PDA

View Full Version : How much to drink the night before a ride?

shadon
10-07-2005, 09:32 PM
I realized after my ride in Davis with SadieKate et al, that I probably didint drink enoug the night before. So as a rule, if you're planning a ride, how much should I drink the night before to help with adequate hydration the next moring? It's assumed that I'll drink some when I get up and that I'll drink during my ride.

DeniseGoldberg
10-08-2005, 03:53 AM
In my experience, drinking the night before doesn't help my morning hydration levels - it simply guarantees more than my usual middle-of-the-night bathroom visits.

I always eat breakfast before my morning rides - and I do drink water with my breakfast. Then I make sure to drink a lot as I ride. I remember many years ago hearing the recommendation of drinking a full water bottle every hour of the ride. Is it possible that your issues were more tied to not drinking enough during your ride?

--- Denise

snapdragen
10-08-2005, 07:28 AM
I find it best not to drink the night before a bike ride.......oh! You meant water! ;)

My average water consumption is about 2 liters a day, not counting liquids besides water (juice, coffee, fruit). I can tell when I've not had enough water for the day, dry lips and mouth.

I don't think you need to super-hydrate before a ride, just be sure you drink enough all day long, and drink during the ride. I wear a hydration pack, otherwise I don't drink enough when riding.

snap "lemon drop" dragen

Irulan
10-08-2005, 12:14 PM
I understand what Shadon is asking, as my understanding of dehydration and hydtration has to do with keeping the body continually hydrated, not just trying to drink enough water an hour or two before you go out. If you body is dehydrated, that's too soon to compensate.

That being said, I try to drink a lot of water all the time, and the goal is to NOT have to get up in the middle of the night to pee.

Irulan

Trek420
10-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Irulan writes "I try to drink a lot of water all the time, and the goal is to NOT have to get up in the middle of the night to pee."

I'm confused. :confused: I have been told that if you do NOT get up at night to pee, it's likely that you're dehydrated. :confused:

Irulan
10-08-2005, 01:35 PM
hmm, never heard anything about that. I didn't say I didn't wake up early really needing to go, sometimes. :eek: :p

shadon
10-09-2005, 10:39 AM
I do think that I didn't drink enough during that ride, or yesterdays' ride over the GGB for that matter. I may invest in a camel back in order to get this down. If I can get the hydration right, I may just feel better over the length of the ride and afterwards as well.

I need to eat enough too, before the ride. I'm kind of surprised at how hungry I am during and after these rides.

alpinerabbit
10-09-2005, 10:44 AM
No more than two beers,

LOL!

DeniseGoldberg
10-09-2005, 10:53 AM
I need to eat enough too, before the ride. I'm kind of surprised at how hungry I am during and after these rides.

Eating before your ride is a start - but if the ride is more than a short one you should probably be eating during your ride too. If you're having energy problems, try food and/or an energy drink while you ride. I always carry at least one energy bar with me - even on short rides - just in case. And if I'm planning a longer ride I will either have extra food with me or plan to stop to pick up a snack.

shadon
10-09-2005, 04:52 PM
I had oatmeal and a banana for breakfast, and then ate a cliff bar right before we set off, with a good glug or three of vitamin "energy" water and drank throughout the ride. When we got to Mill Valley I inhaled a big glass of orange juice and wolfed down a big piece of quiche.. Then ate a big lunch when I got home.

I like this eating thing! But I gotta get better at eating enough before I set out. So much learn...but it's fun.

Trekhawk
10-09-2005, 04:58 PM
I had oatmeal and a banana for breakfast, and then ate a cliff bar right before we set off, with a good glug or three of vitamin "energy" water and drank throughout the ride. When we got to Mill Valley I inhaled a big glass of orange juice and wolfed down a big piece of quiche.. Then ate a big lunch when I got home.
I like this eating thing! But I gotta get better at eating enough before I set out. So much learn...but it's fun.

Ooohh after reading this I suddenly feel very hungry. Is it Tea Time yet? :)

fixedgeargirl
10-11-2005, 06:17 AM
I've had a lot of success making sure I get protein and fat into me before a long ride, along with some complex carbs. This usually takes the form of breakfast taco (one scrambled egg, some grated cheese, rolled up in a tortilla). One of these, a bar (usually Clif or Luna) and two goo packs are what I require to keep up with the club on hilly 50-60 mile rides at approx. 16mph average. A recovery drink at the end, like Endurox, takes care of the ravishing munchies post-ride. That way, I don't devour an entire bag of tortilla chips :D .

Well, that's my long-ish ride diet, though after reading a lot of posts here, I am beginning to think I am a bit of a metabolic freak :rolleyes: . Useful are the general ideas of protein pre-ride, no skimping on eating during the ride, and a smart balance of protein and carbs during that important 30 min. post-ride window.