PDA

View Full Version : Zoo-de-Mackinac

Trek-chick
02-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Anyone going to do this ride? DH and I are going to be there this year and if any TE'ers are there, I would love to meet you:D

http://www.active.com/framed/event_detail.cfm?EVENT_ID=1924706&CHECKSSO=0

beccaB
02-24-2011, 05:52 AM
Is it a century?

Trek-chick
02-24-2011, 06:08 AM
No, I think it is around 50 miles (give or take a few) from Boyne Highlands to Mackinac Island.

Trek-chick
02-24-2011, 06:10 AM
"The bike ride starts Saturday morning at Boyne Highlands Resort and spans 51 miles along Lake Michigan on a paved road with very little automobile traffic. Riders pedal through rolling countryside and trillium covered forests, along sandy beaches, and are surrounded by breathtaking views of Lake Michigan from 400' high bluffs.

We stop approximately half way, at a unique place called the Legs Inn for a leisurely lunch and to swap stories. The ride continues on to Mackinaw City, where Arnold Ferry boats have been chartered for the ride over to Mackinac Island."

Catrin
02-24-2011, 07:57 AM
It looks like a lot of fun! It doesn't say much about the 51 mile ride back to your car the next day :)

Trek-chick
02-24-2011, 08:00 AM
I know they have a shuttle service running, but DH and I are planning to take our RV and tow my car so, we will essentially have our own private shuttle:D if we can find a place to park it overnight.

beccaB
02-24-2011, 08:52 AM
I suppose it goes north on that "tunnel of trees" , you know , the road with no lane markers because it's a very narrow road. I think going north on it is harder. I've gone south on it and it was breathtaking, but even still I was wishing for some lower gears!

TrekTheKaty
05-10-2011, 08:05 AM
I rode it several years ago, and it is hillier in the beginning than I expected. Beautiful ride through Tunnel of Trees. I'd driven it several times, but everything is more beautiful on a bike!

Lots of lightly travelled rural roads after the Leggs Inn. Flat into Mackinac.

Trek-chick
05-10-2011, 10:44 AM
I am so excited. DH and I are actually playing hookey from work Fri to make it a nice long weekend up north. We plan to take the RV (of course) and stay at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground.

I purchased one of the ride jerseys on-line and just got it last week. My first event jersey ever!!!!:p I just hope it doesn't rain that Saturday.

withm
05-10-2011, 10:52 AM
I am sooooo going to do this ride. Someday.

Actually I'll probably be up that way in a couple weeks but more on the NE side.