took a dive off the deep end into womens cycling and oh my goodness, its amazing. Has anyone heard about ladies like Tillie Anderson or Margaret Gast? Because I didn't until today and I cannot believe these women are not mentioned more in cycling. They're simply too amazing. I just felt compelled to put this out there. :D

Biciclista
03-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Do a google search for Alfonsina Strada
or:

http://www.radiomarconi.com/marconi/alfonsina/alfonsina_inglese.html

zoom-zoom
03-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Cool story, Mimi.

Biciclista
03-08-2011, 08:28 AM
click on the link that takes you to the Italian version. LOTS more pictures of Alfonsina there.

redrhodie
03-08-2011, 08:36 AM
No article on the history of women's cycling would be complete without a mention of the great British legend, Beryl Burton.

TsPoet
03-08-2011, 10:17 AM
So, as research for an article I'm writing, I took a dive off the deep end into womens cycling and oh my goodness, its amazing. Has anyone heard about ladies like Tillie Anderson or Margaret Gast? Because I didn't until today and I cannot believe these women are not mentioned more in cycling. They're simply too amazing. I just felt compelled to put this out there. :D

I can't wait to read this, I hope we get access to your article.

Biciclista
03-08-2011, 11:18 AM
yes, please share your article with us when you're done.
so tell us about Beryl!

redrhodie
03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
yes, please share your article with us when you're done.
so tell us about Beryl!

My favorite story about Beryl was as she passed the only guy left ahead of her to win the 12 hour world record, she gave him a piece of licorice (can you believe a woman held the 12 hour world record for 2 years?). Now, that's a classy way to chick a guy. :D

alexis_the_tiny
03-09-2011, 05:20 AM
Mimi, I love the story of Alfonsina. As for Beryl Burton, I didn't come across her during my research. I had 5 hours to patch together an article so it didn't go as deeply into things as I'd like. It's just made its way to my editor now so will wait for his reply. But I now feel compelled to research and write stuff about each of these women in depth on my own blog. Are there any more women cyclists from the past who are awesome and I should go dig more about?

Biciclista
03-09-2011, 05:52 AM
It is really hard to find stuff on people who were house hold names 100 years ago! I don't know of any others, but hopefully someone else will see this post that does.

oz rider
03-09-2011, 02:45 PM
cyclingnews (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/international-womens-day-top-five-influential-women-in-cycling) even did a piece on women cyclists for International Women's Day.

TinyThings
03-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Never even heard about them before . . . !!!
Really nice share thanks for sharing such useful info .

alexis_the_tiny
03-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Hi ladies! The article is finally out here (http://en.cyclingtime.com/news/view/284/Great%20Women%20Cyclists%20in%20History). I'm just terribly sorry I only read about Beryl Burton and Alfonsina Strada after submission but I intend to actually start writing a series on all these women on my own blog. Would anyone be interested in a 'legends of women's cycling' type series? If so, I'll get my butt started on proposing it as a possibility.

Biciclista
03-11-2011, 07:14 AM
yes, I think that would be welcomed by many of us. After reading the book on Alfonsina, I was extremely inspired and fascinated with her life, I 'm sure there are others like her and we just don't have enough female heroes.